Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2003

paddyw is on a distinguished road
first sailboat

hello. I''m looking to purchase my first sailboat. I''ve owned powerboats for a number of years, and now desire to be more involved than just pushing a throttle down. I''m looking for something cheap, easy and fun to sail and can be used for weekending for one or two and daysailing for up to four. And a dog. I''ve noticed that there are a number of c & c''s 24 that can be had quite inexpensively. reading back, they seem to be somewhat popular. If I enjoy cruising on a sailboat, I''ll move up to a larger boat very quickly. Possibly next year. Just want to get my feet wet in the sailing world. Also, O''days seem like a possible choice. I''m on the Great Lakes, Lake Erie to be exact. Any thought and or opinions? I have about $3500 to $5k to spend. I''ve been sailing before, but only for afternoon cruises and enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2003

h37skipper is on a distinguished road
first sailboat

Where on Lake Erie? In other words, open water or bay? I find that there are not a lot of weekends where conditions are suitable for a small, tender sailboat. Small is OK if seaworthy. If you have more time(retired?) or have protected water then you should find conditions suitable for almost anything in the 24'' range.

The C&C is a relatively light and fast sailboat. It will handle any conditions that you can. But there are more comfortable boats of that size for those NW winds and 6-foot breakers.
Old 02-06-2003

paddyw is on a distinguished road
first sailboat

In the Cleveland area. Yeah, it would be used mostly open water. Are you in the area? I also know of an Chrysler 26 that can be had for cheap. It''s in really good condition. But I''ve read that they''re not really good sailers. As a new sailor, would I be able to notice the difference? Origina;;y, I looked for larger boats, in the 28-32 foot range. But decided it wasn''t too smart to jump into something blindly.
Old 02-07-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
first sailboat

A Beginner need a good sailing boat more than an experienced sailor. An experienced sailor can make alomost anything sail as well as it possibly can but a beginner needs all of the help and input that he can get.

Jeff
Old 02-07-2003

Stan S is on a distinguished road
first sailboat

Are daily rentals available in your area ? This would give you the opportunity to try different boats. And the cost maybe less then buying this year and then trading up next year.
Old 02-07-2003

h37skipper is on a distinguished road
first sailboat

We are in Huron(Harbor North) because we wanted easy island access. Further West is nice if you don''t mind Cedar Point traffic. Then you can be on Sandusky Bay. Since we leave the river into open water we opted for a larger boat, 37 feet. And it is our first although we rented daysailers and Hobies over the years. Call Harbor North(800-451-SAIL) and see when they have their sailing weekend. You can sail for a few bucks donation, it is a charity event. Lots of used boats there also. My sailing instructor raced a Chrysler 26 for years by the way. He now works at Harbor North(Tim Schmidts). See www.harbornorth.com .
Old 02-07-2003

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
first sailboat

Years ago I raced against a well-sailed Chrysler 26. For a family cruiser, it pointed well and had good speed. If it is really in good condition, it seems to me that it would be a good choice for your purposes. (Weekending and family cruising, until you move up to a bigger boat in a couple of years.) There are better boats, but you don''t need a better boat now. You need a starter boat that will meet your immediate needs.
Old 02-07-2003

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
first sailboat

A number of years ago I crewed aboard an older Catalina 27 for a week of so on Lake Michigan. I liked the boat and when the owner sold it he got less than 5K for it. These boats are seaworthy and roomy and are a common sight on L. Michigan.
Old 02-09-2003

followrule90 is on a distinguished road
first sailboat

The Catalina 22 fits all your requirements. I have never sailed before. Last spring I purchased a used 22 in relatively good condition with a trailer. I took a one week introductory sailing course at a local school.
I sail Lake Ontario. My wife four kids and the family dog daysail quite comfortably on it. It is easy to sail. It has a pop top for added head room as well as ventalation. Loads of room in the cockpit for a boat that size.The list goes on and on.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.