Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
There is no guy with the camera! Most likely it is GoPro HD camera mounted on pole.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Norwegian article about J/111, Xp44, Grand Soleil 50 and Pogo 12.50: Fantastic sharp sailors

Last edited by G1000; 12-05-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2011

bb74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
There is no guy with the camera! Most likely it is GoPro HD camera mounted on pole.
OK - that makes me feel better about that crew... Thanks for catching that - I didn't want to come across as a jerk but I hadn't thought about that option
Old 12-07-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
I’m sure Paulo will come across this litlle boat at the Nautic in Paris, intended to be a used as a dinghy: the Albatros, designed by Jean-Marie Finot.

Interesting Sailboats-albatros_jung.jpg

A very particular dingy, since the “daggerboard” is in fact ballasted with 30kg of lead, making the boat much more stable and forgiving than one would expect. It pivots under the hull, a design also seen on the First Class 8 and the cruising Pogo’s. But it also seems to cant automatically, in a way I don’t quite understand.

Interesting Sailboats-plan_voilure.jpg

Otherwise it looks a lot like a mini Pogo with one rudder, don’t you think?

Interesting Sailboats-238_w.jpg

Interesting Sailboats-646_w.jpg

It also seems to behave in a similar way, intended to be sailed with a little heel and able to plane quickly, even upwind.

Carbon mast, retractable bowsprit, textile rigging and built in a light and rigid material called Evolite which is also used in automobiles.

It is also said to be very safe, without requiring athletic capacities to be sailed well

Interesting Sailboats-137_w.jpg

Finot and their partners intend to build this boat in very large numbers, at a standard price of € 6.000.
Both Voiles Magazine and Voiles & Voiliers test sailed it and were quite enthousiastic.

Best regards,

Eric

Last edited by EricKLYC; 12-07-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
Norwegian article about J/111, Xp44, Grand Soleil 50 and Pogo 12.50: Fantastic sharp sailors
Interesting

All main European boat magazines are testing those boats that are nominated for the European boat of the year, those comments come from the Guys from Seilas, the Norse magazine and even if the google translation is a bit funny, it seems that they were really impressed with the Pogo 12.50.

But as I have said that is a "funny" translation: It appears the word pretentious in what regards the Grand Soleil 50 and I am quite sure that is not the right translation. The boat is not pretentious, is just much more luxurious than the Xp 44 and almost as fast and as they say, less of a racer and more of a performance cruiser and a very good one. In fact, the title should be translated as "Fantastic sharp sailboats" and that means all of them: J/111, Xp44, Grand Soleil 50 and Pogo 12.50

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-08-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
I’m sure Paulo will come across this litlle boat at the Nautic in Paris, intended to be a used as a dinghy: the Albatros, designed by Jean-Marie Finot.

Attachment 9525

A very particular dingy, since the “daggerboard” is in fact ballasted with 30kg of lead, making the boat much more stable and forgiving than one would expect. It pivots under the hull, a design also seen on the First Class 8 and the cruising Pogo’s. But it also seems to cant automatically, in a way I don’t quite understand.

Attachment 9526

Otherwise it looks a lot like a mini Pogo with one rudder, don’t you think?

Attachment 9527

Attachment 9528

It also seems to behave in a similar way, intended to be sailed with a little heel and able to plane quickly, even upwind.

Carbon mast, retractable bowsprit, textile rigging and built in a light and rigid material called Evolite which is also used in automobiles.

It is also said to be very safe, without requiring athletic capacities to be sailed well

Attachment 9529

Finot and their partners intend to build this boat in very large numbers, at a standard price of € 6.000.
Both Voiles Magazine and Voiles & Voiliers test sailed it and were quite enthousiastic.

Best regards,

Eric
Well Eric, the only boat I could not resist to take a snapshot with the mobilphone was this one

The boat is so sexy I had to resist not to buy one

And on this picture you have Jean Marie Finot and his wife having fun in it like kids!!! You have to love that guy: Has designed all sort of great sailboats, from Open 60's to Pogos, to Cigales or some of the best Benetaus and still obviously having pleasure not only in designing very simple, fast and affordable sailboats, but also in sailing them

Yes, that boat is going to be a hit and it should be because it is so beautiful that it has to be a great sailboat.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-09-2011

Some Interesting boats at the Paris boat: The Dufour 36 performance

It is a very innovative boat and it seems to point a bit more towards performance and racing than the other boats on the Dufour performance line.

As negative points the the galley. It is not big but the worse is the big cool box cover. How they would expect a guy to cook if when you open the (big) cover all the space for having thing on the bench go way with the cover? .

The boat does not have cabinets on the saloon, except over the galley and that limits storage.

Outside the boat has only one decent storage space, since the removable coffers are really very small and even if that is interesting to racing, in what regards cruising the outside access to the main storage space is not very practical. It is on the floor of the aft part of the cockpit near the end of the boat. That space is also accessed from the inside, through the head but that does not entirely compensate the bad access from outside.

The positive points are many, from a double door to the front cabin that now several boats are using to give a sense of more interior volume, like a loft (and visually it works) to a well designed saloon table with lots of storage space to a possibility of having two 150L water tank that can work as water ballast to a good wet cabinet or a big spinnaker pool that is not very intrusive on the front cabin and is completely waterproof.

Felci, the designer says the boat is optimized to sail heeled and that it has a bit more forward volume than it is usual on its other designs. I guess that will provide a boat that will have more form stability and that will plan sooner. The interior also looks modern and nice in a zen kind of way.

