Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Do you know the Finn class sailboats? It is hardly newit is around since 1949 but certainly it is an interesting sailboat, if it was not, it would not have lasted so long, as an Olympic class:

Just look at this movie. I am still laughing
That looks a lot like Gulliver sailing in the Volvo ocean race.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I had not time to post today. I have been busy with the possible order of a Salona 38 for me and the specifications I want on the boat. The good news are things are looking good.

One of the things I did not like was the instruments out in the front cockpit and the plotter on the chart table. With a two wheel setup is difficult to have a nice pod set up that does not the boat look ugly. Look at this one they are proposing...not bad!

And about the keel and the bowsprit it seems that I am not the only one that want them. Just look at this new 41, prepared to do some serious racing, with the keel and bowsprit I want. They have already develop them

By the way, a new test on the Salona 41 by Yachtingworld magazine. They say about it:

The Salona 41 is a very sporty cruising boat, easily handled by a crew of two, and a real looker to boot. She is built to a high standard and is fitted with top of the range kit, including Harken winches. She has superb hull-keel strength from the lead keel being built over a steel skeleton which bolts onto the hull cage.

PERFORMANCE
Salona has sold yachts to sailors who have competed in the Sydney-Hobart Race, which gives some idea of their performance. But she holds her sail well, is easily driven and effortlessly sailed short-handed.

AT THE HELM
Twin carbon fibre wheels are mounted astern of her German mainsheet system: a necessity for such a tall rig so the helmsman can reach the Harken 40, two-speed self-tailers.

DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
The vacuum infused hull comprises a solid laminate on the bottom and hand- laminated polyester elsewhere. There are watertight bulkheads in bow and stern.

Verdict

For: Excellent design and construction
Against: Unsteady chart table

I would be surprised if Salona did not become a household name among British sailors over the next decade.

Scores

Performance 10/10
Design and Construction 10/10
Sail Plan 10/10
Helm 10/10
Deck Layout 9/10
Living Below 9/10
Chart Table 5/10
Galley 8/10
Maintenance 9/10

Salona 41 boat test | Single-Hull Boat Reviews | Yachting Monthly

Well, nothing new, I had already have said to you guys that this is a great boat

Last edited by PCP; 11-27-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2011

h20man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Marty,
Actually I find the Opium 39 a good looking boat.

About the boat and its speed potential I think you would like to read this boat test:

http://www.wauquiez.com/presse/opium...NV-2010-FR.pdf

The Translation is really bad. This is the translation of a test by the Doitch magazine "Yacht". "Yacht" is in my opinion probably the best sailing boat magazine (and I know a lot of them) and they don't like particularly French boats. They normally like X-Yacht, Arcona, Luffe, Finngulf, Swan and the like. I believe that I never heard them say so well about a French boat.

Look at the wind speed and the boat speed. I have sailed the same boat (the one in the photo) with about the same wind and I can tell you that those numbers are for real. The boat sails not far away from wind speed.

Regards

Paulo
this URL brings up the English version of the article:
http://www.wauquiez.com/presse/opium...NV-2010-EN.pdf
Old 11-27-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I had not time to post today. I have been busy with the possible order of a Salona 38 for me and the specifications I want on the boat. The good news are things are looking good. ...
It seems you are about to make your decision, Paulo .

This is indeed a real cruiser-racer, very well built and considering your preference for more traditional designs with a comfortable interior, an excellent choice in my honest opinion.

I hope Salona will be able to meet your final demands and I very much look forward to your opinion, this time as an owner.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 11-28-2011

nemier is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to hear your final verdict Paulo!!
The Salona is a fine yacht!
Old 11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
It seems you are about to make your decision, Paulo .

This is indeed a real cruiser-racer, very well built and considering your preference for more traditional designs with a comfortable interior, an excellent choice in my honest opinion.

I hope Salona will be able to meet your final demands and I very much look forward to your opinion, this time as an owner.

Best regards,

Eric
Thanks Eric,

Actually I am quite certain I am going to like you as much in flesh and bone as I like to "talk" with you on the net, so you are invited to pass some days on my boat In Croatia and then you can see for yourself the differences to your new boat.

I have no doubt that the Pogo 12.50 will be an exhilarating boat to sail and a lot of fun, specially downwind over 20K.

I guess that the differences that led you to choose that one and I to chose another one (taking in consideration that I could not afford the Pogo 12.50) is because I like to voyage a lot, mostly on the med where there are not trade winds and also because I intend to live in the boat for some months each year. Even in what regards sail performance I value differently sailing qualities, and that of course, has to do with the use it is going to be given to the boat and with personal preferences.

I have been many times at sea when many others are ashore, I mean when the wind blows between 20 and 35K and I had done in those conditions a lot of miserable upwind sailing with short waves to make it worse.

This time I want a boat that can do that a lot better than the previous one and one that can make it more comfortably, in what regards sea motion. I want an all around good and strong fast sailing boat with a good interior, a boat that I can afford. Also a powerful boat in bad weather, a stiff boat and a very fast boat in light winds.

I am sure I would have a lot more fun sailing downwind, even with heavy weather and high winds on your boat than on mine but I also know that upwind in heavy weather mine is going to be fast, more comfortable and easier to drive. Well, probably not faster, because your's is bigger

In fact my choice has nothing to do with liking the shapes of "traditional" fast boats. I like them as much as the shape of some boats that are derived from Solo Offshore boats, like the Pogo or the new JPK. It is not the shape but the differences in performance while sailing, not better or worse, but better in some things , worse in others.

