Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
Looks like the Fareast 26 is the perfect daysailer/racer. Looks good, large cockpit, simple rig and 1/4 the price of Alerions and Eyachts but with a complete cabin that you can stand on.

Seems perfect if daysailing/weeknight racing is your cup of tea.

Crisis or no crisis if we look to today's production from the past, I mean let's say 50 years ago, in what regards living amenities, today's boats are luxury boats, even the most humble Beneteaus and Bavarias.

When I started cruising I had a 25ft 80 years old traditional boat wooden boat with a deck but a bare interior, with siting height and we cruise (me and my wife) and live in the boat for 2 months each year and we did not cruise for more time because we had to work. The boat had no radio, no electronics, just a compass and luxury for us were small battery operated removable navigation lights that permits us to navigate at night. And even if we take shelter on protected or semi protected waters for most of the cruising we crossed each year hundreds of open ocean waters, many times with land out of sight.

At that time if he got the hands in a boat like the Fareast 26 I would fell that I could circumnavigate in it. Times changed but what really changed, in what regards boats and living conditions, is our mentality and the good things in life we are not willing to pass without, like a freezer or enough electricity to have light at night or running electronics.

Many years ago passed by my port a Scottish guy that was living his dream. A damn good sailor and a professional sailing teacher. He was circumnavigating in a small boat, a beautiful boat (28ft?): No engine, no freezer, no electronics. He did it successively and he looked very pleased with his boat and with his good luck that had permitted him to live his dream.

Bottom line, the Fareast 26 looks not only very fast but also seaworthy to me. The designer says that it is a medium displacement boat and even if the Ballast of the boat does not appear nowhere, I would say that it is a a boat with a relatively high B/D ratio and that with all the lead in a bulb 1.7m below should give it a lot of righting moment and a good reserve stability.

I would have loved to have a boat like that in my youth and I can tell you that I would not use it for daysailing, but for cruising and some racing

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-05-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2011

New yacht, another 38, the Saare 38. Definitively 38 ft boats seams to have a lot of demand. The Saare 38 is a medium displacement boat and a direct concurrent of XC 38 and Halberg Rassy 372. the boat weights 8500kg, almost the same as the XC 38, and its biggest argument is price. No, it is not a cheap boat but it is less expensive than other Nordic boats.

The interior quality seems very good but the construction specifications are only good but nothing special. The boat don't uses vacuum injection, neither epoxy or an interior carbon or steel grid, just a GRP grid on an hand laminated sandwich hull with vinilester resins on the outer skin, and 19mm balsa on the core.

Saare 38 main dimensions

MAIN 41.1 m2
GENOA 45.2 m2 (140%)
FORETRI. 32.2 m2
SPIN. 100 m2

Beam max 3.64 m
Draft 1.95 m
Displacement 8 500 kg
Keel (all lead) 3 050 kg

This is a seaworthy boat with a very good B/D ratio, a very good interior and also a good looking boat designed along classical lines, a boat that can be the right choice for the ones that want a good quality bluewater boat for a nice price. The boat costs with 17% German VAT (Basic price) around 243 000€ and a decently equipped boat will cost about 266 000€. This can seem a lot but the XC 38 costs a lot more.

The NA says about this boat:

"The goal in designing the Saare 38 was to provide a well-balanced and stiff yacht that is a pleasure to sail even with limited crew and in demanding conditions. The hull reflects the latest thinking with a low resistance hull shape that has the ability to carry the necessary load without losing in cruising comfort or sailing performance both upwind and downwind.

The general layout emphasizes spaciousness and functionality with the high freeboard and roomy cabin. Even with the open spaces, the interior provides excellent support for extreme conditions with good access to key areas.

The makeup of the Saare 38 employs well-proven concepts together with a carefully optimized use of materials. The Saare 38 is stiff, steady and reliable."

