Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Andrews,

Yes, that is a good solution at least till you or your wife gets bruised on that menacing wind vane and you find out that it is of no or little use I hope it will be a small bruise

That way you can always remove the wind vane without losing the platform. But consider what I have said regarding not to be a completely closed platform, like that one, but one made wit a teak grid, like the ones you have in some heads. I think it is important to diminish the force made in the transom in bad weather and big waves.

You may think I am exaggerating, but let me tell you a story: Old "Traineiras" (Portuguese fishing boat) maintained this beautiful long stern even when they lost sails and were only motor boats:

Till they found out that in very heavy conditions that could be a liability. Several sterns broke when on huge waves all the weight of the boat stand on the stern (we have sometimes big waves along the coast). The boats were not new, but that was a weak point and they finished with that stern design (they used to built them here in Peniche).

The force that is going to be made upward on that platform when the boat is passing a big wave will be probably more than the one that is made there with two people standing. Make sure the design is up to it in what regards not only down force but also upwards force...or have a teak grid.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-25-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Paulo,
I agree re grid. Steel structure will be to Malo specs.
Cheers
Andrew
(Now get back on topic ... )

though I do thank you for your advice.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-26-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Showed spouse the Evosion 34 pics last night, YUCK!! was her comment, inside was not very salty, boaty, ala lots of teak or equal wood type stuff.......harrumph! oh well, not that I could afford one, or an X as she likes........can always dream!

Marty
Old 05-26-2011

Hey Marty, you are going to love this one, a small boat, the Juwel 28 also known as the Broker 28. Never heard about it till I saw an interesting movie and thought: a hell of a boat .

It is a Danish boat. I love Danish boats, it is incredible how such a small country as so many great boats (X yachts, Luffe, Faurby, Nordship). This one is a 10 year old design but is just beautiful. Enjoy the videos. Nice music too

YouTube - ‪Team ICE Mors Cup 2009 - Fast sailing, 35 knots tws‬‏

YouTube - ‪GoPro HD as headcam - racing with teamice.dk‬‏

Juwel 28

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-27-2011

First Jeanneau 376 photos and more Drawings.

The boat does not look bad but the high free-board is a lot more apparent than on the Jeanneau 409

After the Jeanneau 409 it would be difficult to do better or even just as good. The interior looks good, but nothing outstanding. The port hulls on the saloon are high and will not provide a good view from the outside. The Galley seems very good for a 38ft, with lot's of storage space. The head, on the two cabin version seems also very good for the size of the boat, with a separated shower. The interior of the 2 cabin version is much better: Nicer saloon with two berths instead of one and much better head.

The keel solution with a center board is very interesting, providing as bonus two rudders.

On the short draft keel (the one that is posted) the rudder is about at the same level as the Keel. I don't like it and seems dangerous to me in case of grounding. This means that probably that boat has a good wheel control but also that the designer have designed it with a deeper keel, the one that is standard, with 1.95m. I would not have the boat with the 1.50m keel, what they call a lifting keel, that is in fact a short keel with a center board seems a better solution to me.

more photos here:

YouTube - ‪New Jeanneau Yacht 379 Sun Odyssey Sailboat for sale By: Ian‬‏

Last edited by PCP; 05-27-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2011

Just some really beautiful boats, the ones millionaires should have instead of those ugly big motor bots. Millionaires do have them but just the ones with good taste and unfortunately they are a minority.

And some movies:

YouTube - ‪Westward Cup IV - Yachting World‬‏

YouTube - ‪Westward Cup II - Yachting World‬‏

YouTube - ‪Pride of Baltimore II‬‏

YouTube - ‪Westward Cup III - Yachting World‬‏

YouTube - ‪12mR G4 Sphinx‬‏

YouTube - ‪Tall ships race 2010 - Antwerpen - √Ölborg CR‬‏

YouTube - ‪REGATA BARCOS EPOCA‬‏

YouTube - ‪Les Voiles de St Tropez 2010‬‏

YouTube - ‪Westward Report YouTube‬‏

YouTube - ‪British Classic Yacht Club Regatta and Metre and Keelboat Regatta report‬‏

YouTube - ‪Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta 2006‬‏

YouTube - ‪J Class Shamrock V 2008 Sailing in Montenegro, Croatia and Greece‬‏

YouTube - ‪136' 4" RANGER J CLASS SLOOP SALES PROMO NORTHROP & JOHNSON YACHTS HD.mov‬‏

YouTube - ‪Les Voiles De St Tropez‬‏

YouTube - ‪10.08.26 Panerai highlights - JUE race1.mpg‬‏

Last edited by PCP; 05-28-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2011

Paulo,

the info on the 379 has not been forthcoming, a little here, a little there.....some of those I had not seen, all info you have has been released in the last week or so.

It does seem a lot of upper crust boat owners are doing the power thing. Probably because they are easier to handle etc, they owner does not like the heeling etc. PLUS the power yacht can get there sooner etc etc.....

I had not seen the dutch boat either. Now come to think of it, my step dad who taught me to sail is dutch! any way, off to the boat for a bit.

Marty
Old 05-27-2011

Too early in the morning for me right now, and a few stressfull things going on, so probably not seing the differences right now. Apologies to all danes I insulted!

Back to finishing a few work things, boat things, maybe a weekend of rest and no stress! maybe.......

Marty
Old 05-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Too early in the morning for me right now, and a few stressfull things going on, so probably not seing the differences right now. Apologies to all danes I insulted!

Back to finishing a few work things, boat things, maybe a weekend of rest and no stress! maybe.......

Marty
Marty,
Danes are from Denmark, Dutch are from Netherlands, they are neighbors and that means that in their long past they had necessarily some conflicts between them. A bit like calling Spanish to Portuguese or calling Texans, Mexicans, if you follow my drift

Netherlands also makes some very nice boats but they are a lot more conservative and they have being paying for that. Their production and number of boats has decreased.

Attention to all of you that like beautiful well made blue-water boats with a traditional outlook: take a look at the boats that are made in Nederlands.

They have a big problem however, like all boats make this way, they are expensive.

Some Dutch boats:

Contest Yachts | Home

Victoire Yachts

C-Yacht zeiljachten | Zeiljachten van klasse uitgeroepen tot zeiljacht van het jaar

Home

Atlantic Aluminium zeiljachten | home | Atlantic Yachts

Breehorn Woudsend

Naamloos document

Bijko Jachtbouw - home Noordkaper 40

Zeiljachten

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-27-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2011

paulo,

I think there are MANY country's and regions that have the conflicts you speak of! Here in Wa state where I am, there is those of us west of the cascade mtns, them swines east in the desert on the other side of the mtns....LOL

We had a exchange student from Denmark the same age as my sister, 3 yrs younger when they were sts in High school. So got a bit of the difference. And a lady I did some work for many years ago was also from Denmark, bragged ALL about there chocolate, best in the world!

All parts of the world have things that might be better than the part you are in for various and sundry reasons. Now if we can stop the blinking wars etc, and realize, we are the same, dispite some differences in the way and where we live for what ever reason!.........that was probably lost back when Adam ate the apple! or was it Eve?!?!?!?

Marty