Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Yes the varianta is very interesting for the price. It is really a pity that the boat has not an option for an anchor locker and a closed cockpit locker (the one they have opens directly to a cabin). That would not cost a lot of money and would really open other horizons ti that boat, that is a seaworthy and fast boat. For the ones interested there are posts in this thread about the boat.

MOVIE:

Even the Varianta 18 is interesting for the program the Chimbatete describes and it only costs 11 000€

Varianta Segelyachten - from Dehler with love

Movies:

Varianta 18 Vilma - HD - YouTube

Varianta-18.de Sailing 20 FSA Segelsport.avi - YouTube

Varianta-18.de Sailing-6 - YouTube

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2011

Chimbatete is on a distinguished road
Hi G1000, thats unbelievably cheap (and relatively nice) but I have to be honest, I cant skipper that big a boat. Maybe in 2 to 3 years.

Last edited by Chimbatete; 11-08-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2011

Some posts back I have talked about the Bavaria Vision 46. One of its concurrent in the market is the Jeanneau 44 DS that cost about the same.

On this movie (voile and voiliers) we can see a very interesting comparison between the Jeanneau 44ds and the Jeanneau 439, both new boats. Maybe you don't know but they share the same hull.

The film is French but even if you don't understand you have just to look to find the differences. According with the type of sailors each boat is aimed, the 439 has battened mail with more sail area and the 44ds a furling main.

Besides the exterior look a more difficult movement on the deck, less sail area and the superior wind lateral force (and wave if it hits the boat laterally) on the 44ds the main differences on the interior are the number of steps you have to come down (5 to 3), the felling on the saloon (not necessarily good), the interior design and most of all the much superior back cabin and that is without any doubt a big advantage.

Its up to each sailor to decide if he would trade that back cabin and more light on the saloon to the sailing disadvantages since the difference in price is small, about 3000€. Both boats seem very well designed to me

Movie:

La WebTV de Voiles et Voiliers - Les vidéos

Old 11-08-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimbatete View Post
I cant skipper that big a boat
so go for a smaller one. this nacira 650 for sale for 50k EUR or you can grab dismasted proto 756 for 70k
Old 11-09-2011

The world's fastest cruising yacht

Finot/conq had won an international competition to design the fastest cruising yacht. The boat is a 100ft and is designed for 12 passengers and 3 crew members:

General dimensions

Hull length 30.48m
Beam 8.30m
Draft 5.40m / 3.00m lifting
Displacement 51t
Keel 15t
Water ballasts 9.5t each side
Upwind sail area 690m2
Downwind sail area 1400m2
Fresh water tanks 2000l
Fuel tanks 4000l
Engine 300 CV
Materials Carbon - Epoxy - Nomex - SAN foam

Finot says about the boat:

To attain this goal, the yacht will be a real "Open" typed boat, with a chined hull, probably wider than on any other 100 footer. The lifting keel will allow a deeper draft while sailing, and the boat will be entirely made of carbon, with Nomex interiors, to keep the displacement at a minimum. The mast will rise to 46+ metres above the waterline, and will feature runners to allow for a square-top mainsail. Lateral waterballasts, of more than 9 tons each side, increase the boat's power and limit the heel.

The deck features a huge cockpit, with a guests area, a technical area and a large aft sundeck. The dinghy garage door also serves as a bathing platform. The panoramic coachroof allows a 360° vision to the sea from the deck saloon. The owner's and guests cabins (all but one) are located in front of this saloon. Aft, there is another guests cabin, a technical compartment, the galley, and a comfortable living area for the crew, with a mess, two cabins and two bathrooms.

The boat will be built by Maxi Dolphin, in Italy. François Boucher is the Project Manager.

The general design, shapes, style, appendages, structures, etc are entirely made in-house by finot-conq, as well as the interior architecture.

Decoration will be done by Pierre Frutschi, and the structural validation by Paolo Manganelli of SP.

Look at this beauty:

Just a comment. I really hate to see those 100ft racing with 25 crew members sitting on the side as ballast. That seems to me slave labor and makes no sense on today's world. This one has more than 9000 kg of water ballast on each side, maximized by a considerable beam. That would correspond to about 100 crew members sitting on the side

Last edited by PCP; 11-09-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2011

Many here would agree with this:

"... among the many things I had learnt was, a bigger boat doesn’t make you happier, but it cost more not only to build but also in upkeep. It is also more difficult to manoeuvre and find a place for in harbour. It shore has many advantages like speed and carrying capacity and prestige but they did not mean much for me, so weighing it al together as one has to do I understood that my values and my heart favoured the small one."

