Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2003

sailor girl is on a distinguished road
need some help

Thanks Lauralee, I have seen the Hunter on sale at Lighthouse landing. As soon as the weather clears I hope to get up there and check it out. Do you keep your boat up there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2003

need some help

Anyone out there near St. Louis and the St Louis Sailing Center in Bridgeton MO? They seem to also have a nice selection of boats for sale. I read in a sailing magazine the the further north you go the more expensive the boats get. They said Fl, (my old home state), gives you the best buy since a lot of folks drop big $$ on a boat and then realize they don''t like sailing as much as they thought they would. Any feedback on this? How much would it cost to get a boat sailed from FL to TN? Any ideas? After I complete my coastal cruising course I would like to learn navigation and get my captains license. What is involved in this process? And last but not least, anyone out there ever chartered a boat in the VI? I found a great web site, Conch Charter, that has great prices on charters. Rambling, I know, but I will take advice and info from all. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2003

need some help

Anyone out there near St. Louis and the St Louis Sailing Center in Bridgeton MO? They seem to also have a nice selection of boats for sale. I read in a sailing magazine the the further north you go the more expensive the boats get. They said Fl, (my old home state), gives you the best buy since a lot of folks drop big $$ on a boat and then realize they don''t like sailing as much as they thought they would. Any feedback on this? How much would it cost to get a boat sailed from FL to TN? Any ideas? After I complete my coastal cruising course I would like to learn navigation and get my captains license. What is involved in this process? And last but not least, anyone out there ever chartered a boat in the VI? I found a great web site, Conch Charter, that has great prices on charters. Rambling, I know, but I will take advice and info from all. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2003

steveghunt is on a distinguished road
need some help

Hi,
close to retiring we are thinking seriously of buying a new IP 420. We want to cruise, wife and I, AND LIVE ABOARD FOR UP TO 3 MONTHS AT A GO. Want to cross the Atlantic from Europe. I have over 6000 miles but nearly all short hops, 200 miles max, in a "J" class!!!! Does anyone have any comment on the 420 generally, is the speed issue significant as compared to other cruisers of this size?
Thanks
Steve
Old 02-20-2003
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
need some help

Steve,

The merits and demertis of IPs have been discussed on here quite a bit. Check back under prior topics in this category and some will pop up. There''s a recent thread on the IP37 for example. In general, people either love IPs or hate them. The choice is yours.

While there are many reasons to buy an IP, speed is not one of them. I couldn''t find a PHRF rating for the 420, but here are some for boats in the 40 foot range to compare, most in the general quality range of the IP:

IP40 -- 156
Caliber 40 -- 120 (Caliber competes almost directly with IP)
Sabre 40 -- 75
Dehler 41 --84
Morris 40 --129
J-40 -- 78
Crealock 40 -- 174
Saga 43 -- 90
Catalina 400 -- 129 (for grins)

As you can see, the only boat the IP would beat is the Crealock 40. IP owners will tell you that IPs have a smoother motion and will deliver the crew home in a more rested state. IP detractors point out that the crew will need to be more rested because they will be out there longer compared to a faster boat. Despite what some say, I think speed is another safety factor to consider along with hull strength, rigging strength, etc. It needs to be part of the equation.

Having said that, it''s really what''s important to you. IP makes a terrific boat with a strong following. But there are a number of other terrific boats out there that will get you home 10-20 percent faster (more or less), which can add up on a long voyage, especially if a storm''s brewing.
Old 02-20-2003

steveghunt is on a distinguished road
need some help

Thanks for the reply. The retirement bit means that I need a boat for cruising and one that my wife will enjoy. As usual I guess there will have to be some compromise in that my preferred speed is double digit stuff!
rgds
Steve
Old 02-20-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
need some help

A sailboat will also do double digit speeds, but one of them may have a decimal point in front of it. ;^)

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 02-20-2003

lauralee is on a distinguished road
need some help

We have our 30ft Buccaneer 305 at Jonathan Creek which is about 13 miles south of Grand Rivers. We are weekend sailors too and have sailed up to lighthouse landing. We''ve looked at boats there and at Green Turtle Bay.

We had our current boat trucked up from Texas for around $1500.00. You can get rates from movers recommended by a broker, or look for someone local to the lakes area. I''ll be glad to look up the number of the mover we used for you if you find you need it.

If you can find a boat on or near the lakes of course, you can spend more on the boat and have the pleasure of getting to do your own delivery.

Old 02-20-2003

lauralee is on a distinguished road
need some help

Here''s the boat mover we used: eboathauling.com

Very professional, we have nothing but praise for the guy.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-20-2003

kddmhc is on a distinguished road
need some help

My wife and I recently purchased a 1985 Catalina 30... as a first boat I don''t think we could have made a better selection considering the budgett we were working with. Plenty of room for two people and easy to sail for beginners.
Having said that, those children of yours are going to be 11, 12, and 15 in just three years, and I''m not sure that I would want to spend long weekends on our boat with five people, three of whom are entering their teen years. I would definitely see if a 34'' or 36'' boat is in your budget range, if a boat that large does not limit your sailing range too much.
You seem to have a good idea of what you want...I hope you have as much fun as we are.

Good Luck,
Keith