Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1263Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Marty,
Have you seen this vid ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I had not seen that vid. Was he using the twin keel boat that was shown early on on the hard? Interesting creature! I know there was 20'ish SF3200's in that race. IIRC there were both single an dh class's for the race out of sf's.

EIther that one, or the ELan 310/350 would suit me fine. The Archembault 35 is another. They have a 32, off the top of my head I can not remember the specs as I type, it might also work. If the Fiagaro had a few more amenities for the spouse, it might also work. Easy to sail with one or two, fairly quick. Mid 30' range works well here in Puget sound too. Draft is NOT an issue, when the depth sounder is rarely reading, and if it is, it is usually 200-600+ feet!

Need to get one more bid done, two invoices, clean out the dumptwuck, load up some tools for tomorrow, so I can mow some fuzzies!
Old 08-11-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Hello guys , posting from Croatia(zadar). This apartment has an internet conection.

I have already sailed the Elan 380. Tried to catch the 350 but I had dracon sails and the 350 had racing sails. No way

The guy that owns the 380(is a racer) told me that he had already raced with the 350 and that he had won every time in real time. But his boat had the racing sails out this time because he his going to cruise with the family. Bad luck I would like to be in the water with both boats with the same sails to really see the difference.

Tomorrow I will go the Salona shipyard to see the new 41 and if I'm lucky after that I´m going to sail the 42.

Guys, the Cigalle is not a centerboarder but a fast deep bulbed keeled ULD aluminum sailboat.

Marty, the boat on the Andrew's movie is a OLEA. The Olea is a twin keel version of Bongo. Twin keel or single keel, both are fast and interesting sailboats.

A good and well designed twin keel has other advantages than a shorter draft for a similar performance

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 08-13-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Bad English
Old 08-11-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Paulo,

Thank you for the I will assume brands of the boats, Would also assume a bit later this evening where I am I will look them up via google/yahoo/equal search engine.

I think for me tho, a SF3200/Elan 310/350 will be the most logical ones to really focus on, as other wise, not sure how to ship here etc, with the dealer being the same for Jeanneau and Elan, that will not be a hard thing to accomplish getting a boat. Granted one hates to pay the local dealer a share, but at times.........better than figuring it all out yourself some times. Have clients that have tried to landscape there yards etc themselves, and somewhere along the line they call me, I have to fix what they screwed up, along with put the rest in correctly, sometimes it costs them more than if they would have had me do everything to begin with!

Hope you are having a good trip! I have a friend of mine thru local YC coming over to Croatia to charter a boat in a week or so, should be there over at least the first week in Sept. not sure arrival or departure, or the city they are to be sailing out of initially.

Marty
Old 08-12-2010

Olea and Bongo

Thanks Marty,

The Olea and the Bongo are the same boat. The Olea is the twin keel version.

There is a post on this thread about the big Olea, the 44 (post 101).

They have two new boats, the 44 and the 30. The designer is Pierre Rolland, a French NA specialized in fast and racing boats. He used to be a racer

Both boats have been very well welcomed by the French, specially the ones that like fast boats

http://www.olea-composite.com/Download/OLEA.pdf

http://www.olea-composite.com/

www.rolland-archi.com

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2010

OVNI / Allures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRW View Post

Well, Alubat make a few other very interesting (IMO) vessels, specifically the OVNI lineup. I don't know what it is about these vessels that I find the most intriguing but overall they seem to offer a huge number of fantastic features.

- The interiors have a functional, purposeful look to them without any of the added "bling"
- The lifting keel (though hated by some) allows for shallow waters or even beaching
- If you crunch some of the numbers they appear impressive (SA/D 21.5, B/D 36%, DLR 162)
- A price that while out of reach for some is certainly comparable to some of the cruisers featured in this thread

Comments anyone ?

SRW
Sean,

I agree that the OVNIS are interesting boats and they are not slow boats, specially downwind. They are also not very expensive, for aluminum boats.

But I would prefer the Allures. Much better upwind and faster in all points of sail, with a better AVS and reserve stability.

The boat has an aluminum hull, but to keep the weight down has a composite deck. They have been everywhere, including near the poles.

Le grand voyage

Stéphane Peyron - official website - la nature Ã* hauteur d'homme - site officiel - biographie - biography - 95 West productions - dans la nature - histoires formidables - Nulle Part Ailleurs - L'Avion - expeditions - livres - extraits video - photo

Allures

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2010

Elan 380 test sail

Has promised, some impressions about the Elan 380 test sail:

The boat was on Portoroz, Slovenia and was a private boat. The owner races the boat but as he is going for vacations, cruising with the family, had taken the racing sails out and had mounted inexpensive dracon sails (full batten anyway).

