Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
As promised, here is the Vand de Stadt 56, that is built by K&M. Beautiful boat but more spartan than the Garcia 57, even if I doubt that less expensive.

The interior is less open, more traditional and less creative (but very well done). The interior looks also smaller and that is probably because the 56 is a really Pilot house with an enclosed fixed house while the Salt has a pilot house but with a removable house (kind of a cabriolet).

The Salt 57 has two versions, one with a center cockpit other with a aft cockpit. The one with the Aft cockpit weights less 3000kg, the other has about the same weight. The board of the Garcia has more 67cm (3.67) and is ballasted (1500kg). The Garcia has a total ballast of 6800kg while the Stadt has more 900kg and 2000kg of liquid ballast. The sail area is not much different with 3.5 more meters for the Stadt (167.5).

Probably the fastest is the Salt 37 aft cockpit but the performances are not very different and this are all fast and seaworthy boats, good boats.

The bigger difference is in the interior conception. I don't know if I would not chose the stadt but I have to admit that the Salt even in the aft cockpit boat has a much more light and spacious interior, with a better design:

Take a look here, it deserves a look. Click in "Suivant".

http://pierrefrutschi.com/crbst_17.html

And the 57 CC interior is just awesome. It looks like a much bigger boat:

Well, I decide the one I prefer after a test sail

Last edited by PCP; 11-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2011

After being delayed by bad weather finally the Transat Jaques Fabre is on. They are heading at 20k to 6m waves and 35k winds (at least). Beautiful 35 race solo boats out there, Class40, Open60 and Multi50, raced by two guys each.

Take a look at this movie with a summary of the last editions, beautiful boats, beautiful images

10 éditions de Transat Jacques Vabre por mairie-lehavre

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2011

Some posts back I have posted about a new American trimaran, a nice boat. I guess the European counterpart is the Challenge 42, made by naval Force 3 that makes primarily smaller cruising trimarans.

The boat was launched in 2009 and I think only one was made. The boat was designed as a fast bluewater boat and a long range cruiser and I like it a lot. Minimal but comfortable and with everything one need to live aboard.

I guess that the downside, as in like any trimaran, is price and even if this one is not expensive (less than the American one) even so it costs about 400 000€ and of course, it's a no no in any marina, paying two times the price of a monohull.

But it is really a beauty and I bet it sails like a dream

Take a look at the movie:

Challenge 42 : la grande croisière rapide

And since we are talking about trimarans...,a nice movie:

Challenge Estuaire Multicoque 2011 por multihulls-world

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2011

Let's get back to the Comet 26s,

I fell that I had said not enough about this little fast cruiser that had raised a lot of interest and had very good results in the test sails from all the sail press:

http://www.comaryachts.it/images/Boa...%2007%2011.PDF

http://www.comaryachts.it/images/Boa...%2004%2011.PDF

The boat has interesting technical characteristics and it comes in two versions, one with a center board and with a mast that lowers to pass over bridges and another, faster, with a bulbed keel and fixed mast:

Specification

hull length 7,60 m
length with pulpit 8,09 m
length overall with pulpit and rudder 8,68 m
LWL 6,73 m
Maximum beam 2,96 m
WL 2,07 m
Width transom 2,75 m
Freeboard at bow 1,22 m
Displacement at half load 1790 Kg
Max Draft 1,75 m
Draft drift raised 0,80 m
Upwind sail area 36,5 mq
Rigging and Equipment
Mast 9/10 1 1 level spreaders abbattibile
Winch sheets

st
Outboard suggested 10 hp
Inboard engine saildrive 13 hp
kitchen 2 fuochi
Freshwater 100 l
Beds 6
Liftingkeel meccanico
Construction material Fiberglass
Shipyard builder COMAR yachts
Dedigner S. Lupoli Yacht Design

Price
Standard boat ex VAT, ex shipyard 31.500,00 €

The shipyard says about it:

The C26 is ... built by Comar Poland, the shipyard Comar Yachts has established in Poland for the construction of these boats. In particular, the Comet 26 aims to be a comfortable small cruiser, very easy to use and with excellent technical content.

The sail plan and deck layout are optimized to ensure the boat is fast and responsive when maneuvering, at the same time making certain she is easy to manage even with a family crew.

The Comet 26 is easy to use and transport as you can reach the beach thanks to the lifting keel and retractable rudder. The boat’s minimum draft is 50 cm. The foldable mast also guarantees the ease of transport: a well tested block & tackle system allows the Comet 26 to go under bridges not less than 3 meters high, letting you moor along channels and rivers.

A second version of the C26 is also available with a fixed keel and a non-foldable mast. Thanks to a notable freeboard and maximum beam of about 3 meters, the Comet 26 offers true cruiser interiors: berths are spacious and comfortable and the galley and head areas are ergonomically designed to be spacious and functional. Hull and deck are solidly laminated using isophthalic resin and fiberglass sheets. With the Comet 26, the goal is to offer a small cruising boat that is truly easy to manage while providing maximum comfort.

Some movies :

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2011

While we wait for the images of this year's race (Transat Jacques Fabre), that I am sure should be great just have a look at this great movie of Groupe Bell, that is now in 6th place:

And since heavy weather is expected just have a look at what is like (on solo boats and on Vor70) when things are rough:

And since we are at it, some cruisers doing well in 46k wind:

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2011

It was not easy to find nice images of start of the Jacques Fabre Transat. The ones on their site are no good, nothing on you tube but finally here they are, on the site of Voile and Voiliers.

