Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Paulo,
You are witnessing the dramatic disintegration for my mono love.
All I can think of is Trimarans now. Small, medium, large, I love them all.
Spending a lot of time over at SA/MH trying to learn as much as I can. I've signed on to many multihull boards, ordered a lot of books and I'm looking at study plans all the time. Dragonflys, Farriers, Corsairs, Contours, and designs of Chris White, Mike Waters, Kurt Hughes, Dick Newick, Antrim, et al... I'm even looking at Weta's and Windriders for the beach.
Probaby just a phase I have to work through..
BTW, thanks for post 1218.
I hope you have the money for them Just invite me for o ride. You don't have to study, just to have the money . I can point you to the right ones, like the Alibi 54. What about 20K speed with 16K wind?

This was the 47, before they upgrade to the 54:

And this is the mean looking 54, the actual boat:

Alibi - Catamaran manufacturer - Constructeur de catamarans - Catalibi

YouTube - ‪Et si le vrai luxe était la vitesse...‬‏

Of course if you are richer and want to go faster, just buy the Gunboat. An owner had recently entered a cruising Gunboat on the Caribbean 600 and pissed a lot of racing big crews

YouTube - ‪Phaedo Caribbean 600 race‬‏

YouTube - ‪GUNBOAT...‬‏

YouTube - ‪Gunboat 66 Video‬‏

Of course if you dispense all that luxury and satisfies yourself with a good cruising interior, Pogo style, than you don't need all that money and can go
REALLY FAST on the new French madness...but that is for another day

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
let me guess... SIG45? High Performance Multihull Sailing Yachts | Luxury Catamarans

and here is one for sale in case someone has a spare million 2009 LeBreton Yachts SIG45 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Last edited by G1000; 05-30-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2011

New boat...and new shipyard even if they had build boats for others for more than 40 years.

A surprising boat not because it is very modern but because it is very classical and at the same time modern in what counts: Weight and sailing potential.

It is an Italian boat made by Italia Yachts and looks like....a Finngulf

The 1098 is a classical 37ft with one big wheel, moderate beam (3.65m) reasonable draft (1.90), very light (4500kg) and with a typical B/Dratio (33%) for this kind of boat, all the ballast in a bulb, of course.

The boat has a very nice high quality interior and looks to be a very good compromise between an occasional racer and a cruiser. The 72 m2 of sail will be more than enough to give it a very good turn of speed. Not designed for downwind speed but for overall performance with a special incidence in light wind sailing.

ITALIA YACHTS: Galleria di immagini

The boat can make with 6K wind over 6K speed, with 8k wind over 7k speed and with 12k over 8k speed. A fast boat that even with light winds will be sailing between 7 and 8K and that will rarely need to motor.

The design is from Maurizio Cossutti that among others had recently participated in the Salona 41 design and is specialized in designing race boats.

The boat uses extensivelly carbon reinforcements, high tech building techs and good quality material and the price seems not exaggerated: 139000

YouTube - ‪Italia yachts 10.98 - presentazione‬‏

YouTube - ‪Italia yachts 10.98 - presentazione‬‏
Old 05-31-2011

New movie and Boat test with the Varianta, the 44ft that costs 85 000€ and that is a simplified Hanse 430. The boat test is from the Italian Magazine Solovela and they have tested the boat with 30K winds. Not easy without a furling genoa

For the ones that don't understand Italian, they say very well from the sailing boat potential. They have made over 8K close to the wind and say that the Varianta sails better than the Hanse 430, and the Hanse 430 is one of the fastest mass production cruising boats (excluding cruiser-racers). The boat is lighter and have a true bulbed keel and they say that probably has a better righting moment (longer keel). They really only complaining about the lack of handholds on the interior and in my opinion they are right. You cannot see any place you can grab for support.

There will be some Varianta 44 competting on the "Found the Island" race (big race). We will know what they are worth after but I bet they are going to surprise a lot of people that would hate to be outperformed by a "cheap" boat

That's not a bad looking boat

Varianta Segelyachten - from Dehler with love

They also have improved the options and now you can have a true freezer and a bow roller for the anchor and an electric windlass. Now if they just offer as an option an anchor locker and a closed locker over the lateral cabin (instead of an open one) I am going start thinking why the hell I will not have one .

YouTube - ‪Varianta 44 - La prova in mare di SoloVela‬‏

Take a look at the Hanse 430 sailing:

YouTube - ‪Sexy new Hanse 430e has a blast‬‏

Last edited by PCP; 05-31-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-31-2011

Somewhere along the thread we have talked about the First 35, the little brother of the First 40. I have a movie to share with you guys, one from a race where the First won first place in it's class. The movie was shot from the First and I confess that I am posting it not about the First, not about the race but because it is just beautiful and gives me will to sail, hell, it even give me will to race. Dam I miss sailing

YouTube - ‪First35 Maria at Palby Fyn Cup 2011‬‏
Old 05-31-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
The Varianta 44 is indeed quite a stunt. All tests I have read agree that the boat not only sails very well, but that the concept as a whole also seems to work.
Of course everything is very basic, the edges are sharp and also the canvas stowage will not last long.
But let's be fair, the difference between 100.000 and the standard price for any other yacht this size will give you quite a margin for improving comfort and equipment. Even if it does not seem to make sense to upgrade this boat to a fully equiped luxury yacht.
I think it will certainly appeal to families with children and charter crews who just want to enjoy sailing for short periods of time. And I also agree with Paulo that the faces on some fancy racers might turn green...

Best regards,

Eric
Old 05-31-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have a movie to share with you guys, one from a race where the First won first place in it's class. The movie was shot from the First and I confess that I am posting it not about the First, not about the race but because it is just beautiful and gives me will to sail, hell, it even give me will to race. Dam I miss sailing
That is a nice video indeed, Paulo!
Did you see the Dragonfly passing?

Best regards,

Eric
Old 05-31-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
From my perspective Varianta44 potential is overvalued. Just take a look at figures. With 104% Genoa, 44>10.7m/ton vs 430>10.2m/ton

Varianta44
Displacement: 9.800kg
Ballast: 3.200kg
Main sail: 57.00 m
Genoa 104%: 48.00 m

Hanse430
Displacement: 10.900kg
Ballast: 3,200kg
Main sail: 63.00 m

Last edited by G1000; 05-31-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
That is a nice video indeed, Paulo!
Did you see the Dragonfly passing?

Best regards,

Eric
Eric, It looks like a motor boat Really from another championship! I hate the price of those things A friend told me that there is one nearby for charter, in Cascais at 800€.... a day

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
From my perspective Varianta44 potential is overvalued. Just take a look at figures. With 104% Genoa, 44>10.7m/ton vs 430>10.2m/ton

Varianta44
Displacement: 9.800kg
Ballast: 3.200kg
Main sail: 57.00 m

Hanse430
Displacement: 10.900kg
Ballast: 3,200kg
Main sail: 63.00 m

You cannot look at it only like that. Those numbers only say that in light winds the Varianta will be a bit faster but don't say nothing about where the Varianta will be a lot faster: In all other conditions.

The boats have the same ballast and the Varianta has a deeper keel (2.23 to 2.16) but the big difference is the weight, about a ton difference. This means that the Varianta will be a much stiffer boat with a bigger ability to carry sail and that means faster. While racing you don't use the standard sails and the Varianta would be able to carry a bigger geenaker, a bigger spinaker and can carry always more sail than the Hanse.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 06-01-2011 at 04:41 AM.