Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Promotion film of my favorite race, 2012 edition:

‪Vendee Globe Race 2012‬‏ - YouTube
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Goes to show what a good sailor can do on a good boat. ... Will be interesting to see what happens with the 2nd leg and the guys from the Atlantic and Med go head to head. I'm sure there will be some good ribbing between the groups as most on the Atlantic side think the Med is for bar hopping sailors.
Yes, regarding the two groups, on the Spanish one the fastest boats are Jeanneaus 3200 (two) followed by a JPK 110. On the French group the A 35 have been consistently faster, followed by A31 and two different JPK models, two 110 a 9.6. The first Jeanneau 3200 is only 10th.

Also incredible that on the Barcelona group the first jeanneau 3200 has arrived already to Madeira while the Jeanneau 49 has barely got out of the Gibraltar strait Yes, you are right about "what a good sailor can do on a good boat" regarding to the duo that has already arrived but can the duo on the Jeanneau SO 49 be that bad, or it is really the boat that is not a match for the little ones, at least in what regards solo sailing?

Funny thing is that according to the IRC handicap the SO 49 should be a lot faster than the Sun Fast 3200 (1.056 to 1.002).

Also interesting that an older boat (French departure), an Archambault Sprint 108, is keeping with the front pack (7th) and also to note what seems to be a not very good Pogo 8.5 performance: While several A31 are close to the head of the race, the First Pogo is only 39th. There is one slightly ahead, running in solo category on 13th place (but near the other Pogo on scratch), but over performed by a guy on a Bavaria 38 (solo - 13th) and by another duo on an Beneteau Oceanis 37 (32th).

Humm, it seems that a Bavaria in good hands can go fast.

Transquadra 2011

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-14-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2011

Something really nice, a new one off by Georg Nissen, the Designer of the modern Contest and the Sirius:

Well, If I wanted to be picky I would say that the galley seems too small for a blue water boat (this is a passage-maker for two ) but otherwise the boat is rely something and on a recent boat test they also say that it sails well and has a remarkable stability. I wonder how much would cost a baby like this
Old 07-15-2011

Also new panoramic views on a favorite of mine, the Salona 41. Lot's of views and with excellent quality. Take a look, they are really nice:

360 - Salona Yachts
Old 07-15-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Yes, regarding the two groups, on the Spanish one the fastest boats are Jeanneaus 3200 (two) followed by a JPK 110. On the French group the A 35 have been consistently faster, followed by A31 and two different JPK models, two 110 a 9.6. The first Jeanneau 3200 is only 10th.

Also incredible that on the Barcelona group the first jeanneau 3200 has arrived already to Madeira while the Jeanneau 49 has barely got out of the Gibraltar strait Yes, you are right about "what a good sailor can do on a good boat" regarding to the duo that has already arrived but can the duo on the Jeanneau SO 49 be that bad, or it is really the boat that is not a match for the little ones, at least in what regards solo sailing?

Funny thing is that according to the IRC handicap the SO 49 should be a lot faster than the Sun Fast 3200 (1.056 to 1.002).

Also interesting that an older boat (French departure), an Archambault Sprint 108, is keeping with the front pack (7th) and also to note what seems to be a not very good Pogo 8.5 performance: While several A31 are close to the head of the race, the First Pogo is only 39th. There is one slightly ahead, running in solo category on 13th place (but near the other Pogo on scratch), but over performed by a guy on a Bavaria 38 (solo - 13th) and by another duo on an Beneteau Oceanis 37 (32th).

Humm, it seems that a Bavaria in good hands can go fast.

Transquadra 2011

Regards

Paulo
The latest Voiles et Voiliers has the bios of the teams - The first place Team Winds on the A35 are ex crew with Tabarly and have already raced the TQ. the Sprint 108 team has raced TQ 6 times. Etc, etc.. There is a pretty close correlation to experience and position on the first leg. When you look at the weather windows on the TQ site, you see those that didn't have the right approach from the beginning missed the Finisterre pass with wind and got nailed losing time. Same for the Barcelona start where the last boats missed the window to get past the Baléares because they didn't stick to the route on a VMG basis and got pretty.
Not saying the boats don't make a difference, but really, with both those 2 weather windows killing the "slower" boats I'd like to see the sails they were sailing and the night shift procedures they had (as both were dark hour drops in the wind where smarts & experience plays an even larger part in success.)
Old 07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
The latest Voiles et Voiliers has the bios of the teams - The first place Team Winds on the A35 are ex crew with Tabarly and have already raced the TQ. the Sprint 108 team has raced TQ 6 times. Etc, etc.. There is a pretty close correlation to experience and position on the first leg. When you look at the weather windows on the TQ site, you see those that didn't have the right approach from the beginning missed the Finisterre pass with wind and got nailed losing time. Same for the Barcelona start where the last boats missed the window to get past the Baléares because they didn't stick to the route on a VMG basis and got pretty.
Not saying the boats don't make a difference, but really, with both those 2 weather windows killing the "slower" boats I'd like to see the sails they were sailing and the night shift procedures they had (as both were dark hour drops in the wind where smarts & experience plays an even larger part in success.)
Yes I agree, but let's not forget that those two (team winds) have 60 an 54 year's old and have nothing of "semi-professionals". More like once a good sailor, always a good sailor Nice job by those two veterans

Yes of course, a fast boat with mediocre sailors will not be fast but a slower boat will never stand a chance over a faster boat sailed by an equivalent sailor, even a less competent one that knows the ropes and on that race there are a lot of veterans that know how to sail fast. Many were once racers in different classes.

