Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
One another thing I forgot in the Opium 39 review was that the engine size and poor performance under engine is not an issue since it seems to have been due to a too small prop. On my boat we put a bigger flex-o-fold on the standard 30 hp Yanmar and performance is great. 6,7 knots at 2500 rews and feeling like a planing motor boat at top speed 8 knots.

Regards,
Anders
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
And with that post and the previous I think the traveler subject is completely covered.
Hunter's arch mounted traveller deserves at least passing mention in this context.

Old 07-24-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
One another thing I forgot in the Opium 39 review was that the engine size and poor performance under engine is not an issue since it seems to have been due to a too small prop. On my boat we put a bigger flex-o-fold on the standard 30 hp Yanmar and performance is great. 6,7 knots at 2500 rews and feeling like a planing motor boat at top speed 8 knots.

Regards,
Anders
I'm also very happy to hear that, Anders.
When sailing the Pogo 10.50 I was dissapointed about the performance under engine and I'm not shure this will be any better with the 12.50. Like your Opium, they are beamy and light displacement boats and may be they will also benefit from a bigger propeller.
I will certainly discuss this with the yard!

Best regards,

Eric
Old 07-26-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. I miss Paulo's daily update of this thread. It must the starting of their summer vacation. I will look forward another update in two months. Those Europeans sure have a good life; we are the slaves of the world.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-26-2011

myocean is on a distinguished road
Meanwhile I am more and more drifting towards multihull. The Outremer 42 looks really attractive to me. A kind of Cat-Pogo, may be even faster, but with more comfort (more space) and even less draft (go closer to the beach).
Old 07-27-2011

myocean is on a distinguished road
Look here
Outremer 42

Length: 13,10 m
Width: 7,00 m
Draft: 0, 70 - 2,30 m
Displacement: 7,1 / 9,4 T
Mast hight: 17.80 m
Main sail: 65 m2
Solent: 29 m2
Gennaker: 65 m2
Spinnaker: 98 m2

OK, this is certainly more pricey but I compare with an Pogo 12 .50 and I am seeing so much more comfort/space while the fun factor is probably the same.
Would be interesting to compare the polars.
Ulf
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-11560056.jpg   Interesting Sailboats-segelboot-kreuzer-outremer-fr-68124-outremer-42-mit-whisperprop-de-25-propulsion-eacutelectrique.jpg  
Old 07-27-2011

bjung is on a distinguished road
There are advantages to a multihull (fast, low draft, huge space, no heeling), but for me the disadvantages( higher marina cost, the possibility to break apart in heavy weather, not self righting ) outweigh the positives.
I'm not sure the Swedestar 370 has been mentioned before, but it should appeal to the performance oriented crowd.
‪The sexy Swedish Swedestar 370‬‏ - YouTube
Yacht Södergren
Old 07-27-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
There are advantages to a multihull (fast, low draft, huge space, no heeling), but for me the disadvantages( higher marina cost, the possibility to break apart in heavy weather, not self righting ) outweigh the positives.
I'm not sure the Swedestar 370 has been mentioned before, but it should appeal to the performance oriented crowd.
‪The sexy Swedish Swedestar 370‬‏ - YouTube
Yacht Södergren
Its a very nice boat but very expensive. For that money I think from what Paulo has posted the Danes seem to have it right with the perfect package of high performance cruisers , X-Yachts, Luffe and the Dragonfly 35.

I think for anyone not crossing Oceans on a monthly basis, these are the perfect boats. Perfect for the lake round the buoy, long distance races, cruising and entertaining and beautiful at dock and still can go offshore if needed.
Old 07-28-2011

bjung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
Its a very nice boat but very expensive. For that money I think from what Paulo has posted the Danes seem to have it right with the perfect package of high performance cruisers , X-Yachts, Luffe and the Dragonfly 35.

I think for anyone not crossing Oceans on a monthly basis, these are the perfect boats. Perfect for the lake round the buoy, long distance races, cruising and entertaining and beautiful at dock and still can go offshore if needed.
If you check , you will find the Swedestar is actually less expensive then X -Yachts and Luffe. The Dragonfly is not ocean worthy enough to be in that company, a lake sailor.
Compared with the XC 38, the Swedestar has 5000lbs. less displacement while carrying the same amout of canvas. You can bet it will be faster in light air, but will also have to be reefed early. Not exactly what I am looking for, but worthy of a mention. If I was buying a 37 some footer, it would be either HR372, Xc 38 or Regina 38.
http://www.x-yachts.com/uploads/xc_38review.pdf
Old 07-29-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
If you check , you will find the Swedestar is actually less expensive then X -Yachts and Luffe. The Dragonfly is not ocean worthy enough to be in that company, a lake sailor.
Compared with the XC 38, the Swedestar has 5000lbs. less displacement while carrying the same amout of canvas. You can bet it will be faster in light air, but will also have to be reefed early. Not exactly what I am looking for, but worthy of a mention. If I was buying a 37 some footer, it would be either HR372, Xc 38 or Regina 38.
http://www.x-yachts.com/uploads/xc_38review.pdf
I'm surprised that its less expensive because Swede boats are generally in the >$500k range for 40 footers.

I guess if I lived in the East or West Coast I would dream of the Malos and "relatively" fast cruisers like you mentioned. They are great boats. But for what I need it for and my sailing location a performance Cruiser would be perfect. Like the Luffe 40.04, even the Opium 39.

My typical summer week is 2 weeknight crewing on races, weekend cruising and ocassional crewing weekend Regattas. Now Id love to do long distance races within the Great Lakes as well.

So I have some perfect boats in mind for what I'm going to do. Theres two types for me, dream boats and most likely boats.

Dream boats are those I've mentioned in my prior post, X yachts xp line wouldn't be bad, Arconas etc.

Reality is even if I have the money, its unlikely to go into getting one of those. There is some achievable dream boats though like the Jeanneau 409,
First 30 but I'll have to wait for used ones.