Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
New boat, this one is a deck saloon and one of the best to circumnavigate (or to travel extensively) with all the luxury, washing machine and all.

It is not cheap but probably not much more than an HR of the same size; its the Nordship 43. This boat comes to substitute the old 43. The interior is not much different but the sailing boat potential is. The old one needed a good breeze to really shine, this one will sail remarkably well even in light winds with the help of a geenaker. It is not so heavy and has a remarkably modern underbody. Have a look:

They say about the boat:

"Nordship 430 DS has like its smaller sisters a modern underwater hull with torpedo keel and free standing spade rudder. The rig is changed to a fraction rig and is 75 cm higher than the one on Nordship 43 DS which provide it much more sporty sailing performance than the previous Nordship 43.

The Decks layout is like the Nordship 43 DS, with 2 separate cockpits, a self-tacking jib and all lines lead back to the cockpit, which makes this model ideal to sail single handed.

The windows in the deck-saloon are made in the same design as the ones in the rest of the range. Can also be delivered with doublet glassing.

The interior is kept as in the Nordship 43 DS, but with the possibility of individually solutions. In the First Nordship 430 DS the customer have decided on a large forward cabin and large pantry, at the cost of the side cabin. In a yacht of this size the possibilities are almost endless."

Nordship
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2011

Some interesting information about best average speed on fast cruising boats, the type that is based on the 40class boats. The average regards downwind sailing on the trade winds, the thing these boats were designed to do best.

The data was picked up by a guy (in a French forum) in Horta, Açores from French sailors that were passing by making transatlantic crossings.

Best 24h:

Opium 39 - 190nm

Cigale 14 - 200nm

But the best average speed comes from a Pogo 10.50 with a very experienced couple aboard (61 et 59 year's old): From Portugal to Porto Santo (Madeira, Portugal) with an average speed of 8.2K. Chapeau

They have an interesting site (French):

Mora Mora
Old 07-03-2011

I have found a nice photo and some interesting comments about it. The photo was taken in the last Round the Island Race and shows the sea conditions. The boat is an Elan 40.

Comments from the guy that had taken the photo:

"Was a slightly scary moment - they held that wave for ages, enough time for us to notice and get the camera out! They came from about 200 yards back and nearly wound up in our cockpit! I've never seen such a heavy boat surf like that before!

And what you can't see is that there was another boat on the same wave! Sadly the only photo of both of them is very out of focus."

Comments from a guy on the Elan 40:

We were on this boat in question - an Elan 40. Conditions were testing - the wind had already put a tear into our mainsail down the leach line. This was a huge swell that kept on going of St Catherines Point that came out of nowhere. It was just as fun/hairy/exciting as it looks! Speed jumped from 8 knots to 16.9 knots.
Old 07-04-2011

First photos of the CR 380DS. Not yet finished but almost. It looks great on the outside, remarkably elegant for a 38ft Deck saloon and with a oak interior. The galley seems very good for a 38ft.

This is going to be a fast boat. The boat is light (6800kg), has a lot of sail area (78m2) and has more 200kg of ballast than an Beneteau oceanis 43...and this is only a 38ft. The hull is very modern, designed by Stephen Jones, narrow but with the beam brought back.

Old 07-06-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
THere are two new Jeanneau's coming online, a 42DS out of the 439 hull, and a 509? may need to go relook at my source. I am recalling another size too! Been out of town the last 5 days on the boat. Saw the new ones with limited access. Will figure out in the next day or so now that I am home with links.

The king/summit 40 was that builder/designers boat for the NY YC clubs bid for a new 1D boat for their owners etc. The Swan Club 42 was who won the bid. Not sure WHERE this fell in the overall scheme of what NYYC choose for a club boat. Not sure off the top of my head what the other builder/designers were bidding on that min order of 50 boats, ie first 50 went to club members, had to be under 500K US$ base.

Marty
Old 07-06-2011

Thanks Marty. Did not hear nothing about a new 42 DS. Keep us posted

Bad news, it seems that the last posts including a big one about the nominated boats for the European boat of the year contest and some replies (bb74) and some more posts were lost

While I gather patience to put that post up again, stay with some really big sailboats:

http://www.lobanov.co.uk/#

And some more "normal" ones, but not less interesting

Old 07-06-2011

treb001 is on a distinguished road
Concentrate on the meat and potatoes. The hull, machinery and rigging. The rest is superficial.
Old 07-06-2011

Here we go again, Jesus, this was a big one

The boats nominated for European boat of the year 2012 contest were announced:

On the Performance cruiser sailboat category many interesting boats, most of them already posted on this thread.

