Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2003

1Rsalsman23 is on a distinguished road
need some help

Hi Sailor girl. First, let me say I agree with the old boyfriend. Stay away from Hunters. If you want a better midrange boat which hasn''t yet gone out of business, try a Beneteau First series, or possibly a Catalina.
I am in Kentucky and have been sailing here for years. While I understand your lack of interest in racing, keep in mind that the winds tend to the lighter side in KY, particularly in the summer. So a heavy cruiser may not be practical. (I should know, it has been my dream to sail a Tayana or an old Allied Mistress or Princess. Far too heavy to sail well in our waters.)
So, my advice would be to stick with the lighter coastal cruisers. If you like accomodations, Catalina makes a nice mid-size boat which should be available in your price range. But the Beneteau Firsts are better sailers.
Good luck on your search.
See you on the water!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
need some help

Sailor girl, A frind of mine has a nice Catalina 25/with trailer for sale.The boat is located in upstate S.C. If you''re interested,let me know and I''ll send you his e-mail address.
Old 02-06-2003

h37skipper is on a distinguished road
need some help

Guess you won''t be getting much input from any of us thousands of happy Hunter owners.
Old 02-06-2003

dpinorm is on a distinguished road
need some help

If it''s good advice to stay away from Hunters, I wonder how Hunter got to be the largest manufacturer of cruising sailboats in the US.
Old 02-06-2003

jparker11 is on a distinguished road
need some help

Sailor Girl,

A lot of good advice. But your Kentucky Lakes are fantastic boating areas. The current fleet of sailing vessels on the lakes is impressive. As you intend to use it as a lakeside cottage for the kids, go for the biggest, newest most feature filled one currently on the Tenn. River the old pocket book can take. The perfect boat would be a BenneHuntalina purchased new by a furlowed airline pilot that is lightly used but marina maintained. Your budget precludes a new purchase, but will surely get you the pick of the litter in the used market in that area. Purchasing out of area seems a waste of money to transport and commission.

If you can hook your kids on sailing with this plan, my job will have been done. And the amenities found on post 1990 Benneteaus, Hunters and Catalinas will make this a lot easier to set the hook!! See what is available on the lakes first. You might check out broker listings on yachtworld.com

Good Luck

PS There are elitist views held by owners of each of the big 3, as well as the "have not''s" which must be culled through and taken with a grain of salt.
Old 02-06-2003

sailor girl is on a distinguished road
need some help

Thanks to everyone. And I do like Hunters myself.
Old 02-06-2003
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
need some help

Don''t know what part of TN you are in, but if you can get to Memphis, you can find a bunch of boats to look at at Rooke Sails, as well as access to some in the water. You can check them out at www.rookesails.com. Good luck in your search.

Fair winds
John
Old 02-07-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
need some help

Don''t let the anti Hunter talk scare you away from them. Many of us (myself included) don''t like them because we feel they don''t look like a sailboat should look. There are many happy hunter owners who know their way around a boat.
Old 02-19-2003

lauralee is on a distinguished road
need some help

Sailor girl,

We''ve sailed on Kentucky Lake for five years. At least a 30ft boat is really the way to go for a family with 3 growing children. I recommend 6ft headroom for your comfort. It''s really important to get the kids hooked and interested in the process of sailing and anchoring. Ours lost interest I''m afraid, and seldom accompany us.

Kentucky Lake sailing is a great adventure with seasonal aspects which include wonderful spring and fall seasons and variable winds in the summer. There are lots of places to stop and beautiful places to see.

Hope to see you on the lake!
Old 02-19-2003

lauralee is on a distinguished road
need some help

Check out greenturtlebay.com and lighthouselanding.com (both in Grand Rivers in Kentucky) for a 32 Endeavor and a 31 Hunter you might consider.