Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Sydney Yachts

Paulo,

Found them on the main SY site.

Photo Gallery: Sydney 47 Cruiser Racer by Sydney Yachts

also

Photo Gallery: Sydney 39 Cruiser Racer by Sydney Yachts

Photo Gallery: Sydney 38 One Design by Sydney Yachts

Photo Gallery: Sydney 32 One Design by Sydney Yachts

but I don't think there are any photos of the two new GTS models.

Cheers

Andrew

ps - JP54...what can I say but WOW !!! Sure it is not my speed but WOW !!. You have to love the seating, that is inspired by Antoni Gaudi's work in Park Guell, Barcelona.

pps - re stress at speed...I'll come back to that later on.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 07-29-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2010

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I would also have preferred a single wheel (by the reasons I give on post 119) and maybe that comes as an option but I do not understand what you mean when you say that "it kills the cockpit space once you arrive at destination".

If that boat had not two wheels it would have to have a big wheel and that would make the passage between the front of the cockpit and the back more difficult. I will post an Elan 38 photo to explain what I mean:

Regards

Paulo
Just saw this so a day late and a dollar short. I guess my point of view is that a dual wheel tiller on a 35 is a gimmick and nothing more. Takes up space, adds hardware to maintain, reduces fell (typically), and adds nothing other than "prestige" vs. a standard tiller.

I know everyone has their "likes" and "dislikes" but that's my take. One is bad enough, 2 is crazy on a 35 footer. Having spent many a weekend evening on the hook on 31 to 40 footers, nothing better than raising the tiller to vertical and having the full cockpit available to R&R. I can't imagine the justification for having to cramp into a 2m x 1m50 space just for the visual impact of two wheels on a boat this size.

Anal, I know, but just my point of view.
Old 07-30-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Just saw this so a day late and a dollar short. I guess my point of view is that a dual wheel tiller on a 35 is a gimmick and nothing more. Takes up space, adds hardware to maintain, reduces fell (typically), and adds nothing other than "prestige" vs. a standard tiller.

I know everyone has their "likes" and "dislikes" but that's my take. One is bad enough, 2 is crazy on a 35 footer. Having spent many a weekend evening on the hook on 31 to 40 footers, nothing better than raising the tiller to vertical and having the full cockpit available to R&R. I can't imagine the justification for having to cramp into a 2m x 1m50 space just for the visual impact of two wheels on a boat this size.

Anal, I know, but just my point of view.
Reality is some people prefer a wheel and on a wide bum modern hull twin wheels are one way of being able to sit way out on the side. Not much point for cruising I guess but good for a race.

Sure a tiller with extension or a single huge diameter wheel does the same job but thats a personal choice isn't it ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 07-30-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Elan 350

Yes, I would have also preferred a tiller and as second choice a single wheel, but what I was trying to say is that if it was a single wheel it would have to be a big one.

Andrew, on a large transom boat like that, it would have to be a big one because the comfortable steering place would be seated on the side of the boat. If the boat had a small wheel, for example the size of one of the dual wheels, you would not be able to reach it from the sitting position. You would only have a steering position: Standing. Not very comfortable

I have read the first test on that boat, by the German "Yacht" magazine.

Recorded speeds with 18k wind and 1m waves:

40º - 6.5k 60º - 8.2k 90º - 8.7k 120º - 9.0k 150º - 8.2K

Guys, this boat not only looks fast... IS FAST

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Paulo, yes. We are in complete agreement.

Hey, in another thread Nemier speaks of his liking for the RM1060 the virtues of which you were extolling earlier in the thread.

Great looking boats. Damn, those French are doing good things with boats. The 1050 could almost convince I don't need anything bigger and even the older 1050 is a good looking thing. Don't get me started on the 1350....I'll drool up my keyboard....

edit...I beg pardon.....all of the above was covered earlier on in THIS thread. I must have been asleep at the time.

Last edited by tdw; 07-30-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2010

Rm 1200

Andrew, from what I know of your tastes you are looking to the wrong RM. The one that is for you is the 1200. I have test sailed that boat (some months back) and I believe it will make you happy. I have test sailed it the day after test sailing the Opium 39. It was like changing from a Porsche to a BMW ( I do prefer the Porsche ).

The Rm is pretty fast even if does not offer the same wild sensation of the Opium. Fact is that you go fast but you have to look to the speed instrument to notice it. The boat heels not much and glides easily.

