Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Paulo,

Seems to me that a boat with an open cockpit with enough weight is the way to go for offshore contrary to what you read in forums like this one.

I'm pretty new to sailing (5 years) starting crewing for my wifes uncle. I sail in Lake Ontario and I'm surprised that even hardened racers of 30 years have never ventured out of the lake. At the same time 70% of the boats are C&C and CS. But in a way its a good lesson on following reality (what you are really going to use the boat for) instead of fantasy (rounding cape horn) when getting a boat. But to me, I want to be able to know that I can reach the Carribean in our winters when I get older given the option.

Anyway, my contribution being from Canada. (Underrated country with great boat building traditions.

The Gozzard 41. I love this family run company and with their bulletproof hulls and innovative interiors. Highest quality throughout. It just seems like a very traditional slow boat and I also cant afford one.

YouTube - ‪Gozzard 41.mov‬‏

Last edited by Chimbatete; 05-23-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post

Seems to me that a boat with an open cockpit with enough weight is the way to go for offshore contrary to what you read in forums like this one.

Weight as little to do with offshore sailing. There are heavy boats that are pigs as well as light boats.

Take a look at this light boat and this solo sailor on the roaring fifties. Is not this seaworthiness enough for you? Is this not a great offshore boat?

YouTube - ‪Beluga Racer in Southern Ocean‬‏

YouTube - ‪Southern Ocean‬‏

Note that this boat is solo sailed, it means that sometimes he just take a bit sail out, put the auto pilot and is going to sleep, letting the boat take care of him...without loosing too much speed.

This boat is very similar in stability and seaworthiness (a bit faster) to one popular blue-water performance cruiser that is one of the favorites on this thread, the Pogo 12.50.

Regarding Canada you have one of the best builders of the Farrier and the one that has made the first Farrier 39:

The New F-39

Yes the Gozzard has a great interior, but regarding the rest in what regards hull, keel and performance is a boat from the past.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-23-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Wow that didnt look like 50 footers but I truly bow down to those guys.

Yes I agree with you because I see these gutted out boats racing the southern ocean but reading the forums people always refer to the Morris, Shannons, Crealocks Tayanas, even Island Packets when someone asks for Blue water boats. Everyone is suggesting old boats and I have never understood it because they cost as much as the RM 1050 for example. Why would I get those?

That Farrier is bad ass but I cant get past the interiors as compared to the DF.

That 47 Malo is gorgeous but I'll never be able to afford one. I have 30 years til retirement and I may not come up with a downpayment on that one. Same for the X-yachts.

I'm really saving and setting my sights on the RMs and Pogos of the world. It more realistic for me as it can accomodate a family of 4 or 5 for fun and race at the same time. I've seen some pics where they made the interiors a bit more "attractive" and I also like the brightness.

I can't imagine the faces when I park one of those at my club.

BTW Paulo this is the best thread...it forced me to join the forum.

Hahahaha I just checked the price list. These guys charges for the air you breath below deck.

Last edited by Chimbatete; 05-23-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
It has always bothered me that most think an offshore boat has to have a long keel and a displacement/length ratio over 300.

To me an offshore boat has to be strong, have a fast draining cockpit, an easily handled rig, and things like handholds in the proper place. But it does not have to be a heavy boat. And fast is good!
Old 05-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It has always bothered me that most think an offshore boat has to have a long keel and a displacement/length ratio over 300.

To me an offshore boat has to be strong, have a fast draining cockpit, an easily handled rig, and things like handholds in the proper place. But it does not have to be a heavy boat. And fast is good!

Yes, and a good stability curve with a good reserve stability for recovering fast from a knock-down.

As you say an easily handed rig is fundamental. You know and I know that a boat that is very difficult to handle in a given situation will became a joy to sail after properly reefed and ballanced

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-23-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Andrews,

The reason there are not Malos on this thread is because they have not a new model for ages (they only change each model once in a decade ). The last one was the 37, three years ago or something like that (great boat). Has you already know, when that 40 come to the market (6? years ago) that was my dream boat. It has still one of my preferred interiors. I love their saloon table system. Even if the standard boat comes with mahogany but as you know there are a lot of different types of mahogany and the one they use it is a clear type of mahogany, much clearer than the one that was used on the Dehler and in many boats, like the Bavarias for instance.

Today I favor a faster boat but I have still a soft spot for the Malo 40 and if I could I would have a faster boat with the building quality of the Malo. But I can't, it would cost a fortune (it would be a Luffe or a X-yacht).

Regarding the 39, It has a great interior, not different in style or quality from the one from the 40:

By any chance do you know this boat

YouTube - ‪Malo 39 hand built in Sweden by Team Windcraft YT.m4v‬‏

It has a cozy and good looking interior

That's the teak platform that I was talking about (on the other thread):

The Classic version is much more beautiful, has more storage space but as you are going to find out, it is not easy to come aboard from the dinghy, groceries and all. This nice platform removes that inconvenient.