Karl-Johan Stråhlmann

Here you have a movie about the boat:

And a good test sail by the German magazine yacht:

http://www.blueocean.fi/tests/Saare3...st_19-2011.pdf

And you can compare with its main rival, the XC 38

Test sail XC 38 by YachtingMonthly:

http://www.x-yachts.dk/uploads/xc_38review.pdf

and a movie :

XC 38: neuer Cruiser: Der goldene Schnitt aus Dänemark - YACHT-TV*|*YACHT.DE

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Very "HR"-ish isn't she? Looks nice despite the 'low tech' aspect. Plenty of handholds below, reasonable storage. The table's a bit obstructive, but that's the nature of that configuration. Still 'yachty' enough for me!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Very "HR"-ish isn't she? Looks nice despite the 'low tech' aspect. Plenty of handholds below, reasonable storage. The table's a bit obstructive, but that's the nature of that configuration. Still 'yachty' enough for me!
I guess you are talking about the new line of Aft cockpits from the HR (372 and the new 40)? Yes it is similar and also similar with the X yachts line of cruising boats, the XC line.

You can see on the movie that table folds over the other side and leaves a nice space. That's the new trend with tables. The first one was the Jeanneau 409 and now lots of boats following including the new Grand Soleil 39 and Solaris 37. The Salona has one of those on the 44 and I ask them to make one for the 38. We will see.

I like the boat but for me is too Mercedes or BMW. I like more Porches

Compare it with this one, also a new one a 37ft, called 10.98, from Italia Yachts:

As you can see both boats share a very classical look with a hull with the beam not too much pulled back but the similarities end there. This one that also has a good interior, more on the minimalist side, weights about half what the Saare 38 weights

Tecnichal specifications:
Length over all: 11,29 mt. (37,04 ft.)
Hull length: mt. 10,98 (36,02 ft.)
Waterline length: mt. 9,65 (31,66 ft.)
Beam max: mt. 3,65 (11,97 ft.)
Draft: mt. 1,90 (6,23 ft.)
Displacement: kg 4.500
Ballast: kg 1.500
Engine: Lombardini 20 Hp (Lombardini engine 30 hp optional)
Mainsail + Jib: 72 mq
Mainsail + Gennaker: 135 mq

Of course that implies a more hi-tech construction the and the use of vinylester resin not only on the last layers but everywhere:

"Hull and deck are constructed in sandwich with differentiated density PVC core; the unidirectional and biaxial E-glass fibres are laminated with vinylester resin. The lamination is carried out at controlled temperature between 16 and 25°.The collar of the mast is structural.There is a structural carbon reinforced frame glued and laminated to the hull bottom. A structural carbon box dissipates the shrouds load to the hull and deck."

They say about the boat:

Italia 10.98 is a new boat built by a shipyard able to boast a fifty-years long experience. It is well manufactured to last a lifetime. Waterlines and sailing plan are the brainchild of Maurizio Cossutti and they are made to ensure an incomparable navigation experience.

The wide teak cockpit, the sundeck and the perfect location of the manoeuvres on deck: nothing is left random to ensure great sailing simplicity both in cruising and racing. The luminous and comfortable interiors, finished in precious teak wood, are among the widest and richest of innovative solutions in its category.

and some movies:

The guy that test sailed the Salona 38 with me (in Croatia) was undicided between the Salona 38 and this one. I guess that he chose this one. He was Italian and wanted a cruising boat that could make well in club racing and both boats will do that, but this one should be a rocket, specially with weak winds.

If I do not intended to cross the Atlantic and sail without limits, If I just sailed on the med I guess that I would also chose this one. As it is not the case I prefer the Salona 38 that is just between this one (more 2000kg) and the Saare 38 (less 2000kg).

I am afraid that the Italia 10.98 is not strong enough for the beating a boat can have on an Ocean passage but maybe I am wrong, maybe the boat is strong enough but I am sure the Salona is stronger.

The Salona (the upgraded version) not only is built with the same hi-tech materials and techniques as have also a grid (a stainless steel one) not only for the shrouds, but also for the keel. The Salona also uses vacuum infusion that is the way to get maximum strength with the lowest weight.

