Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
By far the big issue is being able to insure your master piece for anything remotly close to its "illusive" value
Insurance? what's that?

Of course, regardless of your boat's value you probably do want liability insurance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
What sailboats are worth restoring?
The one the person without the cash to buy a boat in good condition, nor desire (or ability) to borrow the money to do so is thinking of. It allows someone to buy a project at any level from needing a bit of work to probably the condition of the Vega on the other threads. And with money spent on a pay as you go basis and a lot of sweat equity they get a boat they couldn't afford to pay cash for. I think a lot of people do this. One only has to look at threads on this site, the Plastic Classic forum and the owner's groups. Hopefully they do a reasonable job of it. Because the problem with fiberglass boats is they don't go away, easily at least. Old wooden boats when totally ignored to eyesore stage have the decency to fade from sight eventually through rot and decay. But an ugly, ignored, filthy fiberglass boat seems to last forever.
Old 02-08-2010

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmac View Post
Here's a Hinckley in bad shape. Photo was posted on another board.

Look! The Hinckley Queen Family Truckster!

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 02-08-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
I would say anything that can be brought back to life in one off season, but I like sailing more than restoring.
Good Point
Old 02-08-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreeoff View Post
I would say my Catalina 30 (85) was and is a good resto project....but then again I am biased! BUT after all new rigging, sails, electric, plumbing, interior refinishing etc I will only be in it for about 15k and that is a good deal!. I am putting a value of ZERO on my labor but I will keep her for some time so the illusionary 50k in labor dont matter now does it? They do seem to hold their resale though.

Josh
I would be interested in that project. Have you written it up any place?
What did it cost?
What about the engine?
Mind giving us a general breakdown on the budget items?
Old 02-08-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
The restore in one season will depend upon free time you have to do the work, assuming you are doing the work! In Charlies case right now, he appears to have a few $$$ in the bank, maybe some unemployment to work a lot on Oh Joy! So potentially he could restore her in one season,

Mean while if he was back at Boeing working as some are, 50-70 hrs a week, said restore of Oh Joy might take 5-10 yrs!

In the end, it still comes down to the depends part, what your finances are, what you like, are willing to do etc. You could buy an older X-Yacht, take it to Denmark, and the factory will restore/refinish everything, and turn around and give you a 2 yr warranty to boot!

Or as some have done, restore older woodies like Oh Joy. Or the USS Constitution or equal. If that boat went away, it would not exist in any way shape or form.

What is the "restore" part of the restore are we doing. Sailing does an issue, January?!?!?! or there abouts with 4-6 boats that were bought used, and they show what someone did with up to 30-50% of base cost to make said boat really usable again. The % will depend upon what type of boat, and initial cost.

But as Brian? mentioned, plastic boats are relatively easy to restore per say! Wood on the other hand, it might be easier to build a new one, if you are talking an Oh Joy or equal.

I know my boat I am into it about 40K with a 20K used cost, with new cushions, varnish inside, head/hull liner, sails, lines, deck gear etc. Then again, not sure I needed to spend 15K on the cushions......but as they say, momma ain't happy, no one's happy!

In the mean time, I figure I have another 20 yrs before my boat will be like it was a few yrs back at 20 yrs old!

Marty
Old 02-08-2010

Marty
I don't think a wooden boat is harder to restore per se. For me or anyone not used to wood construction it is. And I think more skill is certainly required for wood restoration. But there are people with wood boats that find it easy to spile a new plank and don't want to work with glass and what that entails. I do think it is certainly easier to learn to work on a glass boat if you're diligent and handy with tools but have no prior experience. Even engine work isn't hard if you aren't totally inept and can read a manual. Don't force anything to the extent of breaking it and if you're stumped take the part to the expert. At least don't pay the expert his hourly rate to visit the boat and remove bolts that you are able to. Glass and epoxy work is easily learned as well I think.
What I was trying to say earlier is at least a neglected old wooden boat will eventually rot away and sink out of sight as they are basically biodegradeable but a neglected ugly mouldy fiberglass boat seems to be an eyesore forever.
Old 02-08-2010

Brian,

You are correct in the wood vs glass options. Having built two boat, ie an 8' pram and 12' sloop. like workng in wood, and do do work n construction, granted landscape construction........but none the less. What is entailed in the restore, "IF" doing it yourself, you need to choose a resto that has parts and pieces that the person doing the work can and will do themselves. IF NOT< then the resto will be a waist in most cases. Such as me trying to restore Oh Joy, I'd be taking so many short cuts it would be silly to try and do the work. For what I did to Amoretto, it was all fun and games for me! stuff I could do a weekend here, there and along the way, meanwhile, I was sailing her during the roughly 3 yrs the work took!

So to me, while a season is a good thing to look at, not sure that a season is what should limit your resto, "IF" you can do it like I did, in parts and pieces over 3 yrs, then it was freetime relaxing at the boat meanwhile, it got me out of doing yard work! in my own home, as that is my wifes relaxation. for me it is work! wonder why?!?!?!?!?LOLOLOL

marty
Old 02-08-2010

I rebuilt (not restored) a wooden sailboat in 1970 and like working with wood - I used to work for a company that built interiors for Columbia 26 & 34 built in Canada by Coopers and worked for a fine furniture company after that. I also used to own a 35' wooden boat and rebuilt a lot of the interior on her. But I think it takes more devotion to do what is being done to Oh Joy. And I think a wooden restoration should be more "classic" somehow. The wooden restorations all seem to be boats with pedigree and that is how it should be. But what most of us are doing is more of a rebuild to make it work (as good or better than new) and look ok as well as some modifications and upgrades. And were they wood with some exceptions I don't think most would be considered "classics". My boat included. I'm not saying we're doing a bad job but the boats aren't all Swans and Hinckleys. Every once in a while you see an Alberg, Triton, or other real classic design that has been truly "restored" like the 200k chevys you see on Barrett-Jackson but those are the exception and not the rule. And that's how it should be as that first ding on a pristine awlgrip paint job hurts a lot. We're rebuilding to use not restoring to show.

ps That Hinckley wouldn't have been that beautiful when new in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2010

Re the Hinkley, ALL boats as to what is pretty is overall in the eye of the beholder, but, I do agree, it would probably not be that pretty to me overall either even when new.

But then, I thought I would never see an ugly Swan either, and they built very few 38' version of one boat that is currently for sale here in Seattle, I would not pay what they are asking for it nor would I own it if it was 10K US$$! Now a Club Swan 42....oh la la. But some would say that is too ugly too.......

But the mors of us are rebuilding to use, not show is correct. Unless you have an older early 1900's classic woodie, ala 6M or some other classic boat with a pedigree to her. Othewise, chainsaw/fireplace time!