Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011

mrybas is on a distinguished road
Has the Futuna line of boats been discussed on this thread? If so, I apologize.....I haven't made it through the entire thread (yet).
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-futuna57-05.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Hope someone can translate or subtitle this.

Also look at 2:38 to 3:00 min

‪Jeanneau 409 -- Hamnen.se testar The Yacht of the year‬‏ - YouTube

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 07-18-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Has the Futuna line of boats been discussed on this thread? If so, I apologize.....I haven't made it through the entire thread (yet).
No, we didn't have...and welcome to the thread

Not because they are not great boats (they are) but because most of the thread is about smaller boats...that even so are more expensive than what most of us can have the money to get

But maybe you are a rich guy that can have a luck of one day having one or just a dreamer like the rest of us...and the Futuna 57 is a nice dream, a 750 000€ dream.

I believe the 57 is a 2007 boat but Marc Lombard is designing bluewater boats along these lines for some years now. Marc Lombard is one of my preferred architects, with many designs, from cruising to racing and in what racing is concerned with special relevance in solo boats, Open 60's and 40 class racers.

The Futuna clearly reflects his experience with Open 60's even if the boat is more narrow. The boat is just perfect, specially on the version with lifting keel (draft 1.65 - 2.85). 1.65m of draft will permit it to cruise everywhere and the aluminum hull will give added protection against all the floating debris around. The light infused composite deck and cabin will help to maintain all weight down.

If I wanted to be picky I would say that if the quality of the interior seems to be very good the design seems a bit... well, it could be better even if the interior is agreeable.

Futuna 57:

Well they have improved the interior on the new boat that they are finishing, the new 50. The boat is a bit less gorgeous on the outside looks but the interior is definitively better,specially in the way the box for raising the keel is integrated, not to mention that this one has a raised saloon that will improve the outside views.

Personally I would prefer this to the bigger one, if I had the 600000€ to give for a boat this one could well be the one I would chose:

"The Futuna 50 is the little one of the Futuna line of aluminum sailboats and should inherit of the great directional stability downwind and very high average speeds on all points of sailing. The raised saloon with panoramic views outside and a modern and esthetic lines make her a true little jewel.

As with the other yachts of the Futuna line, the Futuna 50 has fine entry lines, maximum dynamic waterline length and reduced waterline beam when heeled. The wide stern sections associated with the twin-rudder configuration lends fine helm control for high pleasure sailing. The modern 9/10 fractional rig can be fitted with a carbon-fiber mast and boom.

Well thought out interior layout, generous and safe cockpit both at sea and at anchor, ample storage space, aluminum hull for security, all this makes this cruiser ideal for extended voyages with speed and comfort.

The composite sandwich deck, as well as keeping the boat as light as possible provides more thermal insulation that would an all-aluminum structure."

But hey, if you like big boats why not dream with the bigger one, the Futuna 70 that reached the market in 2009

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-18-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Sail-World.com : New for 2012: Jeanneau's Sun Odyssey 44DS

THere is an article on the New Jeanneau 44DS, that I called a 42 then a 43......the DS version of the 439!

Marty
Old 07-18-2011

mrybas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
But maybe you are a rich guy that can have a luck of one day having one or just a dreamer like the rest of us...and the Futuna 57 is a nice dream, a 750 000Ä dream.
Unfortunately these boats are way out of my league.....but it doesn't hurt to dream.
Old 07-18-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
BYM Product and Industry News

Another article, highlighting the 44ds and 509 coming out. A 469 is also rumoured to be coming out, but no info as of yet.

Marty
Old 07-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Hope someone can translate or subtitle this.

Also look at 2:38 to 3:00 min

‪Jeanneau 409 -- Hamnen.se testar The Yacht of the year‬‏ - YouTube
Nice video. We can see that the boat is fast, easy to solo sailing and that it can take a lot of heeling without losing grip on the rudder and without broaching.

Regarding the test all I know is that the guy speaks Swedish and that's the end of my knowledge about the language. I believe there are some Swedes around this thread, maybe they can tell you if the guy says well or bad about the boat. If I understand something about body language I would say that he says mostly nice things

Rock, there is nothing like a test sail. Pick an airplane and go test one, even if you have to go far away.

This guy seems to have one for test sailing...on the wrong coast

‪New Jeanneau yacht 409 Sailboat start to delivery day sail B‬‏ - YouTube

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-18-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Well, I prefer that the rich spend their money on nice looking sailboats that to waste it on huge motor yachts that are many times ugly and contribute to polute the planet Unfortunately most have bad taste and have motorboats anyway

I think that fireplace is a gas one.

Regards

Paulo
Nice boat Paulo .... very pretty indeed ... man if I owned one you could not convince to live on land.

The fireplace btw looks like a Dickinson Alaska though its a bit hard to tell. They do them either gas or diesel fired.

Dickinson do in fact also make a solid fuel stove. Hugely impractical on anything except a houseboat I guess but I like the idea.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Paulo,

I saw 409 last Sat in Annapolis. We (me, wife and son) like it especially for the price. However, one thing drives me nut is they put wood paneling in the Head. They must try to imitate the American boat factory. I like the French boat because they all have clean glossy white in their head so easy to clean that you can eat on the floor. Now they just wood all over. I couldn't believe my eyes.

When I take shower, I have water flying all over the place. Now I have to worry about water damage. With our current Jeanneau, SO37, I can clean the head in 1.5 min. Spray Clorox Cleanup all over the head, spray and rinse, and close the door and let dry.

I hope I can order one with the cheap wood paneling

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
......but it doesn't hurt to dream.
Hey, it looks like you are apologizing for dreaming

On one of the more popular Portuguese poems, a poet says about the ones that don't dream (translated):

They do not know, or dream,

that dreams command life,

that whenever a man dreams

the world jumps and moves

as a colored ball

in the hands of a child.

That poem has also been put in a nice song, it sounds better in Portuguese

‪Fado, Carlos do Carmo- Pedra Filosofal‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by PCP; 07-18-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.