Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Elan 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Wow..compared with Sydney that is magnificent.

Allures 40 would do me.....

Actually I don't really care for a lifting keel. Yes they have their attractions in some places but I think I'd prefer the simplicity of fixed. As long as the draft is kept to and absolute maximum of 2.2 and preferably 2.0.
Yes I agree, even if a non ballasted keel, like the ones on Allures or OVNI would not be a big problem. Now, the ones from Pogo, Opium or Southerlies, with tons of ballast swinging.....they work and are fine, but they are going to need maintenance, sooner or later and it is not going to be cheap.

If you are comfortable with a 2m draft you should look better to the Elan 380 and I say 380 and not 410 because the 210 costs already about 200 000 euros, fully equipped and without VAT (they advertise 160 000, but the cost of a decent boat is far more). The 380 costs about 160 000 (equipped) and it has a 2,05m draft.

It is a beautiful and fast boat with a cozy interior (forget about the red. Look at the colors on the 410. The 410 has a perfect interior, at least for my needs). Kind of minimum space requirements for my wife but I believe that she accepts that one because the interior is so comfortable.

ELAN Marine - Sail - Sail Yachts

Four days from now, I will be test sailing one, in Slovenia

PS.

My last post (for now , I hope).

I am going cruising for a month. Take good care of this thread and make it yours (all of you that has been posting here). Please, post at will. I will look at it, from time to time, when I find a Bar with internet and that is going to be rare cause I like to anchor on nice places, when I am not sailing and I like to sail.

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Have a good trip Paulo,

something I wish I could do right now too!

Marty
Old 08-05-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
My last post (for now , I hope).

I am going cruising for a month. Take good care of this thread and make it yours (all of you that has been posting here). Please, post at will. I will look at it, from time to time, when I find a Bar with internet and that is going to be rare cause I like to anchor on nice places, when I am not sailing and I like to sail.
Well enjoy yourselves. Hopefully we'll get to see some pretty pictures when you return.

Cheers

Andrew

Hey Marty....we'd better pull up our socks while he's away and make sure we keep the thread alive....

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-05-2010
Self Grandizing Egotist

SeanRW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hey Marty....we'd better pull up our socks while he's away and make sure we keep the thread alive....
Socks ? You heathen....what kinda cruising sailor are you ? Bare foot or at the very least some overpriced, totally unsuitable but thoroughly fashionable boat shoes you found advertised in the latest issue of "Boating Vogue"

Seriously, I want to hear more about the Pogo or the Puffins.
Don't get me wrong, a lot of the other vessels mentioned here are absolutely gorgeous but those two have really caught my eye.
Old 08-05-2010

Socks?!?!? I'm wearing a pair right now with my Keen sandles no less. That should really get on in trouble eh! Do that all the time here n Washington, that is the in thing, sailing or not!

Marty
Old 08-05-2010
Self Grandizing Egotist

Seriously,

Paulo had earlier introduced a few of us to the Cigale, a French aluminium racer/cruiser that featured some serious chines and a salon in the stern of the vessel.

Well, Alubat make a few other very interesting (IMO) vessels, specifically the OVNI lineup. I don't know what it is about these vessels that I find the most intriguing but overall they seem to offer a huge number of fantastic features.

- The interiors have a functional, purposeful look to them without any of the added "bling"
- The lifting keel (though hated by some) allows for shallow waters or even beaching
- If you crunch some of the numbers they appear impressive (SA/D 21.5, B/D 36%, DLR 162)
- A price that while out of reach for some is certainly comparable to some of the cruisers featured in this thread

Ovni 495 < Gamme Ovni < Les Gammes

2009 alubat OVNI 495 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Comments anyone ?

SRW

Last edited by SeanRW; 08-05-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2010
Self Grandizing Egotist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Socks?!?!? I'm wearing a pair right now with my Keen sandles no less. That should really get on in trouble eh! Do that all the time here n Washington, that is the in thing, sailing or not!

Marty
BAH...I know all about you Tree Huggers in the North West....I used to live in Vancouver and had to deal with the Birkenstock, Granola, Latte types all the time...But you have got some wonderful sailing waters...so I'll put up with yer oddball fashion sense.
Old 08-05-2010

myocean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRW View Post

(...) Alubat make a few other very interesting (IMO) vessels, (...)

Comments anyone ?

SRW
For me
there is a lack of speed for the Ovni and the Cigalle has no lifting keel, does it?

However - for serious long distance sailing, e.g. a circumnavigation, may be a Pogo is not robust enough? What about loosing lightweight rudders at high speed due to drifting objects like turtles or so? And will a carbon mast be as reliable and forgiving like a more conventional one?
Old 08-05-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post

Marty
Marty , I am not going there OK ? The very thought gives me the horrors.

SeanRW....I'll give some more on Puffin next week OK ? Its Friday afternoon down here and its about time I replaced this desk and keyboard with a bar and cold beer. Then I'm off to the boat for the weekend.

MyOcean....Ovni too slow ? You're a hard man to please, they'd be well fast enough for me and as for the Cigalle I don't need no leefting keel.
I realise it could come in handy sometime but in general I'm afraid I don't think they warrant the expense and possible maintenance hassles.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRW View Post
BAH...I know all about you Tree Huggers in the North West....I used to live in Vancouver and had to deal with the Birkenstock, Granola, Latte types all the time...But you have got some wonderful sailing waters...so I'll put up with yer oddball fashion sense.
Excuse me?!?!?! Birkenstocks? latte's? Granola? Don't know what you are talking about. Latte's? is that anything like tea or hot chocolate? Birkenstocks? I believe that is a gun of some sort, like maybe the wood handle thingy that goes in the arm pit.......granola, unfortunately, from my boy sprout hiking days, I know of this, but I try not to eat too much, as I am allergic to oatmeal! I will admit to being born on Pill Hill in Seattle, above Charbucks HQ, which was a sears building at one time. Tulleys as I recall is down there in the old Rainer brewery. Two great building of old, not some drink type establishments that taste absolutely horrible!