Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
As I was in Croatia for chartering a boat I pick the opportunity to went (again) at the Salona shipyard to have a look at the new 38. I will post some photos and comments about it specially because I was lucky and could pick a test sail on the water (it was booked for some Italian clients and I went along with them).

For the ones that don't know the Salona shipyard is in Solin that today is just a continuation of Split. Salona was a Roman city (today Solin) and the boat name is a tribute to that city.

The Salona 38 is a nice and sleek boat:

And is made with care by enthusiastic people. Last time I met and talked with the shipyard director and the resident architect (on holidays this time), this time I met Nenad, the Sales director (I had already met him on boat shows and exchanged some emails). Nenad is much more than a Sales director and is all the time thinking in ways to improve the boats and since it is the one that has more contact with the buyers, that are most of the time experienced sailors, he listen to what they have to say so he has always a handful of good ideas on the verge of becoming reality.

Funny thing, if you talk with the guys from Bennetau or Jeanneau they will take a lot of work explaining why the things you want cannot be made. On Salona they hear you with attention and if you make sense they just end up doing what you want and improving the boat.

Some pictures of the test sail and I start with this one taken when we were going out of marina Kastela: Do you recognize the boat on the background?

Yes, it is the Wally!!! We were waiting for him to open up the engines (16,800hp) to see it flying at 60K but it seems that the crisis have reached everybody and they have not the budget for fuel (that thing at speed wastes as much as a commercial jet).

The 118 WallyPower - a fast pleasure Yacht Onboard with OPC

Wally

Some more photos:

About the test sail it was very impressive in what regards sailing without almost no wind and that is one of the reasons I want a Salona. There were virtually no wind but the girl that come with us (a regatta sailor) just motored some 2 miles in direction of the Islands in front and soon we had some weak thermic wind: 2 to 4.5K and that is enough to glide 1K over wind speed.

We had good sails ( the optional cruising carbon sails that you can see on a previous post - same boat) but did not even had a genoa, just a small front gib. Best speed approached 6K and that was truly remarkable for the conditions. Most of the time we were between 4 and 5.5K. With a code 0 we would be sailing well over 6K. That was what I was expecting but sometimes you get disappointed...not this time

Regarding the other boat characteristics I would say that the most remarkable is the size of the central storage space (between the wheels). Trully outstanding. I believe that you can put there the big six fenders and still have space. That gives two more side lockers on the outside and a dedicated gas storage space for two bottles. That is enough for me in what regards outside storage and I could have the three cabin version if the head was not so small. Well I am a big guy, perhaps a smaller guy could live with that but not me).

The lateral passage space is good and the boat was equipped with very good hardware that really worked well. The winch for the main is really near the wheel and that makes the boat easy to sail solo.

The interior quality has improved as well as the storage spaces that are very well detailed. They have a very nice teak option that with the port hulls give it a very nice ambiance. They also have an optional second cooler (a vertical one) that we have tried on the 41 and that contrary to what I expected is a very good idea: You can control better your electric consumption (one or two working) and the little one is much more cooler than the big one making it ideal for really cold beer. It has also a small freezer that can take some fish or meat.

Normally the boats look better in the pictures but I have to say that with this one is just the opposite. I really liked what I saw, including the strong interior stainless still structure and I am very tempted for this boat.

I had asked for some minor alterations and they really try to comply with the client needs. I have asked for a big one, that makes a lot of sense to me, specially in a 38ft cruising boat that will be sailed solo offshore: more ballast and a different keel, one not designed to beat handicaps but for efficiency.

Basically I want a true torpedo keel on the end of a narrow keel and about more 250kg/300kg of ballast. The extra ballast is basically to dispense with the guys on the rail and to make it stiffer and more able to carry sail with stronger winds without reefing. If they can make that without increasing the price too much, I think this will be the one.

I will know about that soon.

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 08-29-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Hi Paulo,

Just went to my first boat show. Loved the SO409, what a boat!. It had a sail away price of $250k. I looked at the First 30 ($150k) and it was great boat as well. Only thing is it didnt have a backstay. There was also a Hanse dealer which had the 400 ($250k) on display and he was almost insinuating that it was a better boat than the 409He mentioned the chines of the 409 as silly since its not a planing boat.

