Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2003

salecm is on a distinguished road
Olson 34 Partnership

There is a partnership available on an Olson 34. We know nothing about them. Does anyone know anything about them? About buying into a partnership on someone else''s boat, should it be surveyed? What are her strong and/or weak points? Any information will be appreciated. We are coastal cruisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2003

paulk is on a distinguished road
Olson 34 Partnership

If it''s the boat I''m thinking of, they''re pretty nice, but perhaps bit tight down below. The midships bunks have footholes in the bulkhead to make them long enough to sleep in. Though these footholes are a good place to store bedding or pillows while underway, the resulting seats aren''t too long if you want the whole crew (I''d want 6 or so to race) to sit for dinner. The interior makes me think "airplane", which is ok if it appeals to you. On deck, the layout seemed pretty normal. A comment I overheard was that they seem to sail a bit slower than their PHRF rating. If you''re looking to cruise, this shouldn''t make any difference. If you want to race, perhaps the speaker I overheard was someone who doesn''t sail well, and you should ask around some more.
IMHO, if you are looking into a partnership, the most important thing is to have partners you like and who share the same goals as you for the boat. If two partners want to race a Colin Archer yawl, or want to cruise in a Melges 24, they''ll be able to work together to make it happen, even if the boats aren''t particularly well suited to the endeavors. The Olson 34 is set up so you can race pretty well or cruise pretty well. Whether the partnership works depends upon your working together. If your goals are too different, there will be too many diverging issues to have it last long. We''ve shared our boat (and costs) for the past five years with people who like to race some, cruise a little, and daysail. We all like to do these things, so when we need new sails, we get racing sails. When we need new cushions, we get ones that should last a good while. We keep safety as a top priority, but let cosmetic issues slide to the bottom of the list. We''ve been together long enough now that we''re awlgripping the topsides and looking forward to another five years of sailing fun. Keep both eyes open and, like boarding any boat, get on one foot at a time.
Old 02-10-2003

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Olson 34 Partnership

I have owned an O-34 since ''94. I put a short review into the Sailnet review section. There is some information available over at Ericsonyachts.com, including some of my projects. Where are you sailing it?
I consider it a very fast and easy to sail boat. Very good quality - no structural problems in the years I have been sailing mine. Tri-cabin interior with lots of bunks, and lots of hanging lockers. Drop me a line if you want more info. We could talk by phone if you wish. I have hull #8, built in 1988.
Loren in Portland, OR

Last edited by olson34; 08-01-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.