Maybe I am wrong, but using the same hi-tech materials and techniques, if a boat is considerably heavier, assuming it is well built, it can only be stronger.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Crisis or no crisis if we look to today's production from the past, I mean let's say 50 years ago, in what regards living amenities, today's boats are luxury boats, even the most humble Beneteaus and Bavarias.

When I started cruising I had a 25ft 80 years old traditional boat wooden boat with a deck but a bare interior, with siting height and we cruise (me and my wife) and live in the boat for 2 months each year and we did not cruise for more time because we had to work. The boat had no radio, no electronics, just a compass and luxury for us were small battery operated removable navigation lights that permits us to navigate at night. And even if we take shelter on protected or semi protected waters for most of the cruising we crossed each year hundreds of open ocean waters, many times with land out of sight.

At that time if he got the hands in a boat like the Fareast 26 I would fell that I could circumnavigate in it. Times changed but what really changed, in what regards boats and living conditions, is our mentality and the good things in life we are not willing to pass without, like a freezer or enough electricity to have light at night or running electronics.

Many years ago passed by my port a Scottish guy that was living his dream. A damn good sailor and a professional sailing teacher. He was circumnavigating in a small boat, a beautiful boat (28ft?): No engine, no freezer, no electronics. He did it successively and he looked very pleased with his boat and with his good luck that had permitted him to live his dream.

Bottom line, the Fareast 26 looks not only very fast but also seaworthy to me. The designer says that it is a medium displacement boat and even if the Ballast of the boat does not appear nowhere, I would say that it is a a boat with a relatively high B/D ratio and that with all the lead in a bulb 1.7m below should give it a lot of righting moment and a good reserve stability.

I would have loved to have a boat like that in my youth and I can tell you that I would not use it for daysailing, but for cruising and some racing

Regards

Paulo
Nice story Paulo, yes in a world of consumerism and mass production, we are often told that we need things that we really dont.

I watched the video of the designer of the Fareast you provided. He was talking about the boat being of high quality materials but he looks very serious and and not winking. I mean how the hell is this possible for $50k? Whats the catch?

I'm eyeing a beautiful well maintained Contessa 32 here in Lake Ontario and Im thinking that for the same money, if what they say of the construction of the Fareast is true, I may have one shipped. Its brand new, faster, not 30 years old and the interior seems just as spacious for a 26 vs. a Contessa 32.
Old 11-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
Nice story Paulo, yes in a world of consumerism and mass production, we are often told that we need things that we really dont.

I watched the video of the designer of the Fareast you provided. He was talking about the boat being of high quality materials but he looks very serious and and not winking. I mean how the hell is this possible for $50k? Whats the catch?

I'm eyeing a beautiful well maintained Contessa 32 here in Lake Ontario and Im thinking that for the same money, if what they say of the construction of the Fareast is true, I may have one shipped. Its brand new, faster, not 30 years old and the interior seems just as spacious for a 26 vs. a Contessa 32.
Chimbatete, I don't know what is the right boat for you but I know that the Contessa 32 is a completely different boat from the Fareast 26.

The contessa 32 is a 35 year's old design, a good one, a relatively heavy and seaworthy sailboat. It is also relatively fast, specially upwind in medium and strong winds but as nothing to do with the performance of a Fareast 26, specially downwind. Even upwind the small difference in LWL 15cm will not be enough to compensate the much better sail area/Displacement of the F26, except perhaps in heavy weather.

Contessa 32 Review : Bluewaterboats.org

But most of all the feeling of the two boats will be world's apart, if you like one, you would probably not like the other

I give you an advise: Test sail that Contessa 32 and then charter a J80, or find someone here that does not mind to give you a ride. The J 80 is an older design (regarding the Fareast 26), with less draft and without all the ballast in a bulb, a smaller and a lighter boat with a much smaller cabin, but you will have an idea.

Movie:

The Fareast should be more stiff (he can carry more 20% of sail) have a bit more inertia (it is 25% heavier) and would be faster, specially upwind where its much bigger LWL will mark the difference (more 54 cm).