I believe that one of the things that count here is the capacity of driving the boat at full potential and for two guys well over the 50's it makes a big difference handling a smaller spinnaker on a A35 or a bigger one on a J 122 or in a First 40.7. Not an easy task for two old guys and even less during the night when only one is on the cockpit.

Probably that is what makes smaller boat more competitive than bigger boats and what permits a A31, a SF 3200 or a JPK 9.60 to have almost the same performance as a A35. On a race with full crew the smaller boats would not stand a chance against the A35. That is probably also the reason why you don't see a singe A40rc racing: too demanding for two veterans.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-15-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2011

Quote:
Yes I agree, but let's not forget that those two (team winds) have 60 an 54 year's old and have nothing of "semi-professionals". More like once a good sailor, always a good sailor Nice job by those two veterans

Yes of course, a fast boat with mediocre sailors will not be fast but a slower boat will never stand a chance over a faster boat sailed by an equivalent sailor, even a less competent one that knows the ropes and on that race there are a lot of veterans that know how to sail fast. Many were once racers in different classes.

I believe that one of the things that count here is the capacity of driving the boat at full potential and for two guys well over the 50's it makes a big difference handling a smaller spinnaker on a A35 or a bigger one on a J 122 or in a First 40.7. Not an easy task for two old guys and even less during the night when only one is on the cockpit.

Probably that is what makes smaller boat more competitive than bigger boats and what permits a A31, a SF 3200 or a JPK 9.60 to have almost the same performance as a A35. On a race with full crew the smaller boats would not stand a chance against the A35. That is probably also the reason why you don't see a singe A40rc racing: too demanding for two veterans.

Regards

Paulo
I agree on the manageability aspect for sure. I'd always go with the smallest that is safe, seaworthy, and fast. That being said you have a really broad mix of sailors on the TQ and that plays a major factor. You see the big difference on the "trajectories" vs. weather planning and vmg at night - those are the keys and the cool thing is you can see on the TQ2011 site those that optimize and those that "get by". Gonna be an interesting 2nd leg but the Barcelona "group" is pretty much a 6 boat race now.
Old 07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Hi everybody,
I participated earlier in the discussion and how now been busy for a month taking delivery of the Opium 39 and starting sailing her back home. I thought I would give you some feed back on my experiences after having sailed some 500 nm with the boat.

Of course I hoped for continous surfs at 13 knots but as I somewhat expected that is, as on most boats, demanding a gennaker in high winds, higher than what a normal crew usually is comfortable with. And when Yacht recorded 9 knots in 8 knots of wind at TWA 90 degrees I guess they where high on something. So am I dissapointed? Not at all, I am totally stoked.

When comparing with all other cruisers on the water in the baltic right now, we leave harbours last and are by big margings first of the bunch in to the next one. Ok, these are not competitions and the boats are sailed with rather unskilled crews but still. What is impressing me most is the easyness of the sailing. You can be totally owerpowered or pressing the boat hard and you have finger tip control of the rudders, no weather helm at all and you are in full control and feeling totally safe. So what I hoped for and saw as the biggest selling point, twin rudders, has delivered in full.

Furthermore all loads are so low due to low boat weight and oversized Harken deck gear so instead of fighting high ballast ratios and frictions we set mainsail and reef, we sheet and winch once again with a smile and one hand on the winch.

I am also stoked by the storage room provided by the concept. The wide cockpit lockers in the floor between the aft cabins are huge, as are the rest of the storage spaces in the boat. We are right now cruising with a lot of gear and the boat seems to take it well. And big windows at low levels and cockpit floor level low compared with inside floor level gives nice views from inside.

So I am very happy with the concept despite those videos with stable, fully planing (pogos) at 15 knots speed will be somewhat difficult to obtain in normal cruising mode. I am surprised that the big ones are so slow in incrporating twin rudders on their aft beamy cruisers at least. You can obtain high form stability, less weight in the keel, get a very big cockpit and aft cabins and still sail agressively in full control. But, OK, you will need a bow propeller while mooring but at the same time almost all cruisers are sold with one today.

Regards,
Anders
Anders, Congrats on the boat - it is a beautiful specimen! Looking forward to more war stories of the good and bad of it!
Old 07-15-2011

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Something really nice, a new one off by Georg Nissen, the Designer of the modern Contest and the Sirius:

Does it come with the salty sailor in the cockpit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 07-15-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Also new panoramic views on a favorite of mine, the Salona 41. Lot's of views and with excellent quality. Take a look, they are really nice:

360 - Salona Yachts
That interior is eerily identical to that of the opium.

BTW Paulo, are you the same guy in youtube PPconsultant? That guys awesome with his lessons.

Last edited by Chimbatete; 07-15-2011 at 06:12 PM.