Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2003

algernon is on a distinguished road
Helms 24 Information?

I am currently considering to buy a sailboat (my first) to sail on the Potomac south of DC. I am looking at a Helms 24 amongst others (Rhodes 22, Catalina 22, Beneteau 23). I have never heard of Helms before but the design and cabin layout looks interesting. Does anyone have any experience and/or information about Helms? Designer, Builder, Quality, Reputation, etc... Thanks a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Helms 24 Information?

Helms was a small Florida builder of inexpensive, mediocre designed boats. For the most part these are neither good boats nor are they really awful. If I remember which model this is correctly, one area of problems with these boats is the encapsulation envelope which in at least one discussion between owners tends to leak and be very hard to repair.

Jeff
Old 02-14-2003

sailcharlotte is on a distinguished road
Helms 24 Information?

algernon, disregard the reply from jeff. helms yachts were produced in irmo s.c. from the early 70''s until the mid 80''s. jack helms was a funiture builder who also buit y-flyers and lightnings. in the early 70''s he basicly copied the catalina 22 but added 3 feet to the cockpit. around 76 he started to produce the 24, which was designed by a john holmes,ha ha. i own two 24''s and though ive raced, and owned many other boats my 1981 helms 24 is still my baby, even thoug she is no speedster.(on par with a catalina 25 speed wise but much better quality wise with a really nice interior. helms also built a 27(a streached 24) a 30 and a 33 of which only 11 were built i believe. do a google search for helms,24,sailboat and see what you come up with. good luck. michael
Old 02-19-2003

sailorman_10 is on a distinguished road
Helms 24 Information?

Sailcharlottes reply is correct. Helms Yachts were built in Irmo SC not in Florida. The build quality of the hull is excellent and the quality of the overall boat is good for the time. I sail a helms 30 that is all original and holding up very well after 23 years. Original sails, rigging, mast, wiring, engine,etc... outside of normal maintaince items. As with anything else, it has to be maintained. The fit and finish of the interior is a little lacking but for the money, it is fine. On the performance side, even with my 23 year old sails I can outrun most other 30 footers that aren''t tricked out for racing. Reefed down in a blow she handles well and her lines are far prettier than other plastic of the time and especially compared to the looks of modern tubs.

Randy
Old 02-25-2003

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
Helms 24 Information?

Algernon,

I recently bought a Helms 24 docked at Washington Sailing Marina on the Potomac. I can put you in touch with the Helms owners'' email list, website, etc. and give you links to blue book values for used Helms and other info. Email me at: aflanigan@comcast.net

Allen Flanigan

Alexandria, VA
Old 02-25-2003

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
Helms 24 Information?

Michael,

According to the surveyor (Peter Hartoft) who surveyed my boat prior to purchase, the 24 was designed by Stuart G. Windley. Can''t really find anything on the internet to confirm this, though.
Old 09-03-2007

SaltyRob is on a distinguished road
Helms 24 Information

I just ran across this thread and I happen to have a copy of the Helms 24 Brochure. The Helms 24 was designed by Stuart G. Windley, Built by Jack A. Helms Co. of Irmo, SC. My vessel was orginally purchased from P. Evanson Boat Co, Inc. Riverside NJ(now G. Winter Sailing Center). I very much enjoyed it, sailed it mostly on the Delaware River, but did take it to the Cheasapake Bay. Would buy another one if I were in the market for that size boat.
Old 09-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SaltyRob-

It is generally considered poor net etiquette to revive dead threads...like this one... it would probably be better if you started your own thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Lighten up, Dog. He provided good information that flows well with the rest of the thread. Anyone looking for info on the Helms 24 will find it all right here. Or would you rather have it spread all over, like the coffee pot threads? (G)
skygazer likes this.
Old 09-03-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyRob View Post
I just ran across this thread and I happen to have a copy of the Helms 24 Brochure. The Helms 24 was designed by Stuart G. Windley, Built by Jack A. Helms Co. of Irmo, SC. My vessel was orginally purchased from P. Evanson Boat Co, Inc. Riverside NJ(now G. Winter Sailing Center). I very much enjoyed it, sailed it mostly on the Delaware River, but did take it to the Cheasapake Bay. Would buy another one if I were in the market for that size boat.
Rob,
Does that brochure have a usable sailplan? I don’t have one for that boat so if it’s readable is there any way you can send me a copy?
Thanks and all the best,
Robert Gainer