Take a look at the movie:

Dufour 36 Performance : l'élégance et la modernité

It's main competitors will be the First 35, the Elan 350 and the new Salona 35 and in what regards the ones I knew already (The Elan 350 and the First 35) I doubt that the Dufour 36p is a better cruising boat. Of course the First need to change rapidly that big wheel by a two will set up. The cockpit is really much more accessible with a two wheel set-up and not only while at anchor but also for a solo sailor needing to access the front winches, but in what regards storage space and access to storage and galley space, the Dufour seemed worse to me.

First 35 / First / Sailing Yachts - BENETEAU

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileB.../elan_350_.swf

Of course I did not saw the better part of it (I hope) because the Dufour 36p looks like a hell of a sailboat and I will bet that it is fast

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-09-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Cruising World Announces 2012 BOTY Winners | Cruising World

Be it you agree, or do not agree, there is this years BOTY winners from Cruising World announced this morning. Sailing World should have their BOTY winners up in the next day or two or three. SW will be pointed towards the Performance/race end of the spectrum, CW cruise spectrum. You would not find a pogo if available at the boat show they did this at, being rated by CW judges, that would be SW judges.

Marty
Old 12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Cruising World Announces 2012 BOTY Winners | Cruising World

Be it you agree, or do not agree, there is this years BOTY winners from Cruising World announced this morning. Sailing World should have their BOTY winners up in the next day or two or three. SW will be pointed towards the Performance/race end of the spectrum, CW cruise spectrum. You would not find a pogo if available at the boat show they did this at, being rated by CW judges, that would be SW judges.

Marty
Marty, don't mean to offend you or any American but I don't see those awards as very meaningful. I had given up reading those magazines years ago. On their tests they say well from all boats they test and they rely so much on publicity that they can offer their magazines almost for nothing in the internet. I never saw there a comparative test with both boats at the water at the same time. I guess they would have to say that one sailed better than the other and they cannot, or don't want, to say that.

Just look at the boat they have chosen as best import, a Leopard 44

of course:

Robertson and Caine design and build the Leopard line of blue water cruising catamarans. As the world wide dealer, Leopard Catamarans is proud to say that over 800 Leopard cats have now sailed more than 7 million miles and the world's largest oceans.

They are the ones that sell, kind of condo on sails, that even don't sail too badly, except of course if a wave comes crashing on that huge vertical front doors or if you want to go upwind with a strong wind. This boat going upwind offers a huge frontal resistance and if the wind is strong and the sails are reefed, I would not be surprised if the windage was more than the sail power

Take a look at the boat :

And they have preferred that boat, that is obviously pointed to the charter market (sunsail cat) condo thing over a boat like the PT-11 or the Outemer 49 that are good sailboats with a good interior? What kind of sailors are these testers? Marina sailors?

Outremer Catamaran - Our Catamarans - Outremer 49

PT-11 by Performance Multihulls

And regarding the rest, what kind of prizes are that?

For the best import? For the best Domestic boat?

Boats are boats, the best is the best, imported or not. And the best domestic boat (Jeanneau 379) is a French boat? Allright, it is made in America, but how come that the Passport Vista 545 is not considered an Import? It is made in China, not in the US.

To put things even more strange, they mix in the same category boats pointed at obvious different sailing markets. You can compare only what is comparable. What is the point to compare a Passport 545 with a Bavaria cruiser 45 and a Benetau Oceanis 45? They don't belong to the same market segment. The Passport should be compared with the new Oyster 625, the Halberg Rassy 64 or the Amel 64, the best boats from that segment that come out this year and I believe all of them are sold in America.

Just to put things even more funny, Bavaria has announced that their 45 had won the sail magazine boat of the year award:

Bavaria Yachts USA announced that the Bavaria Cruiser 45 has been chosen as SAIL Magazine's Best Boat 2012 Winner among cruising monohulls under 50ft. SAIL magazine's annual Best Boat Award recognizes the best new sailboat introduced into the North American market.

Read more: Bavaria Yacht's Cruiser 45 has been chosen SAIL Magazine's Best Boat 2012 Winner

So, to cruising world the best is the Tartan 4000, for sail magazine the best is the Bavaria 45 (they run on the same category).

It seems to me that they should have a more serious contest involving all major sailing magazines in the United States, have sensible and logical categories and chose the best boat from each category, independently from the origin, providing it was sold in the US. One boat, not several boats, depending on the magazine or regarding its origin

You know that I am not saying that the Jeanneau 379 is a bad boat, you know that I don't think that, but that award is pretty meaningless, except for commercial purposes.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-09-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Marty, don't mean to offend you or any American but I don't see those awards as very meaningful. I had given up reading those magazines years ago. On their tests they say well from all boats they test and they rely so much on publicity that they can offer their magazines almost for nothing in the internet. I never saw there a comparative test with both boats at the water at the same time. I guess they would have to say that one sailed better than the other and they cannot, or don't want, to say that.

Just look at the boat they have chosen as best import, a Leopard 44

of course:

Robertson and Caine design and build the Leopard line of blue water cruising catamarans. As the world wide dealer, Leopard Catamarans is proud to say that over 800 Leopard cats have now sailed more than 7 million miles and the world's largest oceans.
I test sail a Leopard 39 last saturday in some nasty wind and waves. I have to say I was very very impressed with the performance. We did take a huge wave over the bow to stern buried the bow into the wave and the boat did very well losing only a few knots than speed right back up to 7kts at 40 degrees AWA.
We had a reef in the main and full jib out in 23-28 knots of wind. Boat flew.
I love this boat except the helm station ergonomics I thought could use another revamp from Robertson and Cain.

[/QUOTE] You know that I am not saying that the Jeanneau 379 is a bad boat, you know that I don't think that, but that award is pretty meaningless, except for commercial purposes. [/QUOTE]
I couldn't have said it any better!
Catalina 445, Hull #90