Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010

bellefonte is on a distinguished road
Buccaneer 210 on the cheap - worth it?

Here it is: Sail Boat..MUST SELL!!!

I think i can get this boat at $500. It has no motor and no trailer.
It has a 2' draft on a long keel.
Sails are in good condition
BUCCANEER 210 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com (units English)

I have to wonder if it will fit a regular boat trailer with extended hull runners since it has a long keel. It is currently in a slip, is not leaking and the owner is moving; cant take it with him.

We are just looking for a weekend lake boat at this point. Should I really buy a $300 survey for a $500 boat? I was thinking I could do a self survey, but insurance would be an issue.
All I would need to do is find a trailer, which will cost more than the boat.

pass or fail? Not worth the risk?

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes

Last edited by bellefonte; 02-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
These are not great boats on any criteria of judgement...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-09-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
What Faster said is precisely right. These are miserable boats on all counts. The guy could not pay you enough to take it off his hands. Friends don't let friends by boats like these.

Just saying.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 02-09-2010
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
While I agree that there weren't many boats worse than a Bucc, you're also not going to find a decent boat of any kind for 500 bucks. I can guarantee a very slow boat, and also one that likely leaks through the windows and chainplates. Leaks can be fixed, slow will never be fixed. If the boat is in reasonable condition (have a knowledgeable friend look at it) and you can live with going slow and fixing leaks, then why not?

As an owner of a cousin of the Bucc (my boat also built by Bayliner) I can tell you that my boat had excellent construction of the hull and deck. Hand layup on everything but furniture installation. Then they cheaped out. Cheap hatches, cheap ports, cheap hardware, cheap rigging, and all installed cheaply. I don't know how good the basic construction of a Bucc 21 is, but it might not be all bad. Especially for $500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 02-09-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
But Buccaneer is such a seaworthy name for a boat brand?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-09-2010
Catalina 25

jjrunning is on a distinguished road
I have to agree... Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. They aren't constructed well, nor do they sail well. Plus the cost of a trailer can be up to $4000 alone if you have to buy a new one... And in my opinion wouldn't be worth modifying a trailer for a Bucc... Just my $0.02.
Old 02-09-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
"Run Forest Run!" or some such thing!

I will admit I know of a couple that have done well with these abominations of a sailboat. then again, macs sell too.............

Good luck if you do buy it!
Old 02-09-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
OK, gotta stick up for the little Bucc....

Ugly, slow, bad performer? Yes, definitely.
But, easy to sail (slowly), very forgiving, stable, very roomy for a 21 footer and usually priced very well.

My first boat was a Bucc 21, and while it was not a great performance boat, it was in good shape, cheap, could be trailered with my 2WD V6 truck easily, and had room for me, my wife, and two little girls to stay on it for up to 5 days. Yes, we actually stayed on it for that long! While I would not want to take it out in open water; lakes, rivers, and protected inlets (like the south puget sound) are perfect for it.

While its not a great boat, even quite bad, it was a cost efficient way to get us on the water, and safe for the locations we sailed her. We could not afford a bigger boat that would have required a larger tow vehicle, could not afford year around moorage, and could not fit all of us on other boats in this size / weight range.

I would say if you can get a different boat that will meet your needs, you should, but if you need the things this boat has, its all that's affordable, you can live with the performance issues, its in operational condition, go for it.

As for the trailer issue though, a modified trailer most likely will not be a good option. If you need a boat on a trailer, look for one on a trailer. At least look for a trailer that will fit it before buying it.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Bryan
Old 02-09-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I had some friends (husband and wife) who had a similar Buccaneer, perhaps a couple feet bigger, on a small inland lake, and they loved the boat. They camped on it at the lake every weekend for twenty years, socailized with all the other sailors, spent many hours sailing the boat up and down the lake, and treated their grandchildren to many outings on grandpa's boat, . What's best of all, is that they derived so much pleasure from such a small investment. For them, it was the perfect sailboat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.