The cars on the mast are very good and I had no trouble in putting the sail up (by hand) from the cockpit. With those cars, the force needed is about the same on the Bavaria 36, maybe less.

The boat had a 40hp Volvo (Standard 29) engine and had a fast engine cruising speed : About 6.5K at 2000 rpm and easily over 7 if you put just a little bit more rpm (2150).

Unfortunately there was very little wind (5 to 8K) but we had no problem in sailing. Even with such a weak wind the boat can sail to 30º (apparent wind) and make between 5 and 6K. This with cheap sails and without using a geenaker (he had not one). Downwind we sailed at about 3.5, 4.5k, with just 3k of apparent wind showing on the wind instrument. The overall performance was very satisfactory, if not spectacular (as with the Opium 39). This boat can sail with very weak winds, especially if a geenaker is used, and make very good speed.

As I have said in a previous post, the owner gave me very interesting information on the performance of this boat compared with the new 350. With identical sails he says this boat is faster in all points of sail, including downwind. He says that while the 350 "comes out of the water" and starts planning at 9K, this one makes the same at 10K. He says this is an easy 8K sailing boat and that downwind it is easy to get double digit speeds.

The boat had German sheeting (standard) and uses the back winches for controlling the main and the front ones to the genoa. If I wanted (and I would want) they can put the control of the main in on the center of the boat (kind of set up for solo sailing) and I can use the back winches for the genoa, having all commands at hand (they have such a system as standard on the 34ft). But even with the standard set up, this one is a lot better than the one in the Opium 39 (that was designed for a tiller, not for a wheel).

For reefing, all lines (dyneema as standard) come to the cockpit. The boat comes with two automatic reefs and they can mount a third one, with two lines. The owner says that normally he puts the first reef with 20k of wind, which, considering the large sail area, shows that this is a stiff boat.

This boat had a draft of 2.35m, that is too much for my cruising needs, but the standard version has 2.05, that is just fine.

The boat seems to be very well balanced, the cockpit is very agreeable, with the right size for solo sailing and the only negative remark is the absence of a dedicated space for the liferaft. With this boat, for cruising extensively it is necessary to chose the 2 cabin version, to get a good storage space.

I know it already, but I could confirm again, that this boat has a very nice interior. Again it is better to have the 2 cabin, because it has a bigger front bed, not much, but 10cms can make a lot of difference for a big guy.

From the interior the only thing I dislike are the light switches, but I guess I can take them out and have them chromed (they are plastic, but they also look like cheap plastic ).

The boat as a small diesel and water tankage (110L and 250L) but they are happy to put more. After checking it seems easy to get 200L of diesel and 350L of water, and that for this kind of boat is good.

Overall it is a very nice boat and one that is going to stay on my short list. The Dealer has come expressly from Zagreb (the capital of Croatia) and made 250km for being present on this test sail. He brought his wife, a lovely girl, to serve as translator. They were both very nice people. If I chose an Elan I will buy from him. He does not know much about sailing (contrary to the boat owner that was a very good sailor) but I am quite sure I will get from him a boat the way I want it at a very good price (we talked about prices and he said to me that the first offer he had made to me was just that...a first offer ).

I end up paying beers to everybody and that was the end of a very pleasant morning. As I have said, all very nice people that I would have loved to meet, even if I had not the pleasure to sail the boat.

My soon also sailed the boat and even if he don't find any fun in sailing with less than 20k , he loved the boat, specially the outside looks and the interior.

Some photos of the 380 and from the new 350. If someone is interested I can also post a photo of the new 44 (cruising line).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-13-2010

myocean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Thanks Marty,

The Olea and the Bongo are the same boat. The Olea is the twin keel version.

There is a post on this thread about the big Olea, the 44 (post 101).
Thank you for all your interesting posts!
Do you know prices for the Oleas?
Old 08-13-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Very nice indeed Paulo. Extremely handsome boat thats for sure.

Thanks for the post. Looks like you are enjoying yourself.

Cheers mate

Andrew

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-14-2010

Thanks guys

Myocean, I had that information, but at home. I am in Croatia and leaving the Zadar apartment (and the internet) for going sailing. So no more internet for a while.

But if I recall correctly they are not very expensive boats. For sure, they will cost more than an Oceanis or a Jeanneau, but probably just a little bit more expensive than a Benetau First 45 (Olea 44).

Regards

Paulo