Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I have been mislead lately with some nice drawings that are just "too" nice and that in the end, the reality looks a lot worse.

Happily this is not the case with the new Dufour 335. I have already posted about this project and I had said that the drawings looked great and now that the boat is on the water I can say that the photos look as well as the drawings.

The first tests have been made by several French magazines and they are conclusive: It is a great boat.

The Voile Magazine says : A future Star.

Bateau says: The boat has a big ambition: to look and feel a lot bigger than actually is, for the family profit... and it manages that successfully!

The boat should be as fast as the Hanse 325 (it weights more 240kg but has more 4m2 of sail) or the Benetau 34 (more 200kg, more 7m2 of sail but more beamy) and probably just a bit less than the Jeanneau 33i (that has weights 800kg less and has less 3m2 of sail). The Jeanneau has also a better B/D ratio and the Oceanis (Benetau) has the worse wile the Dufour and the Hanse have a similar ratio.

The Dufour is well designed on the inside but the outside is outstanding!! It is difficult to make a small boat looking good (because the need of standing height) but this one is beautiful and really looks like a much bigger boat.

The cockpit is huge and the bathing platform makes it even bigger.

They say on the boat test that the feeling at the wheel is great (and that is not very usual on a two wheel setup) and that the boat is incredible well balanced. They say that in flat water they can leave the wheel and the boat maintains course for five minutes (I find that really incredible).

Regarding speed close to the wind they talk about 4K with 8K wind but they say that on a previous test with lots of wind they managed 7K and downwind with spy 9K.

The biggest innovation of this boat is the system to control the boom. It has no traveler but has 3 fixed points to the boom line, one central (more near the wheelman that one over the cockpit) and two on the side of cockpit. That corresponds to a huge traveler but without the possibility of having intermediate regulation. How well works this system? I don’t know, I would have to try it but the guys from the Bateau magazine say that “all is clear and simple”. However they say also that the main winches could be bigger for an easier work.

Another innovation is the lack of Backstay and that is an innovation that I don’t like, even if that permits a fuller mainsail and an uncluttered cockpit. On the test they say that all the rigging looks “extremely solid”.

The boat that is a Felci design has a big tankage for a 33ft : 220 L of water (normally they offer 100L more as an option) and 160L of fuel.

A very interesting boat and I agree with the guys from Voile magazine, it will be a bestseller

Last edited by PCP; 09-30-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
No traveller to get in the way, but how do you tack that thing?
Old 10-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWhy View Post
No traveller to get in the way, but how do you tack that thing?
This way

Dufour 335 by Marisail - YouTube

I know that this was not what you meant but this boat is designed to sail 80% of the time with the Boom line control on the central link. The lateral links are for downwind sailing and regarding that they will provide a better sail shape than the competition:

The Hanse does not have a traveler, the Benetau has a ridiculous small one, the Jeanneau has a better one (but also small) in about the same place the central Dufour boom's link point is located and it will not permit the "opening" the Dufour system provides for downwind sailing. Besides the Jeanneau boom control clutters the already small Jeanneau cockpit:

Hamnen.se provseglar Jeanneau 33i - YouTube

Regarding the way to use it I don't know what they thought about it, but I would rig a preventer to the middle of the boom to amidships and then to the back cleats (near the wheel). To change tack with the Boom control on the outside link I would just need to have the preventer tight, change the system to the other side and than slowly let the preventer go while changing course.

Of course this is not perfect but if you want perfection, performance and still have a decent cruising interior (but not so good) on a 33/35ft boat you have to put some more money and have one of these:

Elan 350 video -- Yachting World - YouTube

Salona 34 - La prova in mare di SoloVela - YouTube

Salona 34 - Il video degli interni di SoloVela - YouTube

Dufour 34e Paris Boat Show 2010 - YouTube

SNIM 2011 2éme manche - YouTube

BENETEAU FIRST 35 - YouTube

First 35 - Hankø Race Week 2010 - YouTube

You have more options but then you have to put in even more money

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-01-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2011

Another interesting boat that I had posted about in its design phase is the CR38DS. Now the boat is already in the water and looks even better than in the drawings.

This is a Deck saloon different from the others. With this one you will left behind most other sailing boats, even bigger ones.

Even modern cruisers will be on its wake and only true performance cruisers will be slightly faster.

Do you think I am exaggerating?

