Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
I read about that boat last year as well - the designer got the idea off the lake boats with the skiff like bow.

It planes much earlier (faster) but is a bit of a handful upwind. Great "one design / one purpose boat" and I'm sure some iterations of the hull will eventually flow downstream to more broad designs. I think you could see some "convertable" designs with a bow "keel" that could come down while upwind and up while downwind in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
... There is a pretty close correlation to experience and position on the first leg. ...

Not saying the boats don't make a difference, ...
Regarding the transquadra:

Hei bb, before replying to your last post I wanted to say you were right about this. I read that magazine you were talking about and yes, there are some very experienced sailors racing there. Not professionals now, but some were professionals when they were younger, or very close to it.

On the same magazine, Volile and Voiliers, July edition, they also make some very interesting comments about the ideal boat to sail solo or with a short crew.

I will not talk about it in detail here but I would say that what they say coincides with my experience. Regarding size they say that for an offshore boat the ideal is between 30ft and 37ft and they say also that a performance cruiser will have advantages over a cruiser (we are talking about mass market boats) and make a good review of the advantages and disadvantages of a large beam, large transom boat over a more traditional design.

Regards

Paulo
Old 09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
I read about that boat last year as well - the designer got the idea off the lake boats with the skiff like bow.

It planes much earlier (faster) but is a bit of a handful upwind. Great "one design / one purpose boat" and I'm sure some iterations of the hull will eventually flow downstream to more broad designs. I think you could see some "convertable" designs with a bow "keel" that could come down while upwind and up while downwind in the future.
I was quite surprised with the boat results and even so I thought that it was just some kind of curious amateur that got lucky. I was wrong.

It is not luck, the guy is really good. David Raison is a naval engineer and worked with François Lucas and they are the ones that first used chines for improving performance, the ones that we see today in many racing boats and some cruisers.

He says that he was looking for a way to improve performance in a mini racer and the idea of this hull shape come when he recherche the Skows:

They had that bow and hull shape for having more stability.

Than he made some computer studies and simulations on shapes and how they would perform and designed the boat accordingly. He says the boat sails as was previewed on the studies.

He says that compared with all the other racing mini protos, his boat is the fastest on a beam reach, among the top 5 close to the wind and among the top 10 downwind.

The worse performance is downwind with more than 25k wind and waves, were the boat takes a good beating.

This bow makes the boat plan more easily and gives a lot more righting moment. He says that his boat with the keel vertical has the same righting moment the other proto have with the keel canted to the right side.

It seems that one of the new designed Open 60 has a bow working on the same principles (not so radical).

Funny thing is that I read once on an old book about design and building of Caravelas (XV century discovery sailboat) that the bows should be well rounded...and I never understood why or for what purpose

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 09-24-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKDexterHaven View Post
Full results from the 2011 Big Boat Series:
Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program

You’ll see that the conditions really favored the J/125; they took the top four spots in their division. I think Double Trouble had the best crew, which is one thing that comes out of this interview with the owner/skipper:

J/News Articles: J/125 Double Trouble- Andy Costello Interview

They beat a brand new Farr 400. The Farr proponents will point to its newness and lack of familiarity on the part of her crew as reasons for less than optimal results. Interesting that a design over a decade old can still work well, given the right conditions. From the above interview it sounds like the Farr was faster upwind but incapable of matching the J’s downwind speeds.

Thanks. Great racing from the Costello team and great results for an old boat, but if you look at the real times you will see that even if Costello beat sometimes the Farr, most of the times the Farr 400 was faster.

And then you had only 1 Farr 400 and four j125 and I suspect that the Farr team was not that good compared with the best J125 or has not yet the boat fully exploited.

Pity you had not there several Farr 400 and Ker 40 to just see how good is the J 125 or how bad is the Farr 400. I confess my surprise for the j125 results face to what is considered the absolute weapon.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 09-24-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2011

Three nice trailers with great images of interesting boats, ocean racing boats:

AUDI MEDCUP 2011 on Vimeo

Vendée Globe 2012-2013, le teaser - YouTube

Trailer IMOCA 2011 - YouTube

By the way, today start two great races, a circumnavigation in class 40 and a Transat in 6.50 minis.
Old 09-26-2011

I had already posted about this and other dream boats:

So, why talk about this one again? well, because this one is not on the dream world anymore. This Dykstra designed boat is already in construction in Turkey.