Good quality images of very nice solo racing boats at speed. Great images:

Voiles et Voiliers
Old 11-03-2011

The Grand soleil is on the water for a month now and all we get is some low quality pictures:

I don't understand the commercial policy of Grand Soleil

Well, no we don't have decent pictures but we have three movies and I can say that the Grand Soleil 39 is beautiful specially on the outside, on the inside I really don't like all that white and the 80's thing to put the ditches on the galley.

http://www.grandsoleil.net/public/gs_39/brochure.pdf

It is a very classic boat, like the Salona 38 or the Solaris 37. The three boats share the same ADN. The boat looks better on the movies than on the pictures (maybe that's why they don't show any decent pictures).

Movies:

The new XP 38 is not far away in ADN perhaps a bit less classic or more modern as you prefer, but with the same kind of hull.

The Xp 38 is a gorgeous boat, probably from the 4 is the one that I like more on the outside line. It is a pity that its interior is smaller because the place were they had put the head takes a lot of space to the saloon. I don't like also all that white.

Regarding the interiors I like more the one from the Salona, than the one from Grand Soleil, and the one from X yachts is the worse. I am not talking about materials ( I am quite sure that the X yacht quality is top) but that interior really looks like one from a 36ft boat

But I guess that we can even forget that, just looks how it sails

Movie:

XP-38: Schnörkellos schnell segeln - YACHT-TV*|*YACHT.DE

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2011

Do you have heard about Far east boats, a Chinese boat manufacturer?:

Founded in 2002, Shanghai Far East FRP Boat Co., Ltd. is recognized as the biggest dinghy builder in China. The goal is to produce various high quality sailboats and boat fittings for our customers. “Even better than our faith is the honesty of our objective.”

In the same year, Far East was licensed by the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) to build the Optimist and now have become the biggest Optimist builder in the world with a yearly capacity of approximately 2000 Optimist hulls.

More recently, Far East also became an ISAF licensed builder of the 420 and started the plan to diversify the product range to Kayak and other sailboats.
Far East is also the sole distributor of Laser in the mainland China and serves China’s national sailing team in their daily training and regatta performance.

I bet this guys are going to upgrade to yacht construction and make good boats.

I have saw last year in Dusseldorf its first cruiser, a 26ft boat and I thought How!!! what a boat and looked to see who made that little beauty and saw Far East Boats???? I thought: another European or American small company making boats in china. Well I was wrong, it's an already Chinese big company with lot's of know how, inclusive from competition, that is starting to make bigger boats, and this one is quite a start.

The boat is designed by Simonis Voogd and it is a very interesting boat:

Fareast 26

Technical specifications
Length Overall: 8.38m
Length Hull: 7.92m
Water line length: 7.17m
Beam: 2.55m
Draft Max:. 1.70m

Displacement: 1655kg
Mainsail Area: 23.2 m2
Furling Jib Area: 14 m2
Spinnaker Area: 57.4 m2
Sail Area Total Upwind: 37.20m2
Sail Area Total Downwind: 80.60 m2
Engine: Outboard

The Fareast 26 is already a sucesseful One Design Class in China competing in the China Cup International Regatta.

The boat has a top construction with vacuum infusion, cored and with epoxy resins. It is not me that says that, it's the boat architect that is not a small one and would never tell lies about it. Listen also on the movie to the ingenuity of the Chinese girl. The funny thing is that I believe her. This boat if adequately distributed is going to be a success, on Europe and in the States.

Transported to Germany the basic boat with 17% German VAT is only 35 000€.

Look at the movie with the Architect and their sales manager, a young girl

Movie:

And the sailing movie:

Beautiful boat isn't it? I bet this one will be available in the USA soon and at this price I believe it is going to be a winner, there and in Europe.

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2011

On a recent populat thread about the more popular voyage boats I have said that probably the most popular French one is the OVNI but that the RM sailboats were gaining popularity.

The RM offer a less strong boat and I mean against hitting submerged objects (epoxy/plywood versus aluminum) but a much more faster alternative. RM are almost as fast as fast cruiser racers and are made with voyage in mind.

Well, it seems that they are now even more popular

On these crisis days with manufacturer closing doors and others in trouble, RM has all next year production for its new boat almost completely booked.

There would be nothing special about this if the boat were already made for costumers having a look, but the first one is still on the making. They have started the comercialization in September and before the main boat shows (Hamburg, Paris, Dusseldorf) they have already booked 5 from the nine they have capacity to build each year, I mean, just this model, the new 1260.

And it is not only the French that are buying them, 3 of the five are going abroad

I have test sailed the previous boat, the 1200 and it was not just what I was looking for but if I was looking for a long range voyager this would be the boat I would have, not that I would not chose other if I had the money for it, but this is the one that is fast, well made and afordable.

And it is not only this one, the smaler boat, also thought with voyage in mind, the RM 1060 that come out in September 2010 had already 32 commands with 19 boats delivered. There is a waiting list of more than a year for that one

Last edited by PCP; 11-04-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Looks like the Fareast 26 is the perfect daysailer/racer. Looks good, large cockpit, simple rig and 1/4 the price of Alerions and Eyachts but with a complete cabin that you can stand on.

Seems perfect if daysailing/weeknight racing is your cup of tea.

Last edited by Chimbatete; 11-04-2011 at 11:32 PM.