Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010

Winderlust is on a distinguished road
Question About State Sales/Use Taxes

I didn't want to hijack the Tanny Thread, though my questions are similar.

I am ignorant and poking around on the internet hasn't helped yet.

If I buy a boat in Rhode Island or any state with no sales/use tax, document it with the USCG, so I can cruise internationally, and then after a few years, I bring the boat to a new home port in California or some state with sales/use tax, would I owe that state the tax? If so would it be at the purchase price a few years back or a current appraised value?

I take it that if you buy a boat in a sales/use tax state and bring it home to a sales/use tax state, I only have to pay the tax in the state where I home port it, not both state taxes. Is that so?

If so than it appears there is no real tax advantage to buying a boat in said non-tax state, unless I plan to keep the boat home ported there. Isn't that right?

Does anyone know of a current source for information about taxes/fees/duties levied by states and governments pertaining to boat purchase and travel?

It seems that this information would help in comparing boat prices (all else being equal) and help in travel plans. Have I made too much of taxes and am I barking up the wrong tree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not sure about everything myself. BUT, If you bought a boat back east, say the ST was 6%, paid the ST, then brought it here to Washington where I am, you would have to pay the state and local county/city tax, totalling up to about 9.5%. BUT< you only have to pay the difference of what you paid, up to the total of Washingtons tax, or 3.5% additional.

THen the how long you can stay out of Here, or any state, and not pay, I believe depends upon the state, CA IIRC from some other posts here and elsewhere, is 6 months out of state and not having to pay the CA tax when you bring it into the state. I believe Wa where I am is similar. WHile I know and understand the laws from a business ownere, collecting from clients and paying to the state, some of the laws, as you are asking here, I know vaguely

Marty
Old 02-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderlust View Post
I didn't want to hijack the Tanny Thread, though my questions are similar.

I am ignorant and poking around on the internet hasn't helped yet.

If I buy a boat in Rhode Island or any state with no sales/use tax, document it with the USCG, so I can cruise internationally, and then after a few years, I bring the boat to a new home port in California or some state with sales/use tax, would I owe that state the tax? If so would it be at the purchase price a few years back or a current appraised value?
I doubt that you would pay sales tax on it, since it is something that you already own and are merely bringing into the state. This is generally the case. For instance, if you buy a car and use it while living in a state with no sales tax for several years, then you move to california, they don't require you to pay sales tax on the car when you register it there, since it hasn't been bought or sold—it is an already owned possession.

However, if you were to buy it in a state with no sales tax and then MOVE TO california within the same year, California would probably try to charge you the sales tax, and they might succeed. YMMV, and you should check with an attorney or accountant with knowledge of the tax codes in question.

Quote:
I take it that if you buy a boat in a sales/use tax state and bring it home to a sales/use tax state, I only have to pay the tax in the state where I home port it, not both state taxes. Is that so?

If so than it appears there is no real tax advantage to buying a boat in said non-tax state, unless I plan to keep the boat home ported there. Isn't that right?

Does anyone know of a current source for information about taxes/fees/duties levied by states and governments pertaining to boat purchase and travel?

It seems that this information would help in comparing boat prices (all else being equal) and help in travel plans. Have I made too much of taxes and am I barking up the wrong tree?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-20-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
You'll need to research the tax laws of all the coastal states to get a sure answer. And in some of them, you won't pay sales or use tax--but ypou'll pay state or county PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX every year based on the value of the boat.

Taxes will also vary with where you are declaring residency, and whether the boat is in a particular venue more than 90 (or 180 or 183 or...) days.

Sorry, but unless you pick a particular state, there's no easy way to research or answer your question. Generally? Most states would allow a boat you owned for a long time to come in without taxes, or with just a payment of the difference in taxes, when you moved in. Others might hit you with taxes and penalties and interest back to the day you bought it, if they though you were just evading taxes.

And of course, in four years all the tax laws can be very, very, different. I don't think you can be certain of anything except "buy it now, pay the venue now" and worry about the rest when you pick your new home.
Old 02-21-2010

SPC is on a distinguished road
I would only add dinner party talk with an attorney from our tax board in CA that boats are something that they target for sales tax because of the large price tags.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.