Take a look at the shipyard:

with a bit of luck I we will see it in the water soon, crisis or no crisis

Its name: Dream symphony.

Old 09-26-2011

Another interesting one in its way to production, the smallest on the Murtic range, the 43 IRC.

The boat is designed by Botin/Carkeek http://www.botinpartners.com/ and the Croat shipyard says about it:

She is a friendly sailing yacht designed by the world's best design team, Botin/Carkeek, combined with unique design envisaged by the architect and passionate sailor Marko Murtic - we present you with a yachts delivering incredible performance and comfort. She is revolutionary; with her functional and minimalistic design, she delivers incredible performance whilst retaining the cool elegance of an ultramodern cruising yacht.

It sets new standards. Yacht serves as comfortable cruiser, short handed family weekender and competetive IRC racer, capable of competitive racing at both club and regatta level.

With its non overlapping headsails for easy of tacking and an asymetrical spinnaker, the Murtic 43 IRC can be sailed to its full potential short handed, without experienced crew.

The technical characteristics are impressive as well as the Polar speeds.

the boat is sleek and beautiful managing to have a very cozy and comfortable interior full of light.

A racer disguised as a cruiser, or a cruiser that can win major races? An interesting compromise

Last edited by PCP; 09-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-28-2011

Do you have heard about the DSS (Dynamic Stability System)?

http://dynamicstabilitysystems.com/#/profile

That's a kind of a crazy idea with movable lateral foils. The foils are supposed to give the boat more stability and more righting moment:

Well, that can be a crazy idea but it works. they have tried it on the Wally 94 Magic Carpet (retrofitted) and the results confirm the tank testing results:

These are the results:

More Data:

120 degree True Wind Angle (TWA) – performance summary:

Percentage performance increase at 120’ TWA delivered by DSS is from 1.2% at 6knots of wind speed to 44.2% at 25 knots of wind speed

This equates to being 0.14knots faster at 6 knots wind speed and 7 knots faster at 25knots wind speed

The DSS powered Magic Carpet is always faster than the standard Magic Carpet

90 degree True Wind Angle (TWA) – performance summary:

Percentage performance increase at 90’ TWA delivered by DSS is from 3% at 6knots of wind speed to 39% at 25 knots of wind speed

This equates to being 0.3knots faster at 6 knots wind speed and 5.7 knots faster at 25knots wind speed

70 degree True Wind Angle (TWA) – performance summary:

Percentage performance increase at 70’ TWA delivered by DSS is from 4% at 6knots of wind speed to 29% at 25 knots of wind speed

This equates to being 0.5knots faster at 6 knots wind speed and 4 knots faster at 25knots wind speed

40 degree True Wind Angle (TWA) – performance summary

Percentage performance increase at 40’ TWA delivered by DSS is from 2% at 6 knots of wind to 8% at 25 knots of wind, almost a knot faster

Additional benefits are derived by the reduction in pitching and the increased efficiency of the sails when sailing close to the wind

Upwind and Downwind VMG differences

Whilst DSS provides unparalleled performance gains in reaching conditions it still provides significant gains in a windward/leeward environment as shown by the gains in the upwind/downwind analysis

The Wally 94 DSS upgrade outperforms the standard Wally 94 in VMG conditions

Further gains can be made with a bespoke yacht design where DSS is central to the initial design process

How!!! that is impressive. Hugh Welbourn deserves a big applause for this development that seems to me a lot more interesting to common sailboats that the rigid wings of the AC boats.

They have also tried it in a 40ft and in a Quant 28 that is already winning races. The Guys from the Italian sailing magazine "Vela" test sailed that boat and were really impressed, with the speed but mostly with the reduced heeling.

Here are the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ogozAZ24I

Quant 28 - Video 1 DSS 27' - YouTube

Dynamic Stability Systems 27 v1 - YouTube

Last edited by PCP; 09-28-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2011

Some more information about the DSS, a system that increases stability dynamically trough the lift provided by a lateral foil. This is taken from an interview made to Hugh Welbourn by Harken that is also a partner in the system development:

Harken : Is this concept tailored more towards racing or cruising yachts and why?