But hardly someone would think on one of those to cruise offshore:

and much less to cross the Atlantic.

Well, at the nice age of 72 Yrvind is doing it!

A crazy and irresponsible guy that don't know nothing about sailing and the sea?!!!! Well, a bit crazy he may be but also an incomparably more experienced sailor than myself and probably you. He is doing it AGAIN.

Sven Yrvind (born April 22, 1939 in Gothenburg, Sweden as Sven Lundin) is a Swedish sailor, boat builder, and writer. He is famous for sailing alone across oceans in tiny boats of his own design.

Yrvind designs and builds the boats he sails. The boats lack all forms of electronic communications equipment.

Yrvind built his first boat 'Bris I' in his mothers basement 1971-1972. The boat's size was determined by the size of the basement: length 6.00 meter, width 1.72m, depth 0.40/0.90m.

'Bris II' was built 1976-1978 with the dimensions length 5.90 meter, width 2.40m, depth 1.40m.

A later boat, 'Yrvind', at an ambitious 4.1m, eventually turned out to be too small and too slow to make major ocean passages in cold waters.

Yrvind has made several ocean crossings in his tiny boats. In 1980, Yrvind rounded Cape Horn in 'Bris II', a 20'/5.90m boat of his own design, alone and in the middle of winter, a record for smallest boat to round the Cape. This achievement won Yrvind the 1980 Royal Cruising Club medal for seamanship. In the Roaring Forties he allegedly collided with a whale.

Sven set sail in 'Yrvind 1/2' for Florida on August 11th, 2011.

Sven Yrvind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it is still at the middle of the Ocean. He had arrived safely at Madeira and sailed away at 12 October. I fear for him because this year the Atlantic is particularly bad. The guys from the Jacques Fabre Transat, not very far away from were he is got 60K winds and huge winds. One open 60 broke and sank and many other boats, crippled, had to retire from the race and return to Açores.

You can follow is route here:

Welcome to Sven Yrvind- the official website

Now about the boat that seems very interesting to me, it has 4.8 meter and it is inspired by Matt Layden's "Paradox"

PARADOX.

The boat is built with divinycell, fiberglass, carbon fiber and epoxy and it is a lot nicer than paradox. One of the interesting features is the absence of keel, centerboard or any movable foils. The boat can go upwind siting on especially designed chines, a system invented by Layden.

Take a look at the boat (movie):

And don't miss this:

My Life

This is the autobiographic life story of Yrvind and it should be made in a book. It is truly amazing. I would say that I was reading a story by Kurt Vonnegut, except this one is for real What a character, what a story!!!
mitiempo likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Take a look at Yrvind demonstrates his boat. Ocean crossing on micro-cruising boat is just crazy stuff!

Last edited by G1000; 11-09-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2011

Beautiful and fast boat, the Grand Soleil 39 and with a good cruising interior, I really like this one:

I have already posted about this one but I could not resist to these nice images and there is a new test sail and a movie of it by the sail magazine SoloVela. Once again very nice, a boat that will not go out of fashion because it is not fashionable , it is just classic. Its has the simplicity and beauty of a truly great design.

Take a look at the movie, a nice one:

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2011

New test with sail video for the Dehler 41, from the German magazine "Yacht".

MOVIE:

Dehler 41: Variantenreich, schick und agil - YACHT-TV*|*YACHT.DE

A great performance cruiser at a good price, but I still don't like the interior

Old 11-10-2011

For the ones that "feel" that light boats are not strong enough I have something to show: A movie with the incredible rescue of a boat from the beach.

The story is simple, one of the racers from the last mini transat just closed the eyes and as he was very tired he sleep a bit more than what he intended and end up on the beach.

After finishing a lot of other solo racers went to give a help and with a fishing boat pulling they managed to put the boat on the water.

The images are impressive and this was the second rescue attempt (the first one failed). That boat not only suffered from being battered by waves and breakers (bad weather, this day was the one with the better sea) and from being pulled two times and yet the only damage was on the rudders.

Congratulations to the structures shipyard, the ones that make the Pogo (the boat was a mini Pogo 2), for the quality and resistance of its boats and congratulations to the team spirit and solidarity of the mini racers

The MOVIE (from Voile et Voiliers):

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/les-...-renaud-mary-/

Actually that solo sailor made a mistake: He let, relatively near the coast, the boat in autopilot in wind mode while taking a nap. I now that wind mode is very convenient but when you take a nap neat the coast it is a forbidden thing. The wind can change (and it changed) and the boat just follows the wind and in this case the wind just take it to the shore breakers resulting in a hard landing on the beach.

Last edited by PCP; 11-12-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.