Interesting Sailboats - Page 134 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree1262Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1331  
Old 07-23-2011
JAndersB's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 467
Thanks: 6
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 4
JAndersB is on a distinguished road
One another thing I forgot in the Opium 39 review was that the engine size and poor performance under engine is not an issue since it seems to have been due to a too small prop. On my boat we put a bigger flex-o-fold on the standard 30 hp Yanmar and performance is great. 6,7 knots at 2500 rews and feeling like a planing motor boat at top speed 8 knots.

Regards,
Anders
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1332  
Old 07-23-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 218
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
And with that post and the previous I think the traveler subject is completely covered.
Hunter's arch mounted traveller deserves at least passing mention in this context.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1333  
Old 07-24-2011
EricKLYC's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 468
Thanks: 16
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 4
EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
One another thing I forgot in the Opium 39 review was that the engine size and poor performance under engine is not an issue since it seems to have been due to a too small prop. On my boat we put a bigger flex-o-fold on the standard 30 hp Yanmar and performance is great. 6,7 knots at 2500 rews and feeling like a planing motor boat at top speed 8 knots.

Regards,
Anders
I'm also very happy to hear that, Anders.
When sailing the Pogo 10.50 I was dissapointed about the performance under engine and I'm not shure this will be any better with the 12.50. Like your Opium, they are beamy and light displacement boats and may be they will also benefit from a bigger propeller.
I will certainly discuss this with the yard!

Best regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1334  
Old 07-26-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,446
Thanks: 22
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 8
rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. I miss Paulo's daily update of this thread. It must the starting of their summer vacation. I will look forward another update in two months. Those Europeans sure have a good life; we are the slaves of the world.
__________________

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1335  
Old 07-26-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
myocean is on a distinguished road
Meanwhile I am more and more drifting towards multihull. The Outremer 42 looks really attractive to me. A kind of Cat-Pogo, may be even faster, but with more comfort (more space) and even less draft (go closer to the beach).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1336  
Old 07-27-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
myocean is on a distinguished road
Look here
Outremer 42

Length: 13,10 m
Width: 7,00 m
Draft: 0, 70 - 2,30 m
Displacement: 7,1 / 9,4 T
Mast hight: 17.80 m
Main sail: 65 m2
Solent: 29 m2
Gennaker: 65 m2
Spinnaker: 98 m2

OK, this is certainly more pricey but I compare with an Pogo 12 .50 and I am seeing so much more comfort/space while the fun factor is probably the same.
Would be interesting to compare the polars.
Ulf
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-11560056.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-segelboot-kreuzer-outremer-fr-68124-outremer-42-mit-whisperprop-de-25-propulsion-eacutelectrique.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1337  
Old 07-27-2011
bjung's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Blue Ridge
Posts: 467
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
bjung is on a distinguished road
There are advantages to a multihull (fast, low draft, huge space, no heeling), but for me the disadvantages( higher marina cost, the possibility to break apart in heavy weather, not self righting ) outweigh the positives.
I'm not sure the Swedestar 370 has been mentioned before, but it should appeal to the performance oriented crowd.
‪The sexy Swedish Swedestar 370‬‏ - YouTube
Yacht Södergren
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1338  
Old 07-27-2011
Chimbatete's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
There are advantages to a multihull (fast, low draft, huge space, no heeling), but for me the disadvantages( higher marina cost, the possibility to break apart in heavy weather, not self righting ) outweigh the positives.
I'm not sure the Swedestar 370 has been mentioned before, but it should appeal to the performance oriented crowd.
‪The sexy Swedish Swedestar 370‬‏ - YouTube
Yacht Södergren
Its a very nice boat but very expensive. For that money I think from what Paulo has posted the Danes seem to have it right with the perfect package of high performance cruisers , X-Yachts, Luffe and the Dragonfly 35.

I think for anyone not crossing Oceans on a monthly basis, these are the perfect boats. Perfect for the lake round the buoy, long distance races, cruising and entertaining and beautiful at dock and still can go offshore if needed.
__________________
1974 CC 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1339  
Old 07-28-2011
bjung's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Blue Ridge
Posts: 467
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
bjung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
Its a very nice boat but very expensive. For that money I think from what Paulo has posted the Danes seem to have it right with the perfect package of high performance cruisers , X-Yachts, Luffe and the Dragonfly 35.

I think for anyone not crossing Oceans on a monthly basis, these are the perfect boats. Perfect for the lake round the buoy, long distance races, cruising and entertaining and beautiful at dock and still can go offshore if needed.
If you check , you will find the Swedestar is actually less expensive then X -Yachts and Luffe. The Dragonfly is not ocean worthy enough to be in that company, a lake sailor.
Compared with the XC 38, the Swedestar has 5000lbs. less displacement while carrying the same amout of canvas. You can bet it will be faster in light air, but will also have to be reefed early. Not exactly what I am looking for, but worthy of a mention. If I was buying a 37 some footer, it would be either HR372, Xc 38 or Regina 38.
http://www.x-yachts.com/uploads/xc_38review.pdf
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #1340  
Old 07-29-2011
Chimbatete's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
If you check , you will find the Swedestar is actually less expensive then X -Yachts and Luffe. The Dragonfly is not ocean worthy enough to be in that company, a lake sailor.
Compared with the XC 38, the Swedestar has 5000lbs. less displacement while carrying the same amout of canvas. You can bet it will be faster in light air, but will also have to be reefed early. Not exactly what I am looking for, but worthy of a mention. If I was buying a 37 some footer, it would be either HR372, Xc 38 or Regina 38.
http://www.x-yachts.com/uploads/xc_38review.pdf
I'm surprised that its less expensive because Swede boats are generally in the >$500k range for 40 footers.

I guess if I lived in the East or West Coast I would dream of the Malos and "relatively" fast cruisers like you mentioned. They are great boats. But for what I need it for and my sailing location a performance Cruiser would be perfect. Like the Luffe 40.04, even the Opium 39.

My typical summer week is 2 weeknight crewing on races, weekend cruising and ocassional crewing weekend Regattas. Now Id love to do long distance races within the Great Lakes as well.

So I have some perfect boats in mind for what I'm going to do. Theres two types for me, dream boats and most likely boats.

Dream boats are those I've mentioned in my prior post, X yachts xp line wouldn't be bad, Arconas etc.

Reality is even if I have the money, its unlikely to go into getting one of those. There is some achievable dream boats though like the Jeanneau 409,
First 30 but I'll have to wait for used ones.
__________________
1974 CC 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (0 members and 6 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising sailboats for sale welch Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 10 04-25-2012 05:20 PM
THE Yacht Builder List T37Chef Boat Review and Purchase Forum 26 07-08-2011 05:51 AM
Noob wonderings and questions about sailing, life at sail and sailboats Vans General Discussion (sailing related) 49 06-20-2011 12:18 AM
A List of ALL sailboats made with layouts? Myblueheaven Boat Review and Purchase Forum 8 10-08-2010 11:32 AM
Failure to Navigate - interesting post on Panbo Blog & from the NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 12-11-2006 06:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.