Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010

Polypterus is on a distinguished road
Yet another "rate this boat" post

So far I've still failed to find a boat I like enough to bid on however this next boat I still like even after actually looking at her which is progress for me. The only thing is ..... She's wood. Here's the link:

1971 Custom S & S 'Pathfinder' Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

From the outside she looks like a fiberglass boat but you can see she's wooden once you go below. She looks pretty solid to my untrained eye. I pulled up the floor boards and the keel area reinforcement looks nothing short of massive compared to other boats I've seen. She isn't perfect. I made a list of things she needs but it's not really any repair stuff, mostly upgrades and changes. What I'm really wondering now is how good is the hull construction method is and how long will she last if I have her on a good maintenance schedule? She's sort of cold molded but not with epoxy. She's glued with resorcinol glue although they said he now has epoxy on the outside. I guess she's lasted this long which should be worth something.

The other thing I'm wondering about is the rig. She appears the have a large headsail and a rather smallish mainsail. What does all that mean in terms of sailing her. I would assume the crew gets a workout in heavy air.

PS: Yes I know .... get a survey before buying
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
wooden boats are a labor of love.... and require a commitment of time and labor that is well above that of grp boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
wooden boats are a labor of love.... and require a commitment of time and labor that is well above that of grp boats.
Given your sig, that mean I should buy her

But really, wouldn't this boat be at least somewhat less work than a normal wooden boat? Or is this type of construction still a huge amount of upkeep?
Old 02-24-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
She's a beautiful boat, but doesn't appear to be cold-molded. Cold-molded boats, where the wood is encapsulated in epoxy resin, are often as low maintenance as GRP boats. I don't believe that is the case here.

The deck is marine plywood with teak decks screwed into it. If the teak deck have leaked the marine plywood could be in pretty rotten shape, similar to what would happen on a teak-decked cored-laminate deck boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-24-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Make a low low offer. It is a wood boat, after all.
Old 02-24-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I know the labor of love with wood. It can be worth it, and she's a beauty!........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 02-24-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
tager sometimes you are just lacking any couth. Many people look upon items with affection. A 55 T-Bird handles rough, and rides rough not to mention it's pretty gutless for a V-8. That doesn't stop people from keeping them alive, and pristine. Sure a new 350Z is a lot better car, but anybody with minimum credit can go down, and buy one. After all it's just a car!..........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 02-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
She's a beautiful boat, but doesn't appear to be cold-molded. Cold-molded boats, where the wood is encapsulated in epoxy resin, are often as low maintenance as GRP boats. I don't believe that is the case here.

The deck is marine plywood with teak decks screwed into it. If the teak deck have leaked the marine plywood could be in pretty rotten shape, similar to what would happen on a teak-decked cored-laminate deck boat.
Yeah I know she's not really cold molded but she does have 3 cris-crossing layers of wood and now she has epoxy on the outside so I would imagine she might be a bit lower maintenance at least. As for the decks I don't know how good they are. I jumped up and down on them around the boat and they seemed fine but I guess I'll have to let the surveyor look at them if I buy her.
Old 02-24-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Make a low low offer. It is a wood boat, after all.
Yeah, and so is this:

52' Franck / Seaborn Raised Salon Photo 1 photo

I've never seen a cleaner bilge or drier wood inside a boat.

It's been owned by one family since it was built.

If the accommodations were a little better, we'd be seriously looking at it.
Old 02-24-2010
Telstar 28

Just curious, but where did you get the information that she has been epoxy coated??? It doesn't say that anywhere in the ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypterus View Post
Yeah I know she's not really cold molded but she does have 3 cris-crossing layers of wood and now she has epoxy on the outside so I would imagine she might be a bit lower maintenance at least. As for the decks I don't know how good they are. I jumped up and down on them around the boat and they seemed fine but I guess I'll have to let the surveyor look at them if I buy her.

Telstar 28
New England