Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Regarding the Transquadra, the one that departed from France are coming down on the trade winds, fast, doing over 9K on 30/35ft boats. Not bad for veterans on solo or duos

Amazingly the smaller boats can keep the rhythm with the leading A35. The tree boats that are chasing are all smaller: A A31, a JPK9.6 and a JPK10.10.

We can take a conclusion here, old guys are not slower guys. The crew from the A35 is by far the older, with 60 year's old and 54, the one from the A31 has 41/43, the one from the JPK 9.6 50/48 and the one from the JPK 10.10 50/43.

Or take the opposite conclusion: Experience matters

Seriously, I am truly amazed that those two guys in the A35 can maintain that rhythm and sustain a long chase without weakening. At 60 year's age against 15 year's younger guys...CHAPEAU.

Transquadra 2011

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2011

Nice images from the first Transquadra duo that arrived at Madeira (departed from Barcelona). 25K wind, blowing 30K and they come with all the sail out (and some broaches). A couple on a jeanneau Sunfast 3200; they have make a great race:

Dailymotion - Il était temps d'arriver ! - une vidéo Sports & Extreme
Old 07-16-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Eric,
the last posts may induce some in error regarding the seaworthiness and safety of class 40 and Pogo cruisers. Not what I meant.

As I have said before Pogo cruisers and Class 40 have a good AVS and a good safety stability, by modern standards.
Sorry for this late answer, I have been unable to post for a while but kept on following this thread closely.

Thank you for your thorough analysis, Paulo. No real worry of course, since you and Ulf already posted very reassuring data.
But now we are even more comforted about the safety issues of these designs, which is of course our main concern.

The discussions about performance of different types of boats in different racing conditions confirm that it always comes down to making personal choices.
Since we have no intention to race, I think we will probably take wind direction and prediction even more into consideration when planning where to go than on a heavier and slimmer yacht.
As long as I know the boat will also beat upwind like most other cruisers when required, I'm quite happy with that.

Many congratulations with your Opium 39, Anders!
I perfectly understand your choice and the figures are already quite impressive. And since you will always get to know your yacht better and better...

Kind regards,

Eric
Old 07-16-2011

Hey Eric,

Yes, of course you are right, even among fast boats there is no perfect cruiser, they all have compromises, different compromises and each sailor values them in a different way and therefore the best compromise for me probably is not the best compromise for you

.................................................. .................................................. ....

Last post about the European's boat of the year contest, the last category, the Special ones, meaning the boats that don't fit in any of the previous categories mostly day sailors.

Day sailers is a category the boat that is increasing in Europe. Lot's of people don't have time to cruise and just want some beautiful and pleasurable sailing boat to go out sailing and having fun. There are really some stunning boats on the market among them some new boats that were nominated for the 2012 contest:

The Eangle 44 is certainly on of the most beautiful, in a classic way:

‪Eagle 42 by Yacht Vision‬‏ - YouTube

The Dinamica 940 is also beautiful but in a modern way:

‪Dinamica Yachts 940 Daysailer‬‏ - YouTube

The Esse 750 is the more recent brother of a legend called Esse 850, a lake boat and a very popular racer. Beautiful boat and probably as exhilarating to sail as his bigger brother:

‪esse 750 - first impressions‬‏ - YouTube

The Tarac is a Swedish week end cruiser, nicely designed and with a great interior:

Tarac 33 « ComfortbÃ¥tar Marin AB

And finally the Keus 22 that is a simple inexpensive and fun to sail boat:

‪keus 22‬‏ - YouTube

Hard to chose among these but I have a weakness for the Eagle 44. It is such an improbable boat, such a waist of money for a daysailer...and such a beautiful thing. It is as beautiful as this one, that is among my favorite classic boats:

‪Stephens Waring 50 ft Spirit of Tradition daysailer Ginger.mov‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by PCP; 07-16-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2011

Since we are talking about daysailers and beautiful boats it would not be fair not to talk about the Stephens & Waring 38 Performance Cruiser. This is an one off conceived for this program:

"She has been conceived as a boat for day use on Lake Michigan with an eye towards single-handing the Chicago-Mackinaw race once a year. Style and charisma characterize her personality in this high performance day-sailer, these traits exemplified by the bright work joinery in the cabin structure and hull topsides. The owner and his wife proudly describe the project as ”a piece of art” to the builders interested in bringing this dream to reality.

Many folks would be quite happy soaking up the rays with a G & T in hand while sailing this hot rod and employing only their fingertips to do the work. The boat is streamlined. It is tricked out with modest push-button functionality from stem to stern–concealed sheet leads and under-deck halyards all make their way to power assisted winches or hydraulically assisted functions. A slightly tuned down racing yacht, she has conservative draft and a punchy sail plan that should promise lively sailing off the shores of the windy city. Though she is a relatively small boat, the amenities below are plenty for an overnight stay in a favored harbor–the lightly appointed galley, a decent head and two generous quarter-births allow easy accommodation for two."

