Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
For the ones that don't know what type of boats we are talking about, I mean those performance 30/35ft offshore capable boats that are the majority on this race, some movies:

YouTube - ‪Dehler 32, Elan 310, First 30 an Sun Fast 3200 under test.mov‬‏

YouTube - ‪JPK 1010 HD.mov‬‏

YouTube - ‪Elan 310‬‏

YouTube - ‪First 35 in navigazione‬‏

YouTube - ‪Fulcrum Sailing Team, Archambault A35, Muggia / ITA‬‏

YouTube - ‪Barcelona a Rosas en A31‬‏

YouTube - ‪JPK 9.60 sous spi‬‏

YouTube - ‪239 sur la transquadra. pour Coté voile‬‏

YouTube - ‪TRANSQUADRA 2008-2009 Part2‬‏

Last edited by PCP; 07-12-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2011

New boat and this one is really an interesting one. There is one in the front pack of the Transquadra (France departure) and with the particularity of being sailed by the owner, a 50 year's old Bank clerk and the boat designer himself, François Lucas (49 year's old).

Transquadra 2011

architecte naval nantes loire atlantique plan voilier competition croisiere bateau moteur servitude 44

The boat is light, made of plywood and has a retractable keel with the ballast on a bulb. I find it also a very nice boat and I have heard that it is not expensive.

Old 07-12-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

Not sure I personally like the last boat. I feel the SF3200 or Elan 310/350 or Evosion boats among others are preferred over that one. I am sure it is a good boat tho!

The new Jeanneau's I was a bit wrong, but right at the same time. The DS model from the 439 is a 43 not a 42. The 509 is correct, along with a 469 that is showing up. I would swag a DS version of the 379 and 409 will be along soon too!

Marty
Old 07-13-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The Transquadra is very handy to take relevant information about boat performance, specially in what regards solo or duo sailing. This information is interesting because these guys are not super sailors that can sail fast a very powerful boat, but mostly average sailors like you and me.

There are some big boats there (40 to 49ft) and mostly small boats, from 30 to 35ft. The first conclusion is that small boats are faster with a small and not super experienced crew. This is not a conclusion from this edition but a conclusion we can confirm in past editions.

Let's take a look at how the boats are doing on this edition:

The ones that sailed from Barcelona (they departed sooner) had very weak and variable winds. The leader is a Jeanneau SF 3200, followed by another SF 3200, a JPK 110 and the leader on solo sails a A35. The bigger boats are way back (2 Dufour 40, a Hanse 411, a Comfortina 42) and the last is a Jeanneau SO 49.

The ones that departed Yesterday from Saint Nazaire had good winds and are sailing downwind with 14K winds. The leader is a A35 (doing 8.7K). There are several A35 on the leading pack, a A31, several JPK 110 and a JPK 9.6. The Sun Fast 3200 are close, just a little behind but ahead of bigger boats like two First 40.7, a GS 37, two 40 Sun Fast and a GS 40.

The fastest solo boat seems to be a First 35 followed by a Jod 35. Close there are a A31, a JPK 110 and a SF 3200.

It seems that the guys on the bigger boats, like the First 40.7 or GS 40 are not able to exploit the boat to its full potential while the guys on smaller boats manage to go faster, probably because the boat and the smaller sails are easier to handle.
Goes to show what a good sailor can do on a good boat. There are semi professional level crews and then full out amateurs in the race so you cannot expect comparable results. Will be interesting to see what happens with the 2nd leg and the guys from the Atlantic and Med go head to head. I'm sure there will be some good ribbing between the groups as most on the Atlantic side think the Med is for bar hopping sailors.
Old 07-13-2011

Huumm!! I would not call them semi-professionals, there are a lot of restrictions regarding inscriptions. Look at the guys that are leading on the French side and look at their professions and you would not find anything related with sailing and some are not 40 year's old, but more than 50 year's old

But of course they are not all equal in their sailing performance but I think that the choice of boats is significant as their average performance. I mean there will always be exceptions (very good sailors and bad sailors) but the average result is pretty informative and what we see is all the bigger boats back and the same type of boats leading and that is certainly relevant.

The choice of boats can also have to do with handicap but I guess that most of the sailors are there to have fun and to sail fast not properly to sail slowly and win the race on handicap and therefore I find odd that there are not any Elan 350 or any Pogo 10.50. There are a lot of Pogo but they are all 8.50 and its not a question of money or the boats being new on the market: There are a lot of JPK 10.10 racing (and doing very well) and the boat is as new as the Elan 350 and newer than the Pogo 10.50 and the difference in price are not meaningful. I guess that regarding the Elan the fact that it is not a French boat has some importance.