Another question, why is the Opium 39 selling at $350k almost the same price as a 2010 Luffe 4004 with the carbon mast ($400k). Is the Opium that good?

How does it compare to the X's, Elans and Salona 38 for example? I'm talking about quality boat for boat not downwind vs. upwind.

BTW that Salona 38 looks awesome. Whats the price on that?

Chuck

Last edited by Chimbatete; 08-29-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
Hi Paulo,

Just went to my first boat show. Loved the SO409, what a boat!. It had a sail away price of $250k. I looked at the First 30 ($150k) and it was great boat as well. Only thing is it didnt have a backstay. There was also a Hanse dealer which had the 400 ($250k) on display and he was almost insinuating that it was a better boat than the 409He mentioned the chines of the 409 as silly since its not a planing boat.

Another question, why is the Opium 39 selling at $350k almost the same price as a 2010 Luffe 4004 with the carbon mast ($400k). Is the Opium that good?

How does it compare to the X's, Elans and Salona 38 for example? I'm talking about quality boat for boat not downwind vs. upwind.

BTW that Salona 38 looks awesome. Whats the price on that?

Chuck
Hi Chimbatete,

It seems you do really like boats

Yes boat shows are great for the ones that love boats even when they don't have money to buy them right now. If you ever get the chance go to Dusseldorf, that's the Mecca of sailboats and also a nice place to have a look at central Europe.

So many questions. Yes the Opium is a Wauquiez and they were for many years the top range of the Benetau group, a kind of a Lexus to Nissan. Yes the Opium is a great boat and the quality is better than Benetau, Jeanneau, Hanse, Bavaria probably comparable to Dehler.

There is something wrong with your prices, a Carbon mast Luffe 4004 will cost more than what you say. Here you have an used one without carbon mast almost by that price:

For Sale. Luffe (DK) Luffe 40.04 TOP - Rostock Baltic Sea, Germany - 3126320

I believe the Jeanneau 409 is a better boat than the Hanse 400, not in quality (similar) but by design. I bet Hanse is going to substitute the 400 this year.

Regarding X yachts, Salona and Elan I would say that the X yachts by price and interior quality are competing with Luffe, Arcona, Finngulf not with Salona or Elan. However there are a lot of guys that had X yachts and are buying Salonas. They are less expensive have much improved the interior and share with X yachts (and Luffe) an interior steel frame to take the efforts from the keel and shrouds (now it seems that X yachts is using a carbon frame).

The Elan are great boats and the design is very good (350) are well built but for what I have saw in the new Salona 41 that I have charted, the Salona interior is now a bit better and I would prefer the safety of the Salona stainless steel frame. But Elan and Salona are really on the same market building boats that in my opinion are a bit better than mass production boats.

Another difference with Salona is that they allow a certain amount of boat customization and that is very rare in boats with this price and only possible because Salona is still a small company. Salonas will cost about the same as Elans, about 20% less than a Dehler and about 20% more than a First.

Final note: The First 30 is a great boat and it has no backstay because it is designed that way and don't need one. Some other performance boats like the Pogo don't also have them.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 08-30-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2011

I had already said that I didn't like the drawings for the Dehler 41 interior. They seemed to be designed by the team that designs the Hanse (Dehler belongs now to Hanse) and they are far away in quality from the best Italian and French interior designers.

Well, my fears were confirmed, they finally posted the photos from the interior (a looong way after they have posted the outside photos), they changed some things regarding the drawings but the interior is still very poor, dark, Hanse like and unimaginative. To put things even worse they have hull portlights on the cabins but not on the saloon. That makes no sense at all and contributes to that gloomy interior. The mast is almost on the middle of the saloon. If they really need the mast there they should have gone for another type of mast, I mean deck stepped, except on racing boats were the interior does not matter so much.

A sad story: How to ruin a very nice sailing boat with a really bad interior. I had some months back a good offer to buy a Hanse 41 when the boat was still in the making....Jesus, I am happy to have gone another way

They had lowered the prices of the 41, comparing with the 39 but the interior seems to be of lower quality and mainly the interior design sucks!!!