This is a wonderful boat that could be easily modified for coastal cruising and offshore work, just take a look at one of the most beautiful boats I ever saw:

‪Stephens Waring 38 Performance Cruiser 360 view.mov‬‏ - YouTube

America is not unfortunately the land of opportunities for sail boat designers. Sailing boats are on decline and the edge goes all to motor boats. New boats sell a lot less than in Europe. Maybe some day this will change ( Sailnet is a bastion of resistance against this trend) and only that explains that a boat such as beautiful as this is not a hit instead of a lonely one off.

Steve white & Paul Waring, the designers of this boat have already designed some of the most beautiful classic boats around, boats with a classic outlook but a modern and fast hull. It is sad that they are trying to survive instead of having the just success they deserved.

‪stephenswaringdesign's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Breaking out of their custom-sail mold

Just take a look at some of their boats:

And don't miss the movies:

‪Stephens Waring Yacht Design Montage.mov‬‏ - YouTube

‪Stephens Waring 50 Hoi An.mov‬‏ - YouTube

‪stephenswaringdesign's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

‪Stephens Waring 90 ft yawl Bequia.mov‬‏ - YouTube

Langley Multimedia: Bequia

Last edited by PCP; 07-17-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2011

I left Marjorie out and I let it out because I like this one so much that if I win the lottery, instead of living in the winter in my country house and in the summer in a boat, I just might command one for me and live all the time in a boat. She deserves a post just for her:

I like the classic interior, not too heavy, but agreeable and cozy. This one really looks like a SAILBOAT inside, a comfortable one for that matter and on the outside this 59ft has the looks of a boat that was beautiful 30 years ago, is beautiful now and will be beautiful when my grand children owns it. That's what this boat is all about, a family boat to be owned for generations on the same family. I like the idea, I am a family man.

Don't miss the movie:

Marjorie on Vimeo

And for having a more complete look at the work of this guys:

Stephens Waring Yacht Design - SW Yacht Design - Brooklin, Maine

The Boats of Brooklin Boat Yard

Last edited by PCP; 07-17-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
Now I've seen everything. A wood burning fireplace aboard a yacht. I'm stunned and agape at the Bequia. (At the same time, I understand fully it can only be owned by and built for a banker. In the past, you needed to convince a large population that god appointed you to rule them to acquire such wealth. What a fooked up world.)
Old 07-17-2011

Transquadra

The guys from France have arrived last night. The older team hold the younger guys at large and brilliantly won the race with the A35. Then it come a JPK 9.60, a A31, a A35, a JPK 10.10 and only then the first Sun Fast 3200, at 3h 40m from the First.

Let's see on the second leg how these guys compare with the guys that come from Barcelona and if the SF 3200 that win that race can compete with the other boats that stay ahead of the Sun Fast.

The First solo was in a JPK 10.10 and the second on a A31.

Lot's of sailors chose JPK for doing the Transquadra and they got excellent results and that is amazing for such a small firm, as was the number of different types of boat models racing: The JPK 10.10, the 9.60 and the 110, all with good results

Next edition we will have one more JPK racing and probably one even more adapted to this race, the new 38, that should be a blast downwind.

Old 07-17-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It is sad that they are trying to survive instead of having the just success they deserved.
One word answer - $$$$$$$$$$$.

They are gorgeous though. Check out Tim Lackey's daysailor made from an old, dead glass hull for WAAAY less $$$ at Lackeysailing.com
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-17-2011

Luxury daysailers are not the kind of boat that I am more attracted too even if I understand the concept: Sailing with style on a pleasurable boat on a sunny afternoon (I just like to do it longer) but for many Europeans this is the boat they want.

Just to give you an idea of the market extension let me post some movies dedicated to the ones that really want one. I am pretty sure there are 3 times more boat builders that the ones I am posting. Mind that these are not one off, but production boats and that some of those 30ft cost the same or more than much bigger mass production cruising boats.

It is not about the money, its about sailing and about pleasure Many of these boats are very fast boats:

‪Saffier sc 10.m daysailer‬‏ - YouTube

‪Saffier 23‬‏ - YouTube

‪Sly 42 fun, cruiser yacht‬‏ - YouTube

‪Brenta38‬‏ - YouTube

‪B52 La Spezia July 2009‬‏ - YouTube

‪Tofinou 12 (2)‬‏ - YouTube

‪Tofinou by Starck Salon Nautique de Paris 2010‬‏ - YouTube

‪Tofinou 8m.mov‬‏ - YouTube

‪Saffier 26 ft Daysailer‬‏ - YouTube

‪Daysailer Biehl 8.8 im Flensburger Hafen.AVI‬‏ - YouTube

‪HUZAR 28 Yacht photo‬‏ - YouTube

‪HUZAR 28 Yacht‬‏ - YouTube

‪Maxi Dolphin MD 33 Day Sailer‬‏ - YouTube

‪Maxi Dolphin MD65‬‏ - YouTube

‪Scandinavian Cruiser 20 - New Classic One-Design Day-Boat‬‏ - YouTube

‪Brand new Rustler 24 sailing in michigan part 2‬‏ - YouTube

‪yacht feeling - Wally Nano‬‏ - YouTube

‪Wally Nano turn around‬‏ - YouTube

‪Alphena Three d'Alphena Yachts‬‏ - YouTube

‪SENSEI 9M‬‏ - YouTube

‪ERYD 30‬‏ - YouTube

‪ERYD OPEN‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by PCP; 07-17-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.