Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Looking at the boats at the ARC Rally, today's boat is a surprise for me: A almost new Contest 62 that is making a very fast rally ahead of many boats that theoretically should be fast.

World Cruising Club Arc fleet viewer

The boats is among the leading boats, just at short distance of the Pogo 40 and not far away of the Oyester 48 we talk on a previous test. Big deal you would say, it is a 62 ft boat. Yes but is also a luxuriant push pull button sailing boat, not properly a boat that one thought fast. Well, it is.

Contest are not very well known in America but was a popular boat in Europe. It was a kind of Dutch Halberg Rassy, perhaps even considered stronger and it is a highly sought boat on the used market for the ones that want a voyage boat. But then, probably because the boat was expensive they stop making small boats and dedicated themselves only to make big luxuriant boats and much of the mystic went away.

well, luxurious, push button and all, it seems that they are still making dam good boats

Contest Yachts | 62CS

Edit:

Well, the Contest just overtake the Pogo 40 and the Oyster 48

Big battle for line honors between the big 90ft maxi and the 50ft trimaran.

Last edited by PCP; 12-01-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Was looking at a local freeby rag, 48north.......local tartan dealer's add had something that said what I thought "new28", along with the normal other Tartans......looked online......interesting little 26' boat to say the least! now will it sell etc.....

Tartan Yachts Article

Going back to the express 37. There are a few of them here in puget sound. One, Declaration of Independence. or DoI won the 48north best of the top 25 yearly for about 5 or 6 maybe 7 yrs running. Others also won a lot of races too. The DOI disappeared. Not sure if Brian still owns it, or retired her.........Very fast boats.

Marty
Old 12-02-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
then another tartan/c&c new boat
C&C Yachts Article - Introducing The New C&C 101

Hopefully maybe sorta kinda another NA builder will start building some neat designed boats eh!

anyway, late here on the left coast of NA, so how is tomorrow working out for all the rest of the 22 or 23 times zones ahead of me in the world?

marty
Old 12-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Was looking at a local freeby rag, 48north.......local tartan dealer's add had something that said what I thought "new28", along with the normal other Tartans......looked online......interesting little 26' boat to say the least! now will it sell etc.....

Tartan Yachts Article

Going back to the express 37. There are a few of them here in puget sound. One, Declaration of Independence. or DoI won the 48north best of the top 25 yearly for about 5 or 6 maybe 7 yrs running. Others also won a lot of races too. The DOI disappeared. Not sure if Brian still owns it, or retired her.........Very fast boats.

Marty
Thanks Marty,

Yes, it looks to be a very nice daysailer, fast and beautiful and it seems that it is only the first of a new series and that bigger boats will follow:

The Fantail Series is the first new model development by Jackett Yacht Design and Development for Tartan Yachts. The Fantail Series is available in three configurations; The DS (Daysailor), WE (Weekender), and the ST (Sail Trainer). All three feature classic good looks, “sit in” not “sit on” sailing, efficient high performance and a “green” sailing experience.

The hull form is a contemporary shape without extremes, designed to deliver predictable and rewarding performance. She has a fine entry forward with plenty of hull volume in the topsides to properly balance the full aft sections. Through her mid body the sections are vee'd for a sea kindly motion.Running aft the sections are broad and flat for great stability and off the wind performance. The freeboard must be carefully balanced to provide adequate sitting headroom below, a dry ride on deck and exceptional good looks.The Fantail strikes the perfect balance. The Fantail is not a “retro design” or bare bones, white-knuckle race boat, but rather a well-mannered, high performance, contemporary design with classic lines.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
then another tartan/c&c new boat
C&C Yachts Article - Introducing The New C&C 101

Hopefully maybe sorta kinda another NA builder will start building some neat designed boats eh!

anyway, late here on the left coast of NA, so how is tomorrow working out for all the rest of the 22 or 23 times zones ahead of me in the world?

marty
Olé!, this one seems to be made for you Marty.

Very nice boat with impressive specs! A truly modern design.

Designer Comments

From the bottom of her lead keel bulb, to the tip of her carbon fiber mast, the new C&C 101 is designed and built to accommodate the discerning sailor. The C&C 101 offers a hull design that is built to maximize performance on the water and incorporates the most advanced boatbuilding technology in the market.

An ergonomic deck layout with a wide open cockpit and an easily handled sailplan eliminates the need for an army of crew and guarantees to put a smile on all those who sail her.A functional interior to meet the needs of overnighting and distance racing eliminates parasitic weight, minimizes maintenance and guarantees maximum time on the water.

The all new C&C 101 is fast, fun, and functional.