Look at this numbers:

Loa 11.5 m Lwl 9.75 m Beam 3.63 m Draft 1.72 m Displ. 6.8 T Keelw. 2,9 t Sail a. 78 m2

The weight is just amazing considering the big ballast that, even considering the keel is only 1.72 m deep, will give it a better B/D ratio than most modern boats of its size. A stiff and powerful boat with a great interior:

They say about it:

The modern construction, designed by Stephen Jones, makes the CR 380 DS to one of the most stabile boats in its class.

It has a moderate draft of 1, 72 m. Wide side decks, a deep secure cockpit, and separate storage for the life raft, high quality wood joinery and good performance. These are just some of the things that make the CR 380 DS one of the best DS boats available.

The CR 380 DS is one of very few that can offer two heads together with two large cabins, extra bed in the saloon and a technical room, all stored in a good looking 11.5 m boat.

The large cockpit offers comfortable seating for eight, a large cockpit table thats permanently mounted in the floor ready to be used. The twin steering wheels and having the mainsheet on the coachroof makes it easy to move around in the cockpit.

Different layouts are available according to the customers’ needs and desires.

A great boat...with a Swedish price tag. The boat is built in the Island of Orust home of some of the best world cruisers.

Last edited by PCP; 10-01-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2011

Any sailboat able to make the Northwest passage will deserve a better look. If that boat is not a purposely built boat well, it is an interesting one, so just have a look at this one, not only crossed the North Atlantic at high latitudes has they went trough the icy Northwest passage. After that they circumnavigated:

The boat was blocked by ice in Peel Sound and they hesitated to go through.
Eventually they found a gap and went through. Some wind pushed them through with considerable speed they reported.

That's true, it is a some year's old Bavaria 44. Basically a standard boat.

It seems that those kevlar protections that the Bavarias have on the front part of the hull come as very handy to break ice

You can read more about that voyage here:

Perithia - The story about a world trip with a sailing ship along the Amundsen-Route (north-west)
CarpeAquam likes this.
Old 10-02-2011

Bavaria Vision 46

Regarding Bavaria, on previous posts I have said that i find new Bavarias good boats but that their interior is not a mach for the French and Italian cruisers. It is not a question of material quality just a question of inferior design quality.

Well, it is not so anymore in what concerns the new Bavaria vision 46 (finaly!!!!)

I had posted already about the Vision 46t, said that it looked well and seemed to display some innovations...but that I would wait for the interior (I was expecting a typical Bavaria interior to spoil things) before saying more. Now that I have seen more drawings and the interior drawings I can say that I find this one a really new age Bavaria.

Great interior full of interesting details How!!! I cannot wait for the photos and to be inside one to see if those drawings are for real.

The number of interesting ideas is huge and the boat, as the other Bavarias are the only ones (from the mass market ones - cruiser line) that offers two winches on each side, one for the boom, the other for the mainsail.

I am very curious to see the rest of the line specially the 40ft. The Bavaria Vision 40ft is a great cruiser, one of the stiffer boats among mass market cruisers, a fast boat too with good tankage spoiled with a...hum...not so god interior.

See if you agree:

http://www.yacht.de/boote/neue_boote...au/a64757.html

Last edited by PCP; 10-02-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2011

Let's talk about racing boats and about one that people talk about in Europe. It is not a big one, only 40ft, but able to go over 30K

Of course, it is a trimaran, but even so over 30K on a 40ft is a remarkable feat.

the boat is a Danish one, named Carbon3 and was designed by Nigel Irens that says about the boat:

"Reconciling the requirement for interior space with that high performance is the almost impossible task that usually faces multihulls designeres, so Benoit Cabaret, and I were pleased to be asked by Jonas Pedersen to produce a 40 footer with 'absolutely nothing' inside. The simple brief was to draw a flat-out trimaran with the potential to match anything else of this size afloat - both inshore and offshore.

Our aim has been to address this brief by drawing an equally simple boat - with a view to keeping both weight and cost under control. Clearly rejecting the option to make the boat demountable or foldableis a good way to help achieve these two objectives. THe two beam are straight in plan view, as opposed to being swept forward as is common on larger trimarans.

The layout of the boat has been optimised for the rig, which has been breathed on by multihull guru Torbjörn Linderson (backed by Marstrom) who brings his huge experience to the project.

John Levell, whose structural engineering got Ellen MacArthur, Francis Joyon and Thomas Coville safely around the world, has beddn responsible for the structual design of this boat form the beginning of the project."

