Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1240Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I don't like center cockpits in small boats. In less than 45 ft they just make the boat high and ugly and even 45 is a bit small for a nice sailboat.

Saare has released recently its new 38 and frankly the boat looks a lot better to me than its first boat, the center cockpit Saare 41.

Well not anymore, the Estonian shipyard has just announced a remake of the 41, but now as a aft cockpit boat.

It is much better looking, 600kg lighter, it will be a better sailboat and even without the 600kg, not a light one with its 9.9 of displacement.

The basic price is 327 600 € (including 17%VAT) but the boat will come with a lot of equipment like teak deck, AGM batteries and a diesel heater. Not cheap if compared with a jeanneau 409 but a lot less expensive than a Malo a Najad a Halberg Rassy or a X Yacht.

Last edited by PCP; 11-10-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2011

Do you know Saffier daysailors and week-end cruisers? They are well known in Europe since the smaller one won last year the European boat of the year contest. Saffier is a small Dutch shipyard specialized in high quality daysailors and weekend cruisers.

The boat are classic in appearance but have a modern bulbed keel and a spade rudder, are light and made with modern materials. The wooden old loock is just that, a look

The one I like more is the classic 10m week-end sailing boat that really is a beauty:

[IMG]http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy322/Paulo_Carvalho/Saffier_Sc10
m_009.jpg[/IMG]

The boat is light and has a high D/B ratio (it needed to have with that narrow hull) and contrary to what one could except is not boring to sail, just take a look at this movie from a sail test from Zeilen magazine :

MOVIE:

Saffier Sc 10M - Sport - Video - Zie.nl

Technical specifications Sc 10 m.

length 10,00 meter
width 2,50 meter
draught 1,13 meter
total weight 2,4 ton
keel weight 1 ton
mainsail 23,5 m2
jib 15,2 m2
light weather Genua 19,8 m2
gennaker 58 m2
spinnaker 52 m2
Old 11-11-2011

Lecture for the weekend:

"HINTS AND ADVICE
on rigging and tuning
of your Seldén mast"

http://www.c-yacht.com/upload/files/...igging_ENG.pdf

This is a quite complete manual. It is a Selden one but what they say applies to most masts.
Old 11-12-2011

Some very rich guys have the good taste of having big beautiful sailboats instead of motorboats and they like to race. Take a look at these beautiful movies:

But you don't need to be rich to have a lot of fun sailing (theses guys are crazy). Beautiful traditional boats:

Last edited by PCP; 11-12-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2011

jppp is on a distinguished road
That Last video is fantastic! That is pure sailing joy
Angler 204 Cuddy-, Crushed in Hurricane Sandy
Yes all true, No wonder no one will go on the water with me.
Old 11-14-2011

A post about a really extreme boat, a narrow one, a boat that is commercialized in America, is designed by an Australian and is made in Singapore: the Admiralty 30 OD.

The boat has a deep draft and a very strangely designed bulb. I think that it is designed to creates an up-force and that helps the boat to plan sooner.

This movie was made with a a Swede one, imported by a local racer. He have been racing it with success. Jimmy Hellberg was close to win with it the big class in the Round Gotland offshore race (2th) one of the biggest races in Sweden.

He says about the boat:

"It's pretty damn funny when you sometimes can keep the same speed of a 50fter in a small 30-footer ."

I'm used to plan and sail alone, as I sail a lot of surfing and the IOM (radio-controlled boat). I think that sailing should be fun, easy and inexpensive and does not involve as many people. Because then becomes increasingly complicated. After having taken some bigger boats I got tired of constantly pick up the crew and found the Admiralty 30 - a perfect boat is really fast even though you are alone or with two sails.

The narrow hull cleaves efficiently waves resulting in a very comfortable ride, even in rough seas, and the long foredeck makes it surprisingly dry back in the cockpit. The hull has almost no form stability, the stability is provided by the deep and 700 kg heavy bulb, making the boat heeled a lot initially but then the boat starts to get a lot of RM and ends up to be very stiff.

the boat is easy it to sail with littlet work. It has a self-tacking furler jib, fixed bowsprit, gennaker instead of spinnaker, mainsail with a fathead and without back brace ...The boat is completely focused on racing and Jimmy has already sailed Gotland Runt with it.

There is hardly a cabin but there is enough space under the deck to take a nap and get shelter. It is never boring as in a larger boat whenthe only thing to do is often just sitting on the rail. Here you are constantly active.

Because you can raise the keel and the rudder is in a cartridge the boat can easily be trailed.

The boat is extreme but fantastically exciting to sail and I think you get a lot of boat for the money.

Technical characteristics

LOA 29' 11" 900 cm

LWL 27' 11 851 cm

Beam 5' 8" 173 cm

Draft (keel down) 7' 2" 220 cm

Draft (keel up) 2' 4" 71 cm

Displacement 2,425 lbs 1,100 kg

Ballast 1,543 lbs 700 kg

Sail Area 430 sf 40 sm

Spinnaker Area 612 sf 53 sm

SA/DSPL 30.63

It uses as auxiliary just a small outboard and that will give it plenty power.

The boat price in the States is $51,995.00-

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
Take a look at Yrvind demonstrates his boat. Ocean crossing on micro-cruising boat is just crazy stuff!
I had missed that one. Obviously Yrvind gives a lot of thought to each detail and this boat has good materials everywhere, lots of carbon.

While I was looking at it I found this one with Bris, its older boat, a much less researched one to my eyes, but that nonetheless had taken him and is Girl first from France to Ireland and then from France to Terra Nova (New found land).

What I really found delicious is the way he found to transport the boat

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-14-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2011

They had already shown a sketch but these are the first realistic drawings of the Dufour 36 performance and it looks a very promising boat. It looks beautiful to me

Technical Specifications

LOA : 10,99 m
LWL : 10,21 m
Beam: 3,61 m
Draft: 2,20 m
Weight: 6,4 t
Ballast/ratio: 1,9 t / 31%
Main sail: 40,6 m˛
Genoa (114%): 31,5 m˛

The boat with a beam of 3,61m and a 31% ballast ratio, with all the ballast down in a bulb down at 2.2m, is going to be stiff. 31% does not appear to be a lot but that 31% would correspond to a much bigger number if the boat had instead a non bulbed fin keel with a smaller draft.

With a similar keel and with the bulb 25cm up (less 25cm of draft) the Jeanneau 379 has a B/D ratio of 26,5%. No, it is not the Jeanneau that has a bad B/D ratio. On another thread with some basic calculations I estimated that ratio would roughly correspond to the same GZ of the Catalina 385.

It really is the new Dufour that will be a very stiff boat. I hope they will not change those numbers
Old 11-15-2011

daviid is on a distinguished road
Dufour 36e

Hi Paulo

That dufour 36e looks like a real beauty.

Any idea when they are planning to make it available and pricing?

My calcs show the following:

D/L - 168 - will be a good light wind performer
SA/D - 19.2 - fairly low compared to Salona 38 which is 26.4 ...
B/D - 29.7 - this what my calculator shows but I am sure that AVS will be high given the depth of the keel and the bulb
L/B - 3.04 - moderate beam by modern standards
Draught - 2.2m - may be too deep if you are planning to use it as a performance cruiser - I am sure that the standard version will be around 1.95

There is definitely space for a 36e in their lineup given that they have the 34 e and the 40e is the next one up in terms of size.

I like the position of the galley ( not a bow to stern layout) as well and the fact that they are offering it with 2 berths as opposed to 3.

All the best

David
Old 11-15-2011

Frederick32 is on a distinguished road
-----------------------------------------