Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Beautiful movie. Don't miss this one

A sail celebration: Old and new boats, young and old sailors all together sharing sail pleasure in Seattle, USA.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2011

Very nice movie from North Sails:

And also very interesting movie from Delta voiles about a very interesting new furling sail that is a mix of a spinnaker with a gennaker and also and occasion to see the beautiful XC 42 sailing with light wind:

If you want to know more or discuss it, I opened a thread about this new sail:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...spinnaker.html
Old 12-03-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
need to watch the seattle sailing movie, but I believe fromt he front still, that is a duck dodge race on lk union. not too many rules, no real sponsors per say. Rule #1 is "don't hit the ducks" this can mean feather style, or the MANY amphibious "DUCK" boat/cars that do tours here in Seattle.

That C&C looks like a possible boat, now if I can get funds together etc.

Marty
Old 12-03-2011

Looking at the ARC Rally:

World Cruising Club Arc fleet viewer

Vaquita, the 40ft class 40 has already arrived making an incredible passage in 12 days and it was the first boat from the racing class to arrive leaving the next one, a Swan 56 at 36 hours

That French X40 that I had talked about yesterday (Optim'st) is also making a hell of a passage, coming down at almost 9K and closing on the 83ft it has ahead (a Camper and Nicholson). They have been making equal game with a Shipman 63, a very fast boat. This shows how fast is that boat and how good are the ones that are crewing it. Chapeau

But today's boat is a cat, a 58ft cat, the Wave 58 "Santa Maria". The wave 58 is not one of those cats that are aiming primarily for performance, this boat has a great interior, a living interior. I guess that with a space like that I would consider to sell my house and live all time in a boat. Of course this boat even if not expensive for its quality and size would pay a fortune in any Med marina

The boat is making a great passage considering that he has not a race crew (they were taking "passengers" for the ARC) and is a bit ahead of that X 40 I was talking about.

And don't miss these 360º photos, they show well the interior quality (put it in full screen)

Wave 58 "Sta Maria" | Wave Catamarans

The boat is going to stay on charter on the Caribbean, maybe some of you will end up enjoying it.

Last edited by PCP; 12-03-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2011

Some posts back I talked about Hetairos, the new beautiful super yacht with a traditional look designed by Dykstra:

First race, first victory: The boat won the Trans-Atlantic Super Yacht Regatta leaving the most close pursuer at 400Nm. It crossed in a bit more than 8 days, with an average speed of 15.12 knots. That's fast

Beautiful, classic and fast. I like this one
Old 12-03-2011

And also for the ones that read French (if not you can use google translater) a very interesting interview with Jimmy Cornell in Voile and Voiliers:

Interview du «pape» de la grande croisière Jimmy Cornell : «En Papouasie, on s

Notice the 3 boats that he chose for his voyages and his evolution in what regards the perfect cruising long range cruiser (pictures on the article):

The first one, an heavy 36ft Trintella Ketch, almost a motorsailer (sailed with it 6 years), than a probably faster but heavy steel 40ft center cockpit an one off designed by Bill Dixon (sailed with it 5 years) and the last one, an aluminium centerboard, an OVNI 43 (sailed with it 13 years and made 70000nm).

When asked what boat he would chose now to circumnavigate he said:

"An aluminium centerboarder, probably the Allures 45."

He said also regarding long range cruisers (translated):

"I advocate for light cruising sailboats, but in the Anglo-Saxon countries, the idea is struggling to win! This is less true in France ..."

And when they ask:

"What is your view about the development of cruising sailboats"?

He says:

The racing sailboats have evolved rapidly in recent years, as opposed to cruising yachts. The racing yacht design has not yet sent all its developments to the world of cruising yacht design.

At a conference the other day, I was asked, "Why is there is no (liquid?) ballast on cruise ships?" And it's a good question!

Cruising sailboats are more comfortable and more spacious, but they are not really exciting and it is the fault of the cruising sailors who feel that going at 6 knots its all right ... The boats are often still too heavy in their displacement and rudders not strong enough.

Well, talks the voice of experience. It is refreshing to hear his opinion after all those books (12) and articles by John Vigor defending the heavy good old boats as the only good offshore boats

It is worth to remember that the main Vigor offshore experience was 1 transat in a heavy 30ft while Cornell has circumnavigated several times, made more than 200000Nm in all the oceans, including the Arctic and the Antarctic and has circumnavigated in heavy and light boats, having a huge experience with both type of boats.

blt2ski and EricKLYC like this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-03-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2011

Well, and after this expert opinion what better than to have another look at one of those light exciting boats that have taken a lot of developments from racing yachts and the ones that are more relevant for cruising, small solo ocean racers, I am talking about Pogo that has made available some interesting and nice movies:

This one show its hi-tech manufacturing facility and several boats being built (hey Eric, which of those is your's?).

Chantier Naval Structures from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

About the Pogo 12.50 (Eric's boat)

Pogo 12.50 , Chantier Naval Structures from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

About the Pogo 10.50

Pogo 10.50 , Chantier Naval Structures from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

About the racing class40

Untitled from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

Last edited by PCP; 12-04-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
This one show its hi-tech manufacturing facility and several boats being built (hey Eric, which of those is your's?).
Unfortunately none of these, Paulo! When they started infusing our hull, the 12.50 you see being launched was already in the water. This is what ours looked like when we last visited the yard five weeks ago.

Van Drop Box

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 12-05-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2011

Well, I was wrong. The Salona 35 is not yet on the water. I was fooled by one of the best photo-realistic images I have ever seen. This one (now bigger):

But I have some news, the price will start at 99 500€ with special prices for first boats. The boat comes with only one interior, this one:

And they released the polar speed prediction:

This are the speeds with the genoa and main. As you can see, as in the Salona 41 I sail this summer, the speeds with light wind are very good:

The boat can make 4.8K with 4k wind, with 5.5K with 5K wind and 6.2 with 6K wind. I wonder with a geenaker at 90º what would be the speed with 4K wind? probably 6K

Downwind the speed is also very good. the boat makes 9.3K at 90º with 25k wind and over 10K at 110º. This is a very good performance for a 35ft boat

with spinnaker with 25K at 130º the boat makes 10.5K and I wonder what speed it will make with a really strong wind like 30 or 35K. I guess this boat will be able to go at 12/13K.

I will be very curious to see this boat at Dusseldorf boat show. If the interior is as good as the drawing lead to believe, it will be a very interesting boat
Old 12-05-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Pacer are great boats but as all boats it has a limit and when you really push the envelope....

Guy was lucky he had a vest on and didn't bang is head going over - 10 mins is a long time with the water at 11° and with the wave conditions and visibility.

Another reason an overlapping foresail is pretty important if you want to power down without having to drop the main.

Having a guy in the water and the other guy with the camera still filming the crew and boat as opposed to acting as the spotter seems a bit dumb if you ask me but I guess they'll learn by trial and error. It may seem benign at hte moment, but any MOB should be taken very seriously - surely more important than a youtube vid.