HMoll is on a distinguished road

From nauticed.org

downhaul, a.k.a. cunningham

Cheers, Hans
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Thanks Hans!
My excuses, I was the one who started misusing the terminology.

I found out the way Atlantic Yachts solve the problem of the boom vang with a very low gooseneck attachment, Paulo:

http://www.atlanticyachts.nl/downloa...len-49-p1i.pdf

Translated and summarised from Dutch: it is exactly the same as Structures did with the Pogo. A separate line that is being rigged between the boom and the toerail.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-09-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Thanks Hans and Eric,

Eric, it seems the same principle but not exactly the same (if I am understanding right). Your system has a purchasing system so it will need less force, this one has a permanently rigged system at the middle of the boom, but no purchase.

The one on the Atlantic 43 is exactly the same I had rigged on my old Bavaria 36 to be able to control the boom from the wheel when taking with the wind from behind (solo sailing). It will work at some extent but I don't think that it will work as effectively as a "normal" boom vang.

Take a look, this boat has 3 winches on each side, plus one on the cabin top. I guess that kind of system can be permanently rigged to a winch when needed. I used for holding mine the back cleat

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-09-2011

Absolutely right, Paulo.

These Atlantics are designed for ocean passages, with long periods of time sailing the same (downwind) course in mind. I expect we will do much more adjusting and jibing, so this additional purchase is very welcome .

Best regards,

Eric
Old 10-09-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Paulo, have you posted this Salona 38 gallery? -->> Salona 38
Old 10-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
Paulo, have you posted this Salona 38 gallery? -->> Salona 38
Thanks G,

No, I have saw those photos put I have not posted them. I was waiting for the first real boat tests to make a comment and eventually to post some but as you have called the attention to them I will post two.

But I would say that I am a bit amazed with this boat interior that shows what I have said to Andrews: This guys on Salona are very strange in what regards the boats that they send to the boat shows. I know that this is a small boat show (Friedrichshafen) but even so it is quite incredible that they send a boat with a so bad finished interior.

I don't know if this is a prototype or something like that but the pillows on the saloon don't match, the wood finish looks bad and on the portboard the seats make an angle to give access to a door that is not there (this is the two cabin version).

If I had not been inside one, with a teak interior and incomparably better finished I would never have considered this boat as a boat to have and really beats me why they show a boat like this on a boat show. It will not attract clients, it will drive them away and has I have said to Andrews, this is not a first time that I have saw a badly finnish Salona on a boat show.

I don't understand their comercial policy

The one I have sailed went to the Cannes boat show and that one was alright (it was the first boat on the water). I believe I saw this one on the factory being made, probably the first one with 2 cabins.

Well, the 41 I had charted had also a well finished interior but I would not have accepted a boat with an interior like the one that was exposed on that boat show. Maybe it is not for cruising and the owner does not care or it's for charter. I have to be careful about this.

I am talking with the guys of Salona about the possibility of having a 38 with a modified keel (torpedo keel with more 250/300Kg) and a bowsprit that include a roller and a stand for the anchor, that and some minor but important (at least to me) mods that don't come on the options and of course, all that without making the boat prohibitively expensive and I hope they can warranty me that it will come with a decent interior.

We will see. I will take a decision at the Paris boat show were they will be with the new 38.

Meanwhile take a look at the cockpit in its standard version (without teak on the floor). that is the one I prefer. It is a big cockpit with all the winches well positioned. I prefer it with the back bench that closes the cockpit and provide additional seating (not in the photo).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-09-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
I'm also very happy to hear that, Anders.
When sailing the Pogo 10.50 I was dissapointed about the performance under engine and I'm not shure this will be any better with the 12.50. Like your Opium, they are beamy and light displacement boats and may be they will also benefit from a bigger propeller.
I will certainly discuss this with the yard!

Best regards,

Eric
I discussed the propeller with Structures last week and they already had come to the same conclusion: may be the one the engine manufacterer provides as standard is too small for this type of boat.

They even suspect that they (in this case Volvo Penta) might do this systematically, because they would prefer clearly underloaded engines in order to minimise their liability.

Anyway, a larger propeller will now be tested and I hope our 12.50 will benefit from this experience. Of course I'll keep you all updated.

So thanks very much again for this very valuable tip, Anders!

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 10-10-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
While we are at it, here is some more sailing with the Opium 39, from launching in Kiel to Torekov in the southwest of Sweden.

Wauquiez Opium 39 sailing part 1.mp4 - YouTube

Regards,
Anders
Hi Anders,

Finally I have saw that movie. You were right, my slow internet connection at the beach house did not permit me to see it.

You have a very nice boat. Particularly when the boat is out of water and in the air we can see how beautiful that hull is.

It seems to me that you have taken out my suggestion and have modified the standard main sheet system (German sheeting) to a direct one, with a purchase system. It works well? Not to many force needed?

