Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Hi Anders,

I cannot open the last video

While we wait, take a look at this one about the Rolex series. Be patient, the better part is not the beginning

t2p.tv's Rolex Big Boat Series 2011 Music Video - YouTube

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2011

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Nice pics, looked rather expensive though. But if you want that kind of speed you really need a max gennaker and to fly it at high wind speeds..

Video link works fine for me and my friends that I checked with. Perhaps you need a faster computer for Opium boat speed

Anders
Old 09-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
Nice pics, looked rather expensive though. But if you want that kind of speed you really need a max gennaker and to fly it at high wind speeds..

Video link works fine for me and my friends that I checked with. Perhaps you need a faster computer for Opium boat speed

Anders
Yes, I agree, I was not comparing.

I have just post the video because It has great images and great boats.

I would say that you not only you would have need a bigger geenaker (or spinnaker) but also a racing crew or be a really top racing solo sailor and even so you would be taking risks. On those images they are not controlling the boat all the time. Sometimes the boat is controlling them

Take a look at these guys:

t2p.tv at 2011 Rolex Big Boat Series SERIOUS WIPE OUT - YouTube

Or these on what seems to be an A40:

2011 ROLEX BIG BOAT SERIES-- IRC BOAT GYBE AND BROACH - YouTube

By the way, great boat stability. Look how the boat recovers even with a lot of wind and that big sail pulling it down.

Maybe you are right, I am at the beach house and I have a slow internet connection but I can see the first video and I can't see the last.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 09-20-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2011

CKDexterHaven is on a distinguished road
Second boat is an A35. In the IRC C division, a J/125 took advantage of the strong wind conditions to sweep all seven races. They're calling for a new production run of that model on the SA J boat forum thanks to that.
Old 09-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKDexterHaven View Post
Second boat is an A35. In the IRC C division, a J/125 took advantage of the strong wind conditions to sweep all seven races. They're calling for a new production run of that model on the SA J boat forum thanks to that.
Thanks and welcome, I had doubts between a A35 and a A40.

I don't know very well the J125 but it looks much more a racing boat and less a cruiser-racer if compared with the J 122 the A35 or the A40 that have a much better cruising interior.

That seems more like a bigger and "older" J111. I guess that if they are going to make a better racer they will do another boat on the lines of the 111 and not a new production run.

But those results are interesting. Can you post a link to them?

Regards

Paulo
Old 09-21-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

Without going back a few pages. The Salona 38 is your current choice of boat for you is it not? well any way, Bob Perry does a review of that boat in the Oct issue of Sailing. sailingmagazine.net I doubt it will be online until oct 1 or a bit after. I got in via subscription the other day.

Marty
Old 09-21-2011

CKDexterHaven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Thanks and welcome, I had doubts between a A35 and a A40.

But those results are interesting. Can you post a link to them?

Regards

Paulo
Full results from the 2011 Big Boat Series:
Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program

Youíll see that the conditions really favored the J/125; they took the top four spots in their division. I think Double Trouble had the best crew, which is one thing that comes out of this interview with the owner/skipper:

J/News Articles: J/125 Double Trouble- Andy Costello Interview

They beat a brand new Farr 400. The Farr proponents will point to its newness and lack of familiarity on the part of her crew as reasons for less than optimal results. Interesting that a design over a decade old can still work well, given the right conditions. From the above interview it sounds like the Farr was faster upwind but incapable of matching the Jís downwind speeds.

One look at the interior of the J/125 and you know itís no cruiser. As J Boats own marketing copy put it: ďThe J/125 makes little pretense of being a cruising boat, more of a fast daysailer with overnight capability.Ē

The 111 is more of a cruiser, although its interior has a lot of the clorox bottle itself.
Old 09-21-2011

The new AC45 are interesting boats with lots of new technologies and can race with more wind than the old monohull cup boats but I am not sure if the boats should not be modified to give them more stability.

