Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010

Tanny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Tanny
Getting help to move a boat

Hello,

I may be purchasing a used boat in the Galveston Bay area, Texas.

I live in Canada, and am in the process of selling everything in order to move onto the boat this summer. My goal is to cruise in the Caribbean for a few years.

The question I have is, how do I find someone to help me sail the boat from Texas to the leewards?

I don't have enough experience yet to do this alone.

Is there a resource website somewhere that I can visit to find this kind of help?

Thanks,
Tanny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
I think you can advertise for crew/captain on sailnet. There's also several other sites around that do this as well.
Old 02-21-2010

JustinCrowther is on a distinguished road
Hej Tanny, me again..Not stalking promise!
It depends on where you want to cruise and your schedule mostly.
from Texas you could merrily cruise down the Mexican coast down to Belize and Panama and make some easting before having a great run north if your east Canada, or if your from BC, punch through to FL, go play in the Bahamas, either take the thorny passage through past Cuba and down to Jamaica/Panama or run out to the i65 (65th parallel) and head south for the BVI's/Caribbean
I have friend doing both right now. Ones from Alaska and transiting Panama right now, heading for Hawaii and then Alaska, the others are from Argentina/Columbia and they are just about to transit Galapagos bound.
Lots of options, but try to use the wind and give yourself as much time as you can afford (and then squeeze a little more). You won’t regret it- better life
Happy sailing and fair winds
Old 02-21-2010

JustinCrowther is on a distinguished road
Oh, btw.. Facebook was where my Alaskan friend found all the sailing help he needed and it was FOC.. If you have a sound boat, and you are a sensible easy enough person to get on with, you should find no shortage of crew offers, often with tons of experience, which you will get in plenty of quantity and quantity when you get out on the water.
If you need some re-assurance, take an coastguard captains or RYA yacht master course. You will gain huge confidence from these courses and they are worth it for sure.

Have fun with your adventures

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.