I am curious about a thing: It was predictable that you were going to like that boat, but what about your family? After all that is a cruising boat and as I can see in your case a family boat.

Given the type of boat that the Opium 39 is, one that many would find to radical for a cruising boat and uncomfortable for family sailing I think that the opinion of your family is very relevant to see the validity of that point.

How does the family compare that boat with the Dehler 43, that you had before, in what regards general comfort and pleasure of living aboard?

It is an interesting comparison because they are almost opposed boats. One is a relatively narrow boat with high B/D ratio, the other a large beam and large transom boat, relying most on hull stability and with a B/D that can be considered average among the performance cruising boats.

I remember that your wife was not very impressed with the Opium interior and preferred the more glamorous interior of the Azuree 40. What is her opinion about it now, in what regards functionality, comfort and ambiance?

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-11-2011

The new Grand Soleil 39 is on the water. Its lines are very close to the ones from the Salona 38. That's a good looking boat with a moderate beam and a good B/D especially if we consider that all the ballast is in a toprpedo deep at 2.4m.

This is a stiff boat for sure.

I don't like the interior that was designed by the GS design team. I don't understand why there are no cabinets on the galley and I really hate that white stripe that I think are cabinets on the saloon.

The design team of this boat is very curious: The NA is Claudio Maleto, the outside design is from Atilla design and the interior design is from GS design team. I never saw a small sailboat designed by 3 design teams. I guess GS design team should have leaved the interior design to Atilla Design

On the GS site they have drawings of a much nicer interior were the cabinets are made of wood and not white. I hope that can be an option even if an galley without cabinets seem to be the only option.

Grand Soleil - Cantiere del Pardo

Sorry about the size of the photos but they are the only ones available.

LOA: 11.82 m
LWL: 10.40 m
BEAM: 3.70 m
DRAFT: 2.40 m
BALLAST: 2,450 kg
DISPLACEMENT: 6,820 kg
MAINSAIL AREA: 49.6 m2
GENOA SAIL AREA: 38.2 m2
SPINNAKER SAIL AREA: 130 m2
FUEL TANK: 200 lt
WATER TANK: 320 lt

Last edited by PCP; 10-11-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2011

Update on the RM 1260, The French long range performance cruiser that is waited by many with expectation.

RM has never been better. They have already almost all production for the next year sold

More drawings and photos of a model at a small scale:

They say about the boat:

"For over 20 years at RM, we imagined the original ships, efficient, more elegant.

In this spirit, we asked our architect Marc Lombard, in cooperation with our research, to achieve a "jewel" of 40 feet for experienced users who wish to sail on a sailboat cruise very powerful, elegant, and easy to master.

The specification that was drafted at the launch of the project was clear: to achieve one of the top 40 feet of the European market, offering a high-performance sailing, design a stylish and functional design, draw a boat race, great design attractive that differs from other, optimizing all the technical characteristics of the boat...

Safe and easy maneuvering with advanced ergonomic research. Plenty of space with comfort and safety: width of side-decks, folding chain-plates.
A commitment to style and aesthetic: taut lines, non-slip anti-glare paint, shield that surrounds the hull.

As soon as you enter the 1260, you will see an astoundingly different boat:

A very easy descent, good communication between the cockpit and the cabin. Volume and functionality: lots of cupboards, sail locker, and lots of cubbyholes. Modern contemporary pure lines, warm colours: shades of white, beige and chocolate.

The RM 1260 is designed to go very fast with amazing stability and comfort.

The choice between tiller or double helm.

Bi keel - single rudder:to limit the draft and retain high performance (while enjoying a boat that arises at low tide or on the dock).

Mono Keel - bi saffron: to limit the draft and retain high performance (while enjoying a boat that arises at low tide or on the dock).

The pleasure of steering a fast, very responsive boat while at the same time profiting from the perfectly balanced rigging.

Elegant, well balanced rigging: Performance with a perfect ratio of weight to sail surface. Security with a perfect balance under sail cutter rig with stay-sail.

Note that the 1260 can be furnished with a carbon mast to make the most of this “exceptional” yacht.

Plywood shell with the lightness and rigidity of epoxy, respect for the environment.

Strength and performance:

To achieve these objectives, we have developed and improved our original technology and performance since 1989.

Galvanized steel structure in the holds

Bulkheads laminated directly to the hull while in the mold without straining, giving lightness and strength.

A light rigid shell giving amazing performance, in the most environmentally friendly manner."

Hull length 11.99 m

Water Length 11,68 m

Overall Beam 4,35 m

Bilge keel draft 1,95 m

Draught monoquille (bi-saffron) 2,25 m

Main sail 49 m2

Genoa 50 m2

Staysail 27,4 m2

Spi 105 m2

Fresh water tank 400 L

Fuel Tank 130 L

Roof head clearance 2 m

Berths 7 / 9

CE Navigation class A

Last edited by PCP; 10-13-2011 at 07:21 AM.