Regards

Paulo
Paulo,

To be honest I never thought the Malo was suitable for this thread but I could not resist the opportunity ..

As per other thread, some kind of swim/boarding platform will be an essential addition. I have already spoken with Malo, they said it would be too expensive to send from Sweden but will give any assistance to have made in Australia. As I intend to retain the Hydrovane I'm thinking either a half platform or perhaps two half platforms that will fold up though have a quick release reachable from the water. Also need a boarding ladder.

A walk through transom has obvious benefits and for me is a nice feature but this is not the boat for that. Such it is.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-23-2011

More information about the Salona 38:

Weight : 6300kg (less 400kg than the 37)

Ballast with 1.98M keel :2270kg (more 70kg than the 37)

Draft options: 1.75m and 2.25m

Beam: 3.62m (more 2 cm than the 37)

LWL: 10,15m (more 20cm than the 37)

Sail Area: 88.40m2 (more 2.70m2)

So, less 400kg of weight, more 70kg of ballast and more sail, this is going to be a FASTER boat and the 37 is a Fast boat . It will be also a stiffer boat with a better ballast/displacement ratio, 34% a bit better than the average for this type of boat. And the boat is a looker also. Pity the stern. This boat deserved a more modern one.

Old 05-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo,

To be honest I never thought the Malo was suitable for this thread but I could not resist the opportunity ..

As per other thread, some kind of swim/boarding platform will be an essential addition. I have already spoken with Malo, they said it would be too expensive to send from Sweden but will give any assistance to have made in Australia. As I intend to retain the Hydrovane I'm thinking either a half platform or perhaps two half platforms that will fold up though have a quick release reachable from the water. Also need a boarding ladder.

A walk through transom has obvious benefits and for me is a nice feature but this is not the boat for that. Such it is.
Not for this thread? why not? I assure you that the reason is only the one I have said. Not any recent model.The last was the 37 and I like it a lot, specially the more expensive classic version. Definitively a very interesting sailboat.

From the three Nordic classic cruisers: Najad, Malo and Halberh-Rassy the Malo is the one I prefer, with the exception of the HR 372 (I really hope HR continue to make boats along those principles).

Regarding the windvane, listen what the previous owner said to you: He was not using it and it seems the guy had done some passages. Most people are not using them anymore. Modern autopilots are very good don't waste much energy and work better. I am saying this only because I don't think you can have a decent boarding platform on that transom maintaining the wind-vane.

I think a fixed strong platform will be better and it can have an integrated boarding ladder like the one in the Malo. If well made can serve two purposes: from the water to the boat or when up, to facilitate boarding and going up.

To prevent resistance on the water on big waves the boarding platform can be a stainless steel tube structure filled with a a large teak grid. That way the resistance would be a a lot lesser as the pressure on the attachment points in the transom. That is the thing you should see with Malo because the force made there will be considerable when the boat passes big waves. That's why the ones made by Malo are small (look at the photos )

Regarding the Malo 37, better late then never:

The boats weights 8.1 ton was a Ballast of 2,7 ton, a Length overall of 11.80 m (classic version) a LWL 9.90 and 106 m2 of sail.

It is an heavy boat but its big stability permits it to carry with ease 67m2 of sail . It will not be a fast boat but will have a decent sail performance. It is a true bluewater boat with a small inverted stability and lot's of reserve stability and a big tankage. That's a perfect boat for the ones that don't want a big boat but want a relatively fast and comfortable bluewater boat with a long range capacity...and have the money for it Really is not that much, it is a bit less expensive than the HR or the Najad, has the same quality and is faster (except the HR 372).

http://www.maloyachts.se/LinkClick.a...g%3d&tabid=135

http://www.maloyachts.se/LinkClick.a...id=134&mid=723

Some more information:

http://www.maloyachts.se/LinkClick.a...id=136&mid=712

http://www.maloyachts.se/LinkClick.a...id=136&mid=712

Blue Water Sailing

Malo 37 - Sailing Today

Malö 37

Sail Buyers Guide: Malö Yachts (Boats)

YouTube - ‪Vaartest Zeilen magazine Malo 37‬‏

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-31-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Edited sail area and comments : it is wrong on the Malo site.
Old 05-24-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Jeez O peets thats a beauty Paulo !
Excise me while I go change my skivvies....

I knew better than to look in here again
Old 05-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Man oh man you just have to love that foldaway swim/boarding platform.

Oh well , time to sell the old girl and buy a new one.

Actually this might work and is what I may do. That way I can keep the vane steering, though I lose the ability to fold away. I'd like to keep the vane, at least until I have had the chance to try it out. If we did dispose of the thing the platfor will still work.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.