Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
Meanwhile I am more and more drifting towards multihull. The Outremer 42 looks really attractive to me. A kind of Cat-Pogo, may be even faster, but with more comfort (more space) and even less draft (go closer to the beach).
Comparing monohulls with multihulls is of course quite tricky, but it certainly is an excellent exercise to value different characteristics.
In this perspective I think Ulf makes a very good point by presenting a definitely performance orientated catamaran against a monohull with somewhat multihull-like characteristics.

Both are light and built in composite materials, the Outremer with dagger boards and the Pogo with a deep and slender pivoting keel.
Unfortunately, I do not know the polars of either of these boats. But both will probably very much dislike to be loaded the way liveaboards would want to.
Otherwise they should perform very well, especially downwind and even compared to most of their mono- or multihull concurrents. But the Pogo can carry a much bigger asymmetric spinnaker and has less weight, so it should at least be able to keep up with the catamaran. And I also think almost any monohull must be more rewarding at the helm than almost any catamaran.

Although the Pogo certainly isnít the most performant monohull upwind and while the Outremer will probably beat most other catamarans, there seems to be little doubt that the VMG of the monohull will be better.
Anyone who has ever experienced two hulls, intimately tied together and trying to overcome the same seas at an angle, will agree that this quickly results in a quite chaotic and unpredictable behavior. The always massive coachroof with little or no forward view for anyone but the helmsman also does not help to make the crew feel comfortable in these situations. Therefore some might prefer the sound heel and clear view of a monohull.

Even below decks both yachts share the same philosophy, with interiors that offer all the basics but that are further kept as simple as possible to save weight and avoid unnecessary trouble and maintenance.
The Outremer 42 has limited space inside compared to more cruising oriented catamarans, but is still much more roomy than even the most generous monohull. The Pogo 12.50 has much more space in- and outside than almost any other monohull of comparable size, but can never compete with the Outremer in this prospect. At anchor, nothing beats the trampoline of a catamaran, the panoramic saloon, the huge and sheltered cockpit, the handling of the tender. And with two engines wide apart, you can hardly miss any maneuver.

Although the Pogo is not cheap and he Outremer is considered good value for money, building a catamaran will always involve more hardware and inevitably be more expensive. Of course the same goes for berthing costs.

So both yachts share the same concept of performance, simplicity and building quality.
Apart from financial considerations, liveaboards and blue water cruisers have very good reasons to prefer a catamaran. It seems this Outremer will give them excellent sailing performance and at anchor any catamaran will make you feel in paradise.
But once a sound degree of heel is accepted, I think the monohull will be faster in almost any condition and more rewarding to sail.
There probably are no bad choices, only personal ones. I perfectly understand your dilemma, Ulf!

Best regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2011

Boatinglifeaway is on a distinguished road
I am really glad that companies do look to the real boating or sailing experts--the users--for input on what they make. Great job.
Old 08-05-2011

myocean is on a distinguished road
I just learned that the Outremer 42 is not built anymore. Sad. The last one has been build in 2007. It is unclear what will replace it.
Old 08-05-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myocean View Post
I just learned that the Outremer 42 is not built anymore. Sad. The last one has been build in 2007. It is unclear what will replace it.
I think they still build them, Ulf.
Outremer advertises the yacht on their website Catamaran Outremer - Nos Catamarans - Outremer 42
and through brokers 2011 Outremer 42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 08-07-2011

myocean is on a distinguished road
Hi Paulo!
Well, you are at an extreme location in absolute peak season... And don't you think there is may be still a place for a 70 cm draft ship?
About the Outremer 42 availabilty: Its strage but in spite of their website they say the "... the moulds are too old now, and also this boat is too old-fashion compared to the demand. Since Xavier Desmarest bought the company he decided not to sell 42 anymore..."
Ulf
Old 08-12-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Finally the Salona 38 is on the water. It looks as good as it looked in the drawings and that's a good sign

At the end of this month I will be at the shipyard to have a good look at it
Old 08-16-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
That's some serious company there PCP! Looks like a nice place. Haven't been there but will head out to Corsica for 2 weeks on a SO 36i saturday and it looks like the weather will suit us well. I know, not a rocket, but the boat looks clean in Ajaccio and the Pogo guys in the Med only rent with a skipper....

Next time either Baleares or Croatia with friends, then family for a 10-14 day cruise - I'm thinking Croatia first, then Balťares....?

Keep us posted on the Salona. I'm heading to Structures end September to sea trial the 10.50 and see what it's like under sail. Checkbook in hand...
Old 08-29-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
A small remark.

In the last issue of german Yacht there is an article about chartering from out of Marseille. The boat they are chartering is an Wauquiez Opium 39 and it is the first time I read an article about chartering where the text is more about the boat than the trip. Among other things the crew refused to stop for bathing in some nice bays and instead wanted to continue sailing, but concluded that it will mean some long beatings going back. Article ended with a conlusion that the beating back was also a joy at 8,5 knots.

I can only agree as owner of hull #11.

Regards,
Anders
Old 08-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWhy View Post
Hunter's arch mounted traveller deserves at least passing mention in this context.

Well, a bit late for me to reply...(I was away) but yes you are right. Arch mounted travelers are also to be considered as a different type. The first ones I saw were on Malos that use them for several decades and now many boats including Hunters and Benetaus use them.

I cannot speak for them because I have never used one but if well made it seems that they could be a good option for the short crew in what regards the use from the steering wheel place.

The line system has to be a bit complicated and probably with a bit friction but they can be used while sailing with a big bimini and that is a big plus. However if the lines get jammed on top with the bimini on it seems that would not be easy to get there to clear things away.

Someone has experience with them?

Regards

Paulo
Old 08-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
If you check , you will find the Swedestar is actually less expensive then X -Yachts and Luffe. The Dragonfly is not ocean worthy enough to be in that company, a lake sailor.
I would not call the Dragonfly 35 a lake sailor. They are stronger than the Corsair and I have already see a C27 that had circumnavigated. The Dragonflies are used mostly on Oceans and many well offshore. There was one for sail on the Caribbeans (sold quickly).

Like all good fast and demanding boats I would say they are a sailor's boat.

Well crewed it will go anywhere (even solo) but they will not be as forgiving as an Halberg-Rassy and should not be put in the hands of inexperienced sailors, at least offshore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Deli...ure=grec_index

That's a smaller one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3knz...eature=related

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 08-29-2011 at 11:07 AM.