It would have a feel of a bigger boat, with a bigger free-board, probably it will be a bit more seaworthy and of course, it has an incomparable bigger cabin with an incomparable better cruising interior. Not that the J 80 is not a seaworthy boat, it is. Its bigger handicap as an offshore racer is its limited interior space for the crew.

J/80 One-Design, Family Sailboat- A Family Rocketship- The Ultimate Family Sailboat For Sailors Who Love Sailing, Racing, Day-sailing or One-Design Sailing.

J/80 One-Design Sailboat- Sailing World Review- The Ultimate 26 ft One-Design Sailboat For Sailors Who Love Sailing, Racing, Day-sailing or One-Design Sailing.

J/80 International One-Design- Practical Sailor Review- The Ultimate 26 ft Sailboat For Sailors Who Love Sailing, Racing, Day-sailing or One-Design Sailing.

The Fareast 26 is a bigger and heavier boat, comparing with the J 80, but I guess that sailing a j80 will give you an idea. You have just to imagine a stiffer and bigger J80 with a good cruising interior.

I would be very interested in that comparative and in your opinion regarding both boats and its sailing characteristics

If you found out that the Fareast 26 is the boat you want, you should talk with that nice lady in the Video. She should probably be interested in having a Fareast 26 on some USA boat shows and will probably pay you the boat transport if you allow her to have it on one or two boat shows

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2011

Another nice performance cruiser to be presented at the Hamburg boat show, the Pacer 400.

The boat can be delivered in three versions, an upgraded cruiser one at 209 560 € a lighter one in epoxy resin for 236 450 € and a race version with carbon fiber mast for 293 990 € (prices with 17% German VAT).

They use high tech materials and building techniques specially on the upgraded versions. On the Cheaper version they use on Hull and Decks Vinylester composites. On the upgraded versions the Hull is built using vacuum bagged hand lay-up before the hardening process starts, and is post cured after it has left the mould. The laminated construction consists of hydrolysis - proof epoxy resin, multidirectional fabrics and foam as sandwich material. Internally the laminate is sealed using topcoat.

The interior seems a lot better than on the 376, their other model that was already brought to Europe.

The boat is light and powerful and should be very fast.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Length Overall 12.04m
Length WaterLine 11.03m
Beam 3.75m
Draft 2.4m (std T Keel)
Displacement 5700kg to 6350kg
Engine Size (STD) 30hp

SAIL AREAS (Std Rig and Sail Plan)

Mainsail 48.6m
Code 1 Jib 36m2
Spinnaker Masthead 120m2

A very interesting sailboat

Last edited by PCP; 11-07-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2011

Finally Bavaria seems to have got it right with the Bavaria Vision 46. I hope the rest of the line, particularly the 40, will be as well designed as this one. And for once this Bavaria has a warm and well designed interior

The boat is going to be presented at Dusseldorf in January, it is expected to be a well equipped boat and will cost about 20 000€ less than the Jeanneau 45DS, its main competitor. The price with 17% German Vat tax will be around 208 000€, a fair price for what seems to be a nice and innovative boat.

Movie:

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Hi Paulo,

Couple of questions I ask when buying a boat. What are you using it for? and How much?Looks (to an extent)

I dont know how people sail here but its about weeknight races and weekend regattas(if theres one)/family cruising. Now if you have a limited budget, I cant see how you wont have a look at the Fareast.

Because truthfully, the only boats you can have (weeknight racing/crusing) for that amount are 20 year old boats (c&c's, CS, Mirages, Tartans, Pearsons, Contessas, Older Beneteau first series in the great lakes). Now you introduce a boat like the Fareast 26 for $50k approx and it changes the game.

The question is simple, get a 30 year old boat or a new boat for the same intent of use for near the same price. It would be a travesty if they cant market this boat coz it practically sells itself. I'm fairly young, and this is the type of boat that target my demographic.
Old 11-08-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Chimbatete, how about shared ownership and new (88k euro) Varianta 44?