A bad move to have the interior designed by the Hanse team. The best French and Italian designers are so much better that makes no sense to stay with the home team. They need a good interior designer and they needed it quickly.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 08-31-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey PCP - a while back you highlighted a cruising boat that a racer had designed...along the lines of the Open style. It had a crazy rotating nav station. What boat was that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-31-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey PCP - a while back you highlighted a cruising boat that a racer had designed...along the lines of the Open style. It had a crazy rotating nav station. What boat was that?
It was this, I guess:
http://www.jpdick-yachts.com/index.php?lang=EN

Furthermore, I had a look at both the Dehler 41 and new Arcona 410 this last weekend at the open yard show at Hallberg-Rassy. I agree with you Paulo, the Dehler 41 did not give any nice vibrations. Furthermore, to lead the jib sheet through a bulls eye in the middle of the side deck, making at least a 40 degree bend without any roller bearings or block seems crazy to me. The Arcona did also feel "old fashion".

The Jeanneau 409, which I have seen before, still is a real show winner. With double rudders and a little bit of "performance" in her it would definitively be interesting.

Regarding pricing and Opium price I am still finding out all the time from my boat why it has a higher price. Arriwing back at home harbour I tried to close the toilet water intake. I had to follow the piping through the whole interior before I found it in the middle of the boat just behind the keel even if toilet is on the port sider in the front. This way it does not suck air on a beat. Full balsa hull and sandwich interior, oversized and plenty of deck gear, I still have a bag full of top of the line Harken gear that was left over, are other things that push the price up even if I agree that it is expensive.

Regards,
Anders
Old 08-31-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Paulo,
I was on a Salona 39 at the recent Sydney boat show and I confess the quality of the interior appointments disappointed me. Now the Sydney Boat Show is a piss poor event in the main. The usual suspects are there of course but there is very little beyond your typical production cruiser racer. I expected the Salona to stand out from the crowd. It didn't.

Cheers
Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo,
I was on a Salona 39 at the recent Sydney boat show and I confess the quality of the interior appointments disappointed me. Now the Sydney Boat Show is a piss poor event in the main. The usual suspects are there of course but there is very little beyond your typical production cruiser racer. I expected the Salona to stand out from the crowd. It didn't.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrews there is some confusion here: The Salona has not a 39. It has a 34 a 38 a 41 a 44 and it will have a 60.

Home - Salona Yachts

You could have seen an old 37 (I sailed the first 38 some days back in Croatia and the boat is going to Cannes boat show) or perhaps a 41?

Salona has a stupid politic in what regards boat shows: While all the others big brands show brand new boats Salona show demo boats that show some use and furthermore they don't put the boats in tip top shape, I mean regarding adjusting cabinet doors drawers, that sort of stuff furthermore and even more important while big companies have a very professional approach in what regards interior and exterior lighting of the boat (more lightening that the one used on the boat interior and outside projectors giving more interior illumination) they just present the boat with its own illumination and without having projectors helping. I don't need to tell you the importance of lightening on a boat presentation. Maybe they have not the means to do otherwise.

I have already noticed this on several boat shows and have even told them that they should improve the presentation of their boats on boat shows and improve lighting.

What I can tell you for sure is that I have charted last year a brand new Dufour 425 and this year a brand new Salona 41. The Dufour are the more expensive and better finished of all French mass production sail boats and I can tell you that without any doubt the Salona 41 was not only better finished but had also better quality material everywhere, I mean from the cabinet lockers to the door knobs. At least that is my opinion after sailing both boats for at least a week.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 08-31-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Anders,

Funny thing about your comment re the 409 and a bit of performance. Three of us on the Jeanneau-owners.com forum site, were all saying a bit more power, ie about a meter taller mast, deeper keel or a iron/lead option, upgraded winches both on the deck and cabin top, with 2 sets of winches on the deck for HS and spins. Probably slightly deeper thinner rudders, 3 reef ability on the main to name a few things we all thought would be good to have, ie a super performance over the std P version, which really only has a folding prop, upgraded deck gear and spin option. If one is going to upgrade, lets do a serious UPGRADE to the PERFORMANCE of the boat!

I have not seen one yet.....there is a boat show in Seattle in a couple of weeks, hopefully will have a chance to gander at the 409 and 379.

marty
Old 08-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey Smack, Anders is right, it is the JP 52. I posted about it on post 172 and I believe someone talked about the boat more recently.

Interesting Sailboats

Regards

Paulo