The races are beginning to look like a circus. This video is not a collection of all capsizes with AC45, just the ones on the last race in Plymouth:

The Plymouth Capsize Club 2 - Another smashing Sunday! - YouTube

What do you think?
Old 09-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Paulo,

Without going back a few pages. The Salona 38 is your current choice of boat for you is it not? well any way, Bob Perry does a review of that boat in the Oct issue of Sailing. sailingmagazine.net I doubt it will be online until oct 1 or a bit after. I got in via subscription the other day.

Marty
Well Marty what about that review? It cannot be that long because he made the review of the Salona 37 (that has practically the same hull) and besides describing the boat he had said not much:

"The trick with any new production model is to design it so that it appeals to the widest segment of the market. Ideally, this means the line between racer and cruiser becomes blurred and the accommodation plan includes enough options so that the boat’s interior will be suitable and adaptable to the biggest number of potential buyers. In short, the designer has to eliminate the “if onlys” at the design stage. This new Salona 37 was designed by J&J Design to meet such criteria.

The heart of this design is that there are four layouts available....In any of the configurations, it’s a lot of interior for a 37-foot boat.

....With its variety of interior options, all-around good looks and clearly well-thought-out deck arrangement I think this boat would make a versatile cruiser."

Salona 37

Besides a description of the boat this is what Perry says about the boat design and it would be difficult to say more without even looking at the boat, not to mention sailing it. However he doesn't refer, in what regards construction, the stainless steel grid to distribute the keel and shrouds forces by all the hull and also the boat being built with a vacuum injection system with epoxy derived resins, both important items in what regards solidity and weight.

When I said that probably I would not agree with him in what regards concepts, taking into account he is a great NA but a bit conservative for my tastes, I was referring to things as beam.

He says that this boat is beamy, with a L/B of 3.13. He is not saying that it is good or bad, just stating it.

What we consider beamy is a relative concept. For example if we take as standard the beam of a sailboat built in the 30's, all boats from the 60's are beamy. If we take as standard the beam of a sailboat from the 60's, all modern boats are beamy.

In my opinion when someone says referring to a new boat that the boat is beamy it makes no sense referring as standard the beam of the sailboats of another era, but today's sailing boats.

If we look at the Salona 37 beam taking has reference today designs, the boat cannot be called beamy, on the contrary, it has less beam than the average of modern sailboats of that size. Take a look:

The Salona 37 beam is:3.60m

Some other boats : Xp38 -3.70; Elan 37 - 3.65; Benetau 37 - 3.91; Hanse 375 -3.76 Jeanneau 379 - 3.76; Dufour 375 - 3.85; Pogo 10.50 (35ft) - 3.90; RM 1060 (36ft) -3.99; First 35 - 3.64; Arcona 370 - 3.60; Bavaria 36 - 3.92.

Sure, we can find less beamier boats on the market like the Luffe 37 but they are clearly a very small minority and would to have to be called by today parameters narrow boats.

I don't think that the Salona 37 (or the 38) should be described as beamy. I would have described it as having a moderate beam

Regarding all the rest I agree with Bob Perry. Off course the 38 has almost the same hull but has an much better cockpit, a better interior and more storage space on the cockpit. It is also a better looking boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 09-22-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2011

Take a look at this boat, it is a different one and I guess you can see clearly why

This is a racing boat, supposedly a very fast sailboat, a Mini 6.50 class sailboat.

Now, you should be thinking: This is not an interesting boat, this is just a very ugly and crazy boat. That bow, or the lack of it can never work. Crazy Idea!!!

That would not be far from what I have thought when I saw pictures of this boat a year ago, or so.

But now...the boat has won against all competition one important mini-class race, the Transgascogne and is one of the favorites for the Transat

Focus sur les ministes Thomas Normand et David Raison - YouTube

Transgascogne 6.50 - Edition 2011

Well, certainly it is ugly but is also interesting The mini are one of the open classes with more innovative boats ant this one is no exception.

The skipper is not only the designer but also the builder:

David Raison

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.