By the way, have you seen the performance on the last days of the French 40ft Pogo that is making the ARC? Awesome. On transats these boats are at its best.

World Cruising Club Arc fleet viewer

I also heard about several guys that are going to circumnavigate (cruising) on these boats (with a bettered interior even if worse than the one from the Pogo 12.50). Circumnavigating you go mostly with the trade winds and that boat makes sense if they don't mind the boat to be a bit Spartan.

Actually to me that does not makes much difference while sailing. It is more while living on the boat at the marina or at anchor that I find the need of a more "warmer" boat, but that is just me

So, Bottom line, when are you going to have your new Pogo 12.50?

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Looking forward to hear your final verdict Paulo!!
The Salona is a fine yacht!
Hi Nemier,

Actually I have accepted today the offer from Salona to buy a 38. I am waiting for a contract with the leasing guys.

I have been in contact with the guys from Salona for about a year, first about the 41 (that I charted for a week in the summer) and later about the 38. The 38 was released on the summer and I had the opportunity to sail the first boat in the water, this one:

I loved it from the beginning and the boat has enough space for us, it is fast enough, easier to put and to take out of the marina and the sails are not as big as the ones on the 41, making an easier boat to sail solo, not to mention, a less expensive one.

Basically I had already decided it would be a Salona because between the affordable fast and light boats this is probably the stronger, with its stainless steel grid to take the keel and the shroud efforts and with with an optional all vinilester/epoxy hull. The boat has also waterproof bulkheads aft and at the bow, and because Salona is the only affordable production shipyard that will modify their boats to meet my needs in all that it is possible and that was really a lot

For example, I wanted a boat less pointed to cruising and racing, but more pointing to a fast cruising boat with offshore good qualities, a very stiff boat that could sail well upwind without having guys on the side.

Not that the boat has a bad stability. It has already a good Ballast/displacement ratio for this type of keel and draft and a comparative good one if compared with most cruising boats of this size, but I wanted more:

I wanted to substitute the keel they have in the boat by an heavier and better performance one, one that was not designed for the best results on handicap racing, but for pure performance and that without adding much weight would give me a more powerful boat, specially in bad weather with a better reserve stability and a better AVS.

Well, it is done and at a price I do not found prohibitive.

I wanted a nice pole for the geenaker. I have discussed with them several models and they have already showed the preliminary drawings to me: A carbon one, the type Grand Soleil and x yachts are using that incorporates the anchor and bow roller. A nice design.

Done, and again at an affordable price.

I did not like the stow away cockpit table that was heavy and not very stable (the same type as on the 41). I talked to them and they said that they were going to look at it.

They have send me the designs: Nicely designed.

I complained about the instruments that were, like all boats that are also used for race, too far away, over the cabin entry. They have showed to me the available pods in the market: All ugly. They have said they were going to look at it. They have sent me the preliminar drawings (I have posted them already), nicely designed and I have no doubts, they will be well made.

I could go on for a long time, from permanent jack lines to places to hook the harness passing by lateral handgrabs on the spraywood, to a removable textile stay, to a Spade instead of their standard anchor, to a custom transom pole to the radar and a special support to carry the dingy on the transom, the list would be long not to mention the many options they have to customize the boat.

I guess they do that with clients that ask them things that actually can improve the boat, they do that to cruisers and they do that for racers too, but in this case in what regards pure performance and a faster and more competitive boat.

They say in its publicity:

Every Salona is a result of teamwork of external and internal designers among which we are proud to mention J&J Salona 38 designers, Jason Ker (keel optimization), many Olympic and professional sailors, interior
designers, suppliers and most importantly existing cruising or racing Salona customers.

http://www.salonayachts.com/documents/PR_Salona38.pdf

There are many that say things like these, normally bullsh*t except that in this case it is actually true

And how about you? You are the most strange guy I know about choosing a boat Specially considering you have a lot of sailing experience. I guess it has to have with your wife

Maybe that cat idea was not so bad in what regards your wive, providing you don't take her offshore (you can fly her). I saw some days ago a new cat from that brand of African cats that called my attention: Electric engines recharged by the sailing. I mean when you sail without engine the batteries are charged by the propellers. They say it is fast and that it works. Too good to be true but I will follow that even if it is out of my budget.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-28-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the Salona - looks to be a very nice boat and something I'll have to look to charter next spring in Croatia! Still on the fence regarding own vs. charter as I'm 4 hours minimum from the Med with 2 young children which makes it prohibitive for the long weekend trips. We will see in due time...

Send your detailed review when you pick up your boat. And may the day you buy it be immeasurably more rewarding than the day you sell it!!
Old 11-28-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Paulo, finally And I hope it will meet all your expectations. Congratulations!
Old 11-28-2011

Thank you guys, but I really would have preferred to hear those congratulations after the leasing guys said OK, just in case

BB, I had never had charted before I sold the Bavaria and I had nice experiences sailing a new Dufour 425 and this year a new Salona 41.

Sailing a new 38/40ft top boat in summer on a top cruising ground it will cost a between 2500 and 3000€ a week.

To have a boat like the Salona 38 on a top cruising ground on the med, including insurance, annual marina and maintenance will cost about 10 000€ a year and not counting with the boat devaluation. That will permit to charter a top new boat on a top cruising ground between 3 to 4 weeks.

The obvious conclusion is that it is only worth to have a boat if you sail more than a month a year. Most people don't have the time for that and that's why the charter marker has been raising each year.

That's not the case with me that will certainly be sailing much more than that, now that I am semi-retired.

And about the boat....I will not have no intention to sell this one in the future. This one was chose with care to be my boat.

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.