The C&C 101 hull is designed to maximize overall performance without trending to any extreme, creating a boat that offers exhilarating performance on all points of sail. Her nearly 11 foot beam offersexcellent form stability and in conjunction with the 6'6” bulbed lead keel provides the stiffness to support a sail area to displacement ratio of 25.8.

With a BPA modified epoxy infused hull and deck, optimized uni-directional e-glass laminates, and synthetic hull coring, the 101 is the stiffest, lightest and strongest hull structure available in her size range amongst production builders.

The 101 features a fractional carbon fiber mast, carbon fiber rudder post and retractable carbon fiber bow sprit.Co-engineered by C&C Yachts and SP Systems, the world leader in composite engineering and materials technology....

...The retractable carbon fiber bow sprit and masthead asymmetrical spinnakers ensure exhilarating off wind performance while making the sailplan easily manageable when cruising or shorthanded.

Below decks, the new C&C 101 offers refined luxury in line with her pedigree.Lightweight composite components combined with varnished cherry cabinetry and laminated curved trims provide a spacious and comfortable interior while minimizing weight. Bulkheads are attached to hull, deck and interior components using engineered adhesives and epoxy resins; adding stiffness to the hull structure without adding weight....

Aerospace quality composites, modern construction techniques and careful attention to detail afford the 101 with an interior arrangement that belies her performance capabilities...

Tom McNeill, C&C 101 Designer

I hope they can make it affordable because this just seems to be a very interesting boat

The only thing I don't understand is the tankage. This boat with a super sailing performance will only need the engine as an auxiliary and a 18hp diesel engine needs very little fuel to keep running. I don't understand why this boat needs a 75L fuel tank. A 35/50 L tank would be more than enough and those extra 40L would be better employed in water tankage. 113L of water seems a bit short to me.

Design Dimensions

LOA.....33'0” (10.0 m)
Beam.....10' 11-1/2”(3.34 m)
Draft.....6'6”(1.98 m)
Displacement......8100 lbs (3674 kg)

Capacities
Fuel.....20 gallons (75.7 l)
Water.....30 gallons (113.6 l)
Auxiliary.....18 hp diesel saildrive
Berths.....6

Sail Dimensions
Sail Area.....671 sq ft (62.3 sq m)

Mainsail Area.....399 sq ft (37.06 sq m)
100% Foretriangle.....272 sq ft (25.27 sq m)
Bridge Clearance.....54'6”(16.61 m)
Ballast/Displacment......40
Displacement/Length.....136

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-02-2011

This time Golias beat David, but just by a little bit

I am talking about the ARC rally where the 93ft Maxi racer Med Spirit (ex Bols) beat by about 1 hour the cruiser/racer Rayon Vert (a Pulsar 50ft trimaran that had already circumnavigate while cruising).

The 17 guys crew on the Maxi had finally managed to beat the 5 guys crew (father and son, more three friends) on the trimaran, that lead most of the race.

Some Images of the 2003 93ft canting keel Med spirit, and a movie:

MOVIE:

Bols Maxi - YouTube

The Gunboat 66 Cat and maxi Rothmans racing boat have already arrived and VAQUITA, the 40ft Aquilaria racer is also very near, leaving the rest of the boats way back.

Some thought about the first to arrive: All the monohulls that constituted the first pack (far away from all the others) were racing boats, two big maxis and a small 40class racer. The two multihulls that had a similar performance were cruiser/racers, being the Gunboat 66 a luxurious cruiser, while the Pulsar 50 offers a good but more spartan accommodation.

http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/new...ID=173629&src=

http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/viewer.aspx

Last edited by PCP; 12-02-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2011

May I also call your attention to Optim'x, a French X-40 very well crewed that has made a great race and it is now on a strategic position to a very fast finish, overtaking several much bigger boats?

World Cruising Club Arc fleet viewer

I think that among small performance cruisers this is going to be the first to finish beating a British First 40.

The X 40 is yet on the line of x yachts, but it will be replaced soon by a faster and more modern boat, but as it is, it is a delightful cruiser with all amenities and interior comfort while maintaining a very good sailing performance.

Old 12-02-2011

Well, that one is out of topic, but it is so beautiful and frighten I had to share it with you. It is about sea and boats and remember us that we all sail in small boats and that the sea can be huge

Old 12-02-2011

We have already talked here about the Pacer, a very interesting South African boat (race and performance cruiser) that has started a world wide expansion. It has already dealers in several European countries.

The boats are very well designed and have an interesting price.

Some interesting videos, this one about fast sailing (the better comes after the middle):

And this one about the 400. I have already posted about the boat and it is the one that I find more interesting for cruising. The boat has a good interior with closed cabins and a warm ambiance. Great stability on a fast boat.

Last edited by PCP; 12-02-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2011

Pacer are great boats but as all boats it has a limit and when you really push the envelope....