Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Something really nice, a new one off by Georg Nissen, the Designer of the modern Contest and the Sirius:

Well, If I wanted to be picky I would say that the galley seems too small for a blue water boat (this is a passage-maker for two ) but otherwise the boat is rely something and on a recent boat test they also say that it sails well and has a remarkable stability. I wonder how much would cost a baby like this
Now thats a bit sexy Paulo. Looks a bit similar to the van Meer designed Puffin though very different in the hind quarters. I cannot find a link to the builder, do you know what she looks like underwater ?

Being picky I'd have to agree with you re the galley.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
That interior is eerily identical to that of the opium.

BTW Paulo, are you the same guy in youtube PPconsultant? That guys awesome with his lessons.
No I am not that guy.

Regarding the interiors there is some confusion they are both nice but very different.

Take a look:

Bateau Opium 39 by Wauquiez : Wauquiez

360 - Salona Yachts

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-15-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
My Bad Paulo,

Another question. You had mentioned that Luffe doesnt market and they dont do boatshows. So does this mean that when they price their boat (Fully loaded 40.04) at $400k you are getting a good deal since this boat ordinarily would have cost 20-30% more?

On the other hand a J122 worth $450k is boat for boat not as good a value as a Luffe 40.04 since JBoats are one of the most marketed boats in history?
Old 07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Now thats a bit sexy Paulo. Looks a bit similar to the van Meer designed Puffin though very different in the hind quarters. I cannot find a link to the builder, do you know what she looks like underwater ?

Being picky I'd have to agree with you re the galley.
It is a modern hull and the boat is not particularly heavy: 9.8T for 12.75m, a fin keel with a bulb and a 2.10 draft. On the "Yacht" magazine test they were impressed with the speed and stability. It is not really old, just looks classic

The builder was this:

Nissen 42 | Yachtbau Janssen & Renkhoff

But this boat is a one off, not a production boat.

Have a look at the Architect site, Georg Nissen like me he likes all kinds of boats and he has some very interesting designs, from classical boats to fast cruiser racers. Pity that this one is not yet there.

Yachtdesign Georg Nissen

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-15-2011

Quote:
My Bad Paulo,

Another question. You had mentioned that Luffe doesnt market and they dont do boatshows. So does this mean that when they price their boat (Fully loaded 40.04) at $400k you are getting a good deal since this boat ordinarily would have cost 20-30% more?

On the other hand a J122 worth $450k is boat for boat not as good a value as a Luffe 40.04 since JBoats are one of the most marketed boats in history?
Well, I am partial about Luffe. Before the crisis I thought I could have money for one and visited the shipyard, talked with Oluf JÝrgensen the designer and owner of shipyard and test sailed with him what was then a brand new 4004 (his personal boat). I was very impressed with the boat, with the quality of built and I still think that the Luffe offers one of the best compromises between top quality and price.

The boat is not only fast and with a top quality interior but also very strong, using a steel structure to distribute all the efforts from the keel and rigging.

A J122 is a great and fast boat, a Luffe is a work of art

This was the boat I test sailed, the "Josefine":

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-15-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Thats a beautiful boat Paolo, how would you compare that to the new Faurby 396 Jesper Bank edition? This boat seems to be the most anticipated thing in the racing circuit.

Old 07-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Luffe ... drop dead gorgeous things . If I ever get to Europe again I am going to pay them a visit.

Must say I do like the look of the J and Paulo keeps on picking gooduns with that Hallberg Rassey. I note that the previous owners of our new girl have just bought themselves an HR 46. They do have good taste, I'll give them that. This is his second HR.

In the past I've not be so keen on the HR due to the high freeboard of the flush decks but the newer series with coach roof design really does it for me. Quite frankly I doubt I'll ever go larger than our current 41feet but that HR 46 ? mmmmmm ... nice.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-16-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Anders,

WE WANT PICTURES
I will put up pictures and videos as soon as I have time and better internet connection. So busy having fun sailing right now, and rooming rates too high to go through 3G-networks with that kind of stuff. And marina wi-fi sucks as usual.

Some more sailing facts.

We did some dead downwind 30 NM runs with pooled out genua in 18-25 knots of wind and short baltic waves of appr 1 m. Typical speeds 9-11,5 knots.

At 70 TWA and wind speed 16-24 knots, two reefs in main we had continious speeds of 9-10,5 knots and finger tip control at very high heeling angles. Wife even fell at sleep on the wide side decks in a comfort seat (check these seats out, they are gorgeus).

And a 20 NM run at 120 TWA with wind 20-30 knots, very small waves (off shore conditions). First full main and genoa and then 1 reef in, speed once again with finger tip steering between 9-12 knots.

In light wind 60 degrees TWA, wind strenght 11-15 knots, we made 7,5-8 knots steadily for 30 NM.

Regards,
Anders
Old 07-16-2011

Quote:
Thats a beautiful boat Paolo, how would you compare that to the new Faurby 396 Jesper Bank edition? This boat seems to be the most anticipated thing in the racing circuit.

The Jesper Bank edition is just an old 396 with an open transom. the Faurby 396 is a beautiful boat with an interior even better than the one from Luffe.

It is a fast boat for a cruiser but cannot compare with the Luffe 4004. He is slower in real time than a same length First, an Elan or a Salona...and slower than a Luffe. In Denmark the guys that like Luffe use to call then killer X. The X are the X yachts, another Danish boat and one of the fastest boats around.

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
I will put up pictures and videos as soon as I have time and better internet connection. So busy having fun sailing right now, and rooming rates too high to go through 3G-networks with that kind of stuff. And marina wi-fi sucks as usual.

Some more sailing facts.

We did some dead downwind 30 NM runs with pooled out genua in 18-25 knots of wind and short baltic waves of appr 1 m. Typical speeds 9-11,5 knots.

At 70 TWA and wind speed 16-24 knots, two reefs in main we had continious speeds of 9-10,5 knots and finger tip control at very high heeling angles. Wife even fell at sleep on the wide side decks in a comfort seat (check these seats out, they are gorgeus).

And a 20 NM run at 120 TWA with wind 20-30 knots, very small waves (off shore conditions). First full main and genoa and then 1 reef in, speed once again with finger tip steering between 9-12 knots.

In light wind 60 degrees TWA, wind strenght 11-15 knots, we made 7,5-8 knots steadily for 30 NM.

Regards,
Anders
Lucky guy, having fun while I am still at home....but not for long

These seems great numbers even if when I tested the boat I recall having made 7.7/8K with 60ļ of apparent wind with only 8/10k of true wind.

Regarding downwind sailing I am pretty sure the boat can go faster with more wind....the question that with time I hope you are going to answer is how much wind does it need to go at 13/15K (maybe 25/35K).

While waiting for your movies I will post one that will give you satisfaction, the movie of an Opium 39 that just finish to win the first leg of the Transquadra (solo) crewed by a 54 year's old sailor.

Dailymotion - Eric crie et chante sur son bateau ! - une vidéo Sports & Extreme

All the way he put up a big fight with an younger guy on a A 35:

Dailymotion - T'as le look Coco !! - une vidéo Sports & Extreme

The guy from the Opium was too modest, he only have said that he had put the "charbon", meaning full speed, but the guy from the A35 said he had come as fast as he could and that he had surfed at 20.5K.

Of course these boats are as light as they can be and your's is heavy with all the cruising equipment and that makes a difference in what regards planing.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-16-2011 at 06:09 AM.