Example of broker raising owner's unsuccessful price - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post

This why Brokers are often worth the price. They can handle all that crap...
Often you have to raise the price a lot before people will buy.
Exactly.
You can always lower your price to meet a buyer's offer, but it is damn hard to haggle UP if you price something too low.
The key is knowing what is realistic, being "open to offers," and keeping your boat showable. As an example, Mainesail could probably get 10-25% more for his boat if he ever decides to sell it simply because it looks so damn clean. Now, for all we know his engine may have no pistons in it and he needs to break out the oars to leave the mooring, but it looks GREAT!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I've got to the point that when I am purchasing something like a boat I don't even want to know what the asking price is until after I've decided what I'd pay for it.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architeuthis View Post
I hate when that happens but I still do it.

This why Brokers are often worth the price. They can handle all that crap.

I had a car I wanted out of the yard, it was in running cond but old and wouldn't pass any inspection. So I park it at the end of the driveway with a $100 sign. People would look at the car, have me start it and then point out problems with it. When they pointed out some rust or a scratch, or some other problem I would only answer, "Its a $100 car." I must have said that a dozen times until I said forget it and took it off the market. I eventually sold it for alot more than $100 but selling stuff is real work.

Often you have to raise the price a lot before people will buy.
Oh man, I hear ya. In preparation for my boat purchase I'm selling off things. I've sold a couple scooters, two bicycles, various stuff of good value.

I'm using Craig's List because it's free and it has been working. I try to price everything fairly, to get it sold.

I haven't gotten too many yahoos but, here are a few examples.

1) Photographers studio lighting setup. 5 heads, multiple stands, umbrellas, etc. Nice collection. Only asking $200 for it. I sold it to the first guy who called.

The other eight to ten people said, "I'll take it." Doh! Should have asked $400.00.

Except for the guy who called and said, "We'll I don't see any umbrellas in the picture, I really don't need all the flash head, it's really more than what I need (wait for it...wait for it), how about $100.0 and can you deliver it 40 miles away? I'll pay you $20.00 extra for your time."

I suggested he buy two clip lights and get some tin foil for reflectors.

2) Rockhopper MTB for sale. $150.00 (for a functioning, clean, and decent mountain bike no less)

I get a guy who calls, starts badmouthing the bike for being a "hardtail" and says that he found a new one on the web for $179.00. He said he'd give me $80.00 for it. All over email. I told him that, if it was such a great deal over the internet, that he should buy it then, by gosh!

I have a friend coming to look at it tonight.

3) 1933 or so, Harmony F-Hole Jazz guitar (it was my father's). Completely restored and beautiful. I'm asking $1100 dollars for this rare, antique and collectible guitar.

You be the judge:

Picasa Web Albums - donn.christianson - Freedom Proje...

The ad says, "no trades."

Anyway, I get an email today that says, "I'll trade you an Xbox 360, eight games and two wireless controllers for it."

Wow, wireless controllers. I should have jumped on that.

Now the thing is, if someone comes out, looks at the item I have for sale, doesn't badmouth it, and offers me a reasonable lower price -- guess what? I almost always say yes. Why? They are *there*. However, first they have to show up.

I sold a Yamaha Silent electric classical guitar (asking price $300) for $250 just the other day.

So yeah, selling stuff to people who have no respect for you or what you are selling can be a real pain.

That's why I try to be a good buyer.
Old 02-22-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough

About 1 hour before its new owner took it home

I just started mailing them sale links to all the beat to death J24s that fit there price range seemed to work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat