Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Where to buy that new boat?

I bought my first boat at a local show and now that I'm preparing to buy my next boat, I'm wondering where will I be in a better position to negotiate a good deal? At the US Sailboat Show in Annapolis or at my local dealer? Do manufacturers have special incentives at the shows or do they allow the local dealers to offer the same?

I've done my homework and know the entire debate between buying new and pre-owned, so let's keep in mind that this is not the intent of this thread.

Responses from new boat buyers would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What's your time frame? If you can buy before the sailboat show, you might be able to get a really good deal on a boat that is IN INVENTORY. Having a boat sit in inventory is tough for boat dealers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2010
Master & Commander

At this point, I'm planning for the 2011 season. The Annapolis show is in October 2010, so I would have to check on local inventory before the show. One advantage of buying at the show would be not having to start making payments until delivery in the spring of 2011, where if I made a deal for a boat in inventory, I would be expected to start making payments immediately.
Old 02-12-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with ordering a new boat now, letting them use your boat for the show, some dealers discount heavily for using a boat in a show!

If the dealer ordered boat does not fit your needs, say you want a taller performance rig, or a std main, and there boat is in mast main furling. most will order for you, and deliver based on you wants.

Personally, I do not feel there is a right or wrong. Locally, the boats in the show a week or so ago, were listed the same at, before and after the show. Sometimes there are better deals at the show, but others, I really wonder.

Marty
Old 02-12-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
All the suggestions that where posted are very good...and they are valid also in Europe. So that one is probably valid in the US:

You don't need to buy on your local dealer, you can buy the boat in any dealer. If it is a big production boat, you will have a lot of dealers, some not very far away. Normally the bigger ones (the ones that sell more boats) can offer you the best prices. Then you can ask to your home dealer if he can match the best price you have. That's another way of getting a good deal.
Old 02-12-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
When buying a new boat in 1999, I ran in to the dealer "territory" issue...I live in western VA and wanted to buy a new 36 XXX..called the factory, and they said I was in a MD dealer's region...so I should contact them, after several tries, I posted to an owners list for that make and model. A dealer in VA responded with a quote, pictures, invitation to visit Deltaville, and a test sail date with the added comment he would work me in at my option, if the date given was not a good one.

Having heard nary a word from the MD dealer, I bought the boat from the VA dealer. Only then did I hear from the MD dealer, as it turns out the factory inventory was moved from his dealership to the one in VA, the VA dealer got the commission, credit for the sale from the manufacturer.

The lesson for the sales team, is that they need to respond to inquiries, or at least return the phone call.

I told the factory when they called, that the selling dealer did ALL the work and he should get all the commission.

The show prices are good, but I would hedge my bets, and buy now, before the market changes...you should be able to get your choice of boats, with good equipment freebies, as well as super financing...and if they want to pay you to have YOUR boat at the show....even more leverage if you are game.

dave
Old 02-12-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
I suspect buying close to the factory might help. I noticed that the price in the PNW for a new boat made on the east coast was almost 30% more. It has me seriously considering buying new boats and relocating them...if I had the money, LOL.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 02-14-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Even if you wait to buy the boat at the Annapolis Show you'll still likely work with the same dealer. Most manufacturers have dealer territories which are based on where you live. Of course you still have the choice to buy from who you want. You'll probably get your best deal if your local dealer has the boat you want in stock. In the current economy they're interested in moving existing inventory, particullary if it's been sitting for a while. Many will limit what they bring in for stock after existing inventory sells, which will in turn force you to order. Any new order boat will most likely carry a higher price tag. If you're concerned with making payments talk to the dealer about delaying delivery. Depending on the circumstances they may be flexible on the date. The bottom line is, buying a boat out of inventory and doing so sooner than later is generally your best bet. Good luck with you decision.
Old 02-15-2010
Master & Commander

Is there any concern for a new boat in dealer inventory sitting on the hard for over a year?
Old 02-15-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
BoxedUp, ours had sat for apx a year and we've not had any issues with it.