The only exception to a bigger boat doing well is an Opium 39 that is disputing the first place in the Solo division (departure from Barcelona) with a A35. On the opposite direction we have a really small boat doing well, two A31 on the fight for the best solo boat (departure France).

Yes, when all boats are together (second leg) it will be more fun and interesting to see how the Spanish will cope with the French.

Transquadra 2011

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2011

The magazine "Yacht" tested the Halberg-Rassy 64 and have made a nice movie (cut the talk and see the images).

Hallberg-Rassy 64: Segeln, reisen und träumen - YACHT-TV*|*YACHT.DE

The HR 64 is one of the boats nominated to the European boat of the year contest (category: Luxury cruisers) and the one I like more in that category.

Contrary to the other boats on the category is still much a sailing boat and not a floating condo. High quality but still looking like a sailboat and a good and fast one judging by the images.

Last edited by PCP; 07-13-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2011

Not less interesting, on another register...the first image of the new J 70. Looking good

Old 07-14-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Hi everybody,
I participated earlier in the discussion and how now been busy for a month taking delivery of the Opium 39 and starting sailing her back home. I thought I would give you some feed back on my experiences after having sailed some 500 nm with the boat.

Of course I hoped for continous surfs at 13 knots but as I somewhat expected that is, as on most boats, demanding a gennaker in high winds, higher than what a normal crew usually is comfortable with. And when Yacht recorded 9 knots in 8 knots of wind at TWA 90 degrees I guess they where high on something. So am I dissapointed? Not at all, I am totally stoked.

When comparing with all other cruisers on the water in the baltic right now, we leave harbours last and are by big margings first of the bunch in to the next one. Ok, these are not competitions and the boats are sailed with rather unskilled crews but still. What is impressing me most is the easyness of the sailing. You can be totally owerpowered or pressing the boat hard and you have finger tip control of the rudders, no weather helm at all and you are in full control and feeling totally safe. So what I hoped for and saw as the biggest selling point, twin rudders, has delivered in full.

Furthermore all loads are so low due to low boat weight and oversized Harken deck gear so instead of fighting high ballast ratios and frictions we set mainsail and reef, we sheet and winch once again with a smile and one hand on the winch.

I am also stoked by the storage room provided by the concept. The wide cockpit lockers in the floor between the aft cabins are huge, as are the rest of the storage spaces in the boat. We are right now cruising with a lot of gear and the boat seems to take it well. And big windows at low levels and cockpit floor level low compared with inside floor level gives nice views from inside.

So I am very happy with the concept despite those videos with stable, fully planing (pogos) at 15 knots speed will be somewhat difficult to obtain in normal cruising mode. I am surprised that the big ones are so slow in incrporating twin rudders on their aft beamy cruisers at least. You can obtain high form stability, less weight in the keel, get a very big cockpit and aft cabins and still sail agressively in full control. But, OK, you will need a bow propeller while mooring but at the same time almost all cruisers are sold with one today.

Regards,
Anders

Last edited by JAndersB; 07-14-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-14-2011

Hi Anders,

I am happy for you. It is good to know that you have found the same qualities on the Opium 39 that I have found when I have test sailed the boat. You never know, sometimes people experience different things over a same subject and I was a bit afraid that after having recommended this boat you would be disappointed.

Please keep us posted about the boat performances.

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-14-2011

New boat, or should I say new boats?

Two from the Dufour, the 445 that was nominated for this year's boat of the year and the smaller 335, the first ones since Bavaria owns Dufour.

The 445 has nothing new, except that comes in the continuity of the 425 and the 425 was a great boat. This one seams even better with lot's of interesting details. I like more the interior of the jeanneau 436 but I have to admit that this one has an huge galley and some very interesting solutions.

I love the integrated gennaker pole and the wine cellar

Dufour 335 GL: Klares Bekenntnis zum Tourer - Yachten + Jollen*|*YACHT.DE

The revolution comes in the 335 that is very well designed, at least on the outside. Chapeau Mr Felci, I don't know how you managed to make such an elegant cruising 33ft.

The boat looks bigger than a 33ft, that's for sure and they advertise a larger cruising autonomy, compared with similar boats. This boat can take 360L of water and 160L of fuel. Outstanding for this type of boat.

The boat has also a innovative control of the boom and has no back stay (I don't know if I like that )

Some dimensions:

LOA : 10,28m (9,98m - removable bow roller)
Hull lenght : 9,98 m
LWL : 9,00 m
Beam : 3,49 m
Displacement : 5450 kg
Draft : 1,9 m
Ballast : 1550 kg
Main sail area: 29 m²
Genoa 128% : 25 m²
engine : 20 cv
Designer : Umberto Felci

Last edited by PCP; 07-14-2011 at 11:05 AM.