That boat is my wife's favorite. It can carry 700 L of water and has a very good interior with a fantastic galley.

Actually this boat can be more than a dream to you. They cost new about 192 000 euros (without VAT) and they were made since 2003. I have seen some selling from about 180 000 euros and I think that soon you are going to find it around 150 000. But this price is a price with VAT, if you can find one with a VAT not paid, or a deductable one it will cost you about 120 000 euros. Normally these boats are bought by guys that like to voyage and they have already everything you need.

I didn't post about this one probably because it is the one I prefer, actually is the one with the better interior, 1300 included.

Take a look at the boat interior here:

Visite 360°

RM YACHTS | RM 1200

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2010

Hanse 325

Marty, take a good look at this one:

I think they have heard me complaining to TDW that their interiors looked like some 3th rate Nordic modern style design, because they are just changing all their interior styling.

The new 325 it will be the first and if the reality would looks as well as the drawings, it would be very agreeable.

The hull design seems classic, but the Hanse can be pretty fast. Take a look at your PHRF lists and try to find Hanses. They will be mixed with some modern cruiser racers

And even if this one would not be as fast as the Elan 31 or the Jeanneau 32, it would be certainly less expensive and with a better interior, more cruising oriented, and if that cannot be a problem in a 40 ft, on a 32ft boat all space is needed.

Hanses also have two very interesting things: As a not very expensive option you can have the boat made in Epoxy and you can protect it with a colored hull. They do have a very nice color collection schemes.

Hanse Yachts

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

Saw that the other day looking for the Salona and the Ovni owned other branded boat. Sheryl does like the Hanse's we have been in. They are pretty quick overall. Not sure the 325 would be the one, but maybe the new 355?!?! with out looking at the website. I need for my budget any how, something mid 30, she wants a shower that is separate from the head area. The jeanneau 36i 2 cabin is probably the "BEST" from what we have seen on the market. excepting maybe the older SO/SF37 which is really similar too. Can not recall on the SO/SF35. The newest 30 and 33 from Jeanneau do not appear to be too much less tight if you will than my current 85 Arcadia.

She likes the pics from the X's, Grand Soliel (sp?) too. There is a 40'r or two floating around here. Been on one of those. Then again, ANY 40 something has more room than out 30, should be 28' and the mid 30's we look at.

Marty
Old 07-31-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Paulo, agreed. Of the RMs the 1200 would be most suitable for us. The 1350 is nonetheless a very sexy thing but for it's size the 1060 is a beauty.

Nemier was once very interested in the VDS34. While I do love our old girl the 1060 is a much more advanced design. Not surprising, given the age of the VDS.

Cheers, Andrew.

Old 07-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

Saw that the other day looking for the Salona and the Ovni owned other branded boat. Sheryl does like the Hanse's we have been in. They are pretty quick overall. Not sure the 325 would be the one, but maybe the new 355?!?! with out looking at the website. I need for my budget any how, something mid 30, she wants a shower that is separate from the head area. The jeanneau 36i 2 cabin is probably the "BEST" from what we have seen on the market. excepting maybe the older SO/SF37 which is really similar too. Can not recall on the SO/SF35. The newest 30 and 33 from Jeanneau do not appear to be too much less tight if you will than my current 85 Arcadia.

She likes the pics from the X's, Grand Soliel (sp?) too. There is a 40'r or two floating around here. Been on one of those. Then again, ANY 40 something has more room than out 30, should be 28' and the mid 30's we look at.

Marty
Yes, my wife wants the same (the separated shower) but with me she is not going to have any luck . Fast boats just don't have that.

I don't know of any big production 35 or 36ft on the market with a separated shower, but I know of one that is coming soon :

That's the new Farr/BMW Bavaria.

Marty, I do like Grand-Soleils and if I could chose a boat no matter the price, the GS 43 and the x 43 would be on my short list. They are not because they are just too expensive, even if used (with few years).

The Bavaria has some advantages over French big production boats of the same price. They have a much better Dispacement/Ballast ratio, more storage space and mutch more options, including the ones that can make it a fast boat. I agree that the French boats (Jeanneau and Oceanis) have a better interior design, meaning they look nicer, even if the Bavaria is more functional and has more storage and tankage. The Hanse is a more expensive boat.

Regards

Paulo