HW: It has been one of the happy discoveries that the benefits of the system are related to the boat type. For the racing yacht, more speed, lighter and safer boats with more manageable rigs all add up to a major step forward.

For the cruising yacht, any added speed is never unwelcome. But the far more comfortable motion and reduced heel angles, easier control under autopilot, and totally fail-safe nature of the system are the more important features.

On safety – it also dramatically eases recovery of a man overboard as he can get onto the foil, then stand up on it and regain the boat. Good fun for normal swimming off the boat too!

Harken : Do you think that this concept is applicable for inshore racing, or do you see it being used more in offshore scenarios?

HW: Both.The simplicity and ease of use of the system lends itself to all disciplines.

Inshore, faster, lighter boats you can control are just more fun. Offshore, the same applies!

Harkeen : Can you explain what accounts for the dramatic increase in upwind VMG when the wind speed increases from 10-15 knots? Presumably, that is when the boat becomes fully powered up, but why is there such a dramatic increase in stability?

HW: The improvements to upwind VMG are from two separate effects of the deployed foil. the added stability on a correctly configured system gives the boat more power to carry sail and thus speed. This outweighs the cost of additional drag. One can also see that you can achieve a degree of stability at a lesser angle of heel with the foil deployed, so the boat is being sailed in a more effective trim for speed.

Secondly, the dynamic damping of the boat in both pitch and roll significantly improves the rig efficiency. This also reduces the amount of corrections required by the helmsman or autopilot – again, less drag and greatly reduced power requirements.

Harken : What accounts for the greater performance increase downwind as opposed to upwind?

HW: The lift of a foil is proportional to the square of the velocity, so as soon as the boat is moving faster then the foil effects rapidly mount up. So the added stability comes into play, and also the reduced displacement of the hull as seen by the water further reduces drag.

Harken : It appears as though the gains in speed/lift outweigh the added drag of this appendage in most wind conditions, what happens in very light air?

HW: In light airs, then the foil is fully retracted, so there are no negative effects, just benefits from having an overall lighter and more efficient hull/sail plan.

Harken : How will the DSS be secured and watertight within the hull? How does this affect the structural stability of the hull?

HW : With individual swing-out foils the housing is easy to arrange so the major hull structure is on the upper side of the casing. Potential damage from impact of the foil at speed with objects in the water is dealt with by controlled swing-back of the foil.

With the through-hull foil, the casing is the watertight component. Experience with how daggerboards in multihulls and canting keel monohulls respond to impacts is extremely useful in understanding and dealing with the loads on the hull and casing. However, to protect the hull and casing integrity, ultimate over-stress will result in the controlled failure of the foil itself.

In both scenarios, arrangement of the casing will be through the normal side longitudinals/bunk tops so the hull exit itself is further contained within a watertight area.

Harken : How does the foil move from side-to-side? Does the system differ in different sized boats?

HW: A simple rope hauler system is more than adequate on boats to 40 ft with plain sliding contact bearing areas. Above that we move into Harken developed roller bearings for the contact areas but still use with rope haulers. At the top end Harken roller bearings are the favored solution.

Harken: Who is DSS?

HW: This company has been set up by HBW and GK with a small number of highly motivated investors. This has allowed four years of extensive R & D from radio controlled models through tank testing, culminating in the sailing development boat to take place. Our partnerships, which have contributed significantly to the rapid development of the concepts and system, include Harken, Doyle Sails (NZ), and Pantaenius Insurance. These companies reflect the confidence we have in developing and promoting this exciting development for yachts of all description.
Old 09-29-2011

Some posts back we had talked about this odd boat, a mini proto with canting keel and all and this funny bow. I had said that this strange boat was a fast one among the best mini protos:

And I was right, the boat and his skipper (David Raison) are in 3th in the BIG Transat (79 minis racing) between France and Brasil.

Click on Rankings and then on tracker to follow.

The race - La Charente-Maritime / Bahia - Transat 6.50

Last edited by PCP; 09-29-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.