Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post

THere is an article on the New Jeanneau 44DS, that I called a 42 then a 43......the DS version of the 439!

Marty
Yes, as usual in what regards Jeanneau you are the best source of information.

Yes, they have a new 44ds on the 439 hull. The boat is fast even if a bit fat for my taste, however the boat design manages to hide it pretty well and it seems that the improvements in performance that were introduced in the 409 and 439 are to be continued on the DS line.

The polar speed they show is outstanding for this type of boat. Speeds in between 8 and 9K seems easy to get:

On the outside the boat looks more elegant than the old 47 with a look that seems to differ from the rest of Jeanneau DS line and seems closer to the Wauquiez DS line:

The cockpit layout and area seems to be very good:

The interior looks good on the drawings even if with that "apartment" look that I don't like particularly but that should suit many costumers:

But the real thing looks a bit dim compared with the drawings. The interior of the old 45 looked better to me, but that was a very good interior by any standards:

The main cabin seems great and it has a private head:

A good boat for the ones that live aboard for a long time and that stay more at anchor or at the marina than sailing. A boat with a good sailing performance for a DS.

Last edited by PCP; 07-19-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

What a beauty! And so it will be forever, while most other designs look outdated within few years. The kind of yacht you can live on, gather your family around and pass on to your children and grandchildren.

If only it can be kept in good shape... I'm afraid the maintenance of all this splendid woodwork implies a whole lot of sanding and varnishing, time and effort that can not be spent on sailing.
But I if one can afford such a beauty, he or her will probably not have to worry about doing the dishes, let alone the paintwork.

So what a beautiful dream this is, and what would life be without dreams... For me this thread works much better than a nightcap.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 07-19-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Nice video. We can see that the boat is fast, easy to solo sailing and that it can take a lot of heeling without losing grip on the rudder and without broaching.

Regarding the test all I know is that the guy speaks Swedish and that's the end of my knowledge about the language. I believe there are some Swedes around this thread, maybe they can tell you if the guy says well or bad about the boat. If I understand something about body language I would say that he says mostly nice things

Rock, there is nothing like a test sail. Pick an airplane and go test one, even if you have to go far away.

This guy seems to have one for test sailing...on the wrong coast

‪New Jeanneau yacht 409 Sailboat start to delivery day sail B‬‏ - YouTube

Regards

Paulo

I saw the video 2 months ago so I have to take it from memory but basically he had only good things to say.

Regards,
Anders
Old 07-20-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Ive been looking at the Jeanneau 409 and it looks great. Only issue is the main being too far and theyve marketed this as great for shorthanded sailing. How do you work the traveler on this boat? Hope this isnt a stupid question.
Old 07-20-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capado View Post
Looking at your conclusions, I have to admit I am quite surprised. I guess I'll have to race the Fox 10.20, and see by myself how this goes. It could be interesting..... I guess I'll need new sails by the time I reach Sydney. :-)
Adrien is just amazing, Capucine too. They have literally build Fox 10.20 on their own. Take a look at how Capado is born... http://capado.over-blog.com/albums.html
Old 07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
Ive been looking at the Jeanneau 409 and it looks great. Only issue is the main being too far and theyve marketed this as great for shorthanded sailing. How do you work the traveler on this boat? Hope this isnt a stupid question.
There is no stupidity in wanting to be informed and in learning. That boat uses what is known as "German sheeting". Even if the traveler is over the cabin the control of the main is near the wheel. The lines are brought back.

I don't remember if the traveler control is over the cabin but the boom main control is near the wheel and that is what is really important in an emergency.

The reason the traveler is over the cabin is because that is the only set up that permits a big bimini and that is big plus while cruising, even while sailing, if you cruise in a place with warm climate as most do.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-20-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
Adrien is just amazing, Capucine too. They have literally build Fox 10.20 on their own. Take a look at how Capado is born... CAPADO creative boat
Not all of it. The Fox, as some similar French boats is offered in three versions:

All in kit or with the hull and superstructure made but not completely finished or as a finished boat. In their case they took the second option (as most of the guys that buy those boats) and just painted the hull finished the cabin and mounted the interior (that comes in kit).

Voiles et Voiliers : Essais et comparatifs - Fox 10.20 (Technologie Marine / Bertrand)

That gives a lot of work but permits huge savings on the boat. That way the boat complete with Vat (20%) and all costed them a bit more than 95 000€. They count to recover all that money selling the boat, that should worth at least that used, when they return.

Regards

Paulo
Old 07-20-2011

Some movies of big fast and beautiful boats 44/50ft:

First tests and movies on the XP 44

‪XP44 Video‬‏ - YouTube

‪Xp 44, video‬‏ - YouTube

On the Grand Soleil 50

‪Grand Soleil 50 - SoloVela test - la prova in mare‬‏ - YouTube

‪Grand Soleil 50‬‏ - YouTube

On the Comet 50

‪Comet 50 - La prova in mare di SoloVela‬‏ - YouTube

‪Presentazione del Comet 50 Verve - Onboard Magazine‬‏ - YouTube

On the Salona 44

‪Salona 44 - La prova in mare di SoloVela‬‏ - YouTube

‪Salona 44 - Il video degli interni di SoloVela‬‏ - YouTube

On the Solaris 44

‪Solaris ONE 44‬‏ - YouTube

‪Salona 44 Yacht & Sail Channel Video‬‏ - YouTube
Old 07-21-2011

Two of those boats have been nominated for this year boat of the year contest: The Grand Soleil 50 and the Xp 44. I thought that would be an easy win for the Xp before looking at the video and hearing what they say about the Grand Soleil 50. Howw, the Grand Soleil 50 seems to be also a great boat. The boat looks amazing, in fact it looks bigger than a 50ft boat.

The Xp44 is hard to beat in what regards performance but the Grand Soleil 50 has a great performance in a delightful ambiance (look at the size of that galley). They say the boat is very stiff and that with a smother character will make it probably a better performance cruiser if the emphasis is put in fast cruising. On the Xp 44 the emphasis is put more in racing even if the boat has a great cruising interior.

Let me join more two recent great boats on this size, a cruiser racer, the Sly 48 and a very interesting boat that joins a good performance with the unbeatable cruising convenience of a swing keel and reduced draft, the Southerly 49. The boat also offers a Deck Saloon.....but look how the Grand Soleil looks bigger, sharper and more beautiful with its 2.90m draft. Well, you cannot have everything

‪Sly 48 C test di Vanni Galgani su Barcheinvideo‬‏ - YouTube

‪Southerly 49‬‏ - YouTube

‪Southerly 49 - La prova in mare di SoloVela‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by PCP; 07-21-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-21-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
On the contrary, I think this is a very intelligent question!

I agree with Paulo that the possibility to fit a bimini is probably the most important reason why so many production boats have only a short traveler on the coach roof. Charterers want biminiís and charter companies are very important clients for mass production boatyards.

Otherwise it is really a pity, because modern sailplans reduce the foretriangle for easy handling, down to an little as 100% for self tacking jibs. So for a given sail area the mainsail becomes a lot bigger and efficient control is even more important.

Having the downhaul at hand to release it in case of emergency is a good thing. But to be able to master and trim a big mainsail, especially upwind, a performant traveler is essential. Unless you have a very powerful downhaul to control the leach and twist of the sail efficiently, which production boats almost never provide. In addition, the increasingly popular German sheeting system is not practical to respond quickly to puffs and lulls by means of the main sheet.

A traveler on the coachroof is completely out of hand, impossible to manage without using the winches and therefore almost never used. So I wonder why most builders even bother to fit itÖ

Best regards,

Eric