Pogo 12.50

XP44

Grand Soleil 50

Dehler 41

J111

Some of these boats have already been tested by some magazines and they are going to be extensively tested by all the main European sailboat magazines. I am very curious about the Dehler 41. I know that the Pogo and the XP44 are great sailboats and the Grand Soleil looks just beautiful and they are normally very fast. Only the J111 seems a bit out of place here and it is a pity because it is a great boat, but more a race boat than a performance cruiser. I don't really understand why they did not put it on the Special sailboat category.

Nominated for the Family Cruiser category:

Benetau Oceanis 45

Dufour 445

Jeanneau 376

Elan 210

RM 1060

Most of these were also posted on the thread. Like the J111 I think that the Elan 210 should not be here. This is a performance boat and should be among those not here, or are they discriminating based on size . It can go faster than a lot of much bigger boats. Regarding the others, the Oceanis is too plain, the Jeanneau 376 looks a not so nice 409 clone and I think the winner is going to be or the Dufour or the RM. The Dufour comes in the continuity of the 425, a great boat, but seems even better and nicer and the RM bets on the innovation, but some youth problems (heavy steering an unappealing interior) can compromise its position against a Dufour here everything seems right.

Make your bets!!!

Tomorrow I will post about the other two caregories

Last edited by PCP; 07-06-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2011

bjung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Some interesting information about best average speed on fast cruising boats, the type that is based on the 40class boats. The average regards downwind sailing on the trade winds, the thing these boats were designed to do best.

The data was picked up by a guy (in a French forum) in Horta, Açores from French sailors that were passing by making transatlantic crossings.

Best 24h:

Opium 39 - 190nm

Cigale 14 - 200nm

But the best average speed comes from a Pogo 10.50 with a very experienced couple aboard (61 et 59 year's old): From Portugal to Porto Santo (Madeira, Portugal) with an average speed of 8.2K. Chapeau

They have an interesting site (French):

Mora Mora
Well, my personal take on this SN blackout is that PCP hacked the system to remove this vessel Freya 39 Review : Bluewaterboats.org from the thread .
I find it interresting that such an "outdated " design can knock off as many miles as the modern racers/cruisers mentioned above. And propably a lot more comfortably....
Old 07-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Well, my personal take on this SN blackout is that PCP hacked the system to remove this vessel Freya 39 Review : Bluewaterboats.org from the thread .
I find it interresting that such an "outdated " design can knock off as many miles as the modern racers/cruisers mentioned above. And propably a lot more comfortably....
Well, I think we can consider the Freya 39 as a classic even if it is not properly what we would call a classic boat but I agree that is still a good looking boat. Regarding performance the boat is only interesting on a historical perspective.

The Freya 39 was 40 years ago a very fast boat and still is not a slow boat for a long keeler but makes no sense any comparison with a modern performance boat.

The boat is obviously a displacement boat and has a hull speed of 7.8K. At that speed over 24h we will get 187,2K. It will be pretty difficult to get that and eventually in absolutely perfect conditions downwind the boat can sail slightly over hull speed and make the 8.3K needed to make 200 nm in a day. Almost a miracle but in a boat that has more than 40 years of sailing around the globe I guess that can happen some times among all the boats.

But of course, given those perfect conditions a Cigale 14 will be making 360 nm a day and the Opium 39 will be making over 300nm a day. On the post where those averages (200nm) were posted it was said that a guy in a Pogo 10.50, a much smaller boat had averaged for several days 199nm. Not once in a life time, but several days in a row in a single voyage, in fact in all the days of that passage. Nothing to do with the very rare possibility of a Freya 39 doing 200nm in a day in a lifetime.

When I have posted that a guy had said that a Cigale 14 and a Opium 39 that had passed by Horta (Azores) had made as best average on that voyage 200nm I was not referring the best average of that boat, just saying that with that type of boats is really easy to make 200nm a day on the trade winds.

The boat pictured in the photo has done a lot of Atlantic crossings and a proud owner says that the fastest has taken 19 days. Adrien on the Capado, a FOX 10.20. a much smaller boat took 17 days on is FIRST crossing.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-06-2011 at 10:13 PM.