Imagine the feeling to be passed this way when you are racing in a relativelly fast monohull (a Luffe 37):

Carbon3 overhaler Luffe 37 Frække Frida mellem Fænø og Bogø på Palby Fyncup 2011 - YouTube

And now look at that "beast" doing over 30K:

Carbon3 - +30 knob fredag d1-7 2011 - YouTube

And the most amazing thing: Several races, some offshore and not one single capsize

Carbon3 - Palby Fyn Cup 2011 - YouTube

Last edited by PCP; 10-03-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2011

Update on the performance of the strange ugly boat on the mini transat:

It seems that the ones that give the boat as a favorite had it right. The boat finished the second leg 2th at 28m behind the first and David Raison said with modesty but also with some truth:

David Raison (TeamWork Evolution): "I got scared this morning because I had blocked the main sail up the mast. I thought I was going to crash the boat on the rocks. I, also, have broken one batten. But, really, after the last 24 hours I was tired. And everything I have been doing was stupid. But my "Magnum" (ed., the name of the boat) is remarkable. I could not use her full potential. Because I, the man, was not able to follow. But she is made to win."

I guess that soon we are going to see a Class 40 with a rounded bow and who knows, maybe even a Open 60.

A bit out of the theme but I thing that what the fist and third said shows the seaworthiness of these little boats and also the human (big) dimension of this race and it is interesting anyway:

Sébastien Rogues (716 – Eole Generation-GDF SUEZ): "It is my greatest victory. Because it's the hardest race I've ever done. The more you suffer; the more it’s valuable to win. Especially because I believe I raced brilliantly.

I have always been at the forefront of the fleet. But suddenly, off Portugal, when there were ​​40 knots of wind I wondered what I was doing there. What was going to break first, the mast? The hull? And at that moment the race is not your priority, you think about yourself first.

We had a very combative but quite friendly race with David and Jorg. This morning, I wondered where David had gone. I did not dare to ask by the VHF and he is the one that told me "Is that you ahead of me?” What a great moment! The boat is fine. I can leave right now; I just have a few ropes to change."

28 minutes and 25 seconds after Sébastien Rogues, David Raison on TeamWork Evolution finished this stage between La Rochelle and Funchal in 8 days 21 hours 55 minutes ans 08 seconds at the average speed of 5,38 knots.

Jorg Riechers on Mare.de finished third in 8 days 22 hours 19 minutes and 07 seconds. He covered the 1148 miles at an average speed of 5.36 knots.

"When, before the departure from La Rochelle, Bertrand Delesne collided with me, I was furious. I would have killed him if I had him close enough. I remembered that I was forced to withdraw in 2009. I did not want it to happen again. During two seconds max, I thought about giving up. But I changed my mind. I laminated from the inside all night and by day I did the outside.

After that experience, I'm happy with my race. I sail against great champions and I'm third. It's great. Nothing is definitive yet; there is still the second stage. I got a scared like David in the end. I have touched the mole, but nothing serious. We will fix it."

News - La Charente-Maritime / Bahia - Transat 6.50

Of course, I find that Jorg Riechers is also a Champion and a top solo sailor and I would like to see him on an Open 60.

Last edited by PCP; 10-04-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2011

After the Xp 44, that is already a big sales success, X yachts presents the new XP 50. They have presented it some days back and they have already 4 commands

The Xp 50 is going to be, as all XP boats a very fast boat but I would say that this one is a bit more oriented for cruising and less for racing, if compared with the 44.

The boat is just beautiful and even has a dinghy garage. If you are a wealthy guy looking for the perfect boat and if your idea of a family car is a Porche Panamera, this is the boat you are looking for

Old 10-05-2011

Wauquiez centurion 40s2

That's a big surprise at least for me: Wauquiez is producing again the old Centurion 40, that was out of production for several years, with a slight remake:
Same hull, same superstructure, different transom, two wheels, different interior and big port hulls.

It seems to me that Wauquiez is passing for a bad time and I don't think this is a good idea. the boat has a great interior. It had already a good one in the old model and the big port hull and a more modern approach makes it even better.

Wauquiez - Prsentation du Centurion 40 S2

But even if the "old" Centurion 40 was a great sailing boat and this new interior seems great I don't think it is enough to beat the competition. The boat still look a Centurion 40 and that boat looked already a bit "old" when it went out of production some years back, now it really look old fashioned, not in a positive classic kind of way and to put things even worse the boat is expensive: 249000€ without tax.

They say that the old Centurion owners wanted a new centurion and that is bad because it means they didn't identify themselves with the Opium 39. The Centurion is much more heavier than the Opium (8600kg for 5000Kg), is certainly slower and a very different type of boat.

Funny thing is that they don't say nothing on the Wauquiez site about this "new" boat but they are to presenting it at the Genova boat show

Last edited by PCP; 10-05-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.