Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
LOL paulo and melissa! re the awards being good bad or otherwise! Please note my first line,

"Be it you agree, or do not agree, there is this years BOTY winners from Cruising World announced this morning."

The Tartan.........they seem to be suckers for them! That thing is a C&C 121 with a different deck and sail plan from what I can tell! An 8 yr old hull getting BOTY!LOL What the he!! are thee thinking!

Part of the problem/issue if you will, is many of the major European brands do not sell here NA, so the "BETTER" boats if you will do not show up, so they do not get rated, hence why I can see where "MUCH" of the world does not follow or worry about how well CW/SW votes boats in for BOTY!

I have not personally been on the Jeanneau as of yet, other than knowing a few that have, it appears to be well thought out and sails well for what its intent and application is. "Is it the Best?!?!?!?" like ALL things great and small......maybe/maybe not!

Marty
Old 12-09-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
I test sail a Leopard 39 last saturday in some nasty wind and waves. I have to say I was very very impressed with the performance. We did take a huge wave over the bow to stern buried the bow into the wave and the boat did very well losing only a few knots than speed right back up to 7kts at 40 degrees AWA.
We had a reef in the main and full jib out in 23-28 knots of wind. Boat flew.
I love this boat except the helm station ergonomics I thought could use another revamp from Robertson and Cain.
Nice to have you joining the posters on this thread

Melrna, Robertson and Caine the South Africans that make the Leopard certainly know how to do a good cat and they have made them for many years before becoming the designers for Moorings that also own Sunsail. 85% of their boats are for them. Only 15% to other clients and many of them are also charter operators. Do you see the picture?

The Leopard are great cats for what they are made for: Charter on nice seas.

What pissed me off is that among the boats on the contest was an Outremer 49 that any cat lover know that it is an incredibly boat (2011 European cat) even better than the older model that was already one of the best bluewater cats around: Great interior, superior seaworthiness and fantastic speed. The old 49 is one of the cats with more circumnavigations in its belly.

But then I confess that I really don't understand the way that thing about boat of the year is run down there because THE OUTREMER 49 WAS BOAT OF THE YEAR FOR SAILBOAT MAGAZINE

I guess that if 10 sail American boat magazines chose a boat of the year you will get 10 boats of the year

Take a look at the movie:

http://www.sailmagazine.com/best-boa...leSAVWPkQ6Hn0f

http://www.catamaran-outremer.com/en...Outremer-49-#3

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-10-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post

I have not personally been on the Jeanneau as of yet, other than knowing a few that have, it appears to be well thought out and sails well for what its intent and application is. "Is it the Best?!?!?!?" like ALL things great and small......maybe/maybe not!
Marty
Well, I have been on the Jeanneau 379 and even if it is a nice boat its interior is not a match in interior design and overall balance with the Jeanneau 409 but it is a nice boat, specially if we consider that it is a 36ft boat and not a 38ft boat, as its name lead to suppose. In my opinion the exterior design is better as well as it's sailing performance. We visited also the Dufour 375 and like it more (the Dufour 375 is also a 36ft boat). Both boats should have very similar performances.

Of course the Dufour 375 was probably nominated last year? and the ones that where on contest with the Jeanneau 379 where:

Midsize Cruisers, 36 to 40 Feet:

Bavaria Cruiser 36
Catalina 385
Hallberg-Rassy 372
Island Packet 360
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 379

From this ones I think that the best balanced boat is the Halberg Rassy 372. This boat started a revolution in Halberg Rassy and its demand made them start a new line of more modern cruisers, not only boats with a great interior but also very good sailing boats.

The boat was European boat of the year in 2010 and won in 2009 a famous test sail promoted by Norwegian, Swedish and German Yacht magazines, with all boats at the water at the same time. The other boats were: FinnFlyer 36, Grand Soleil 37, Arcona 370, Salona 37, Linjett 37, Elan 380 and SwedeStar 370.

They have said about the HR 371: "The Hallberg-Rassy 372 impressed with her good sailing performance. She performs surprisingly well compared to other boats who call themselves cruiser-racers"... No other boat got so many ten pointers as the 372 for interior, details, brightness, ventilation, choice of materials, galley and sleeping comfort".

The Halberg Rassy 372 was a revolutionary boat and with the Xc 42 created a new generation of sailboats: Luxurious cruising boats with a very good sail performance.

Of course in Europe the HR 372 would not compete on the same category with the Jeanneau 379. The HR would be competing on the Luxurious cruisers and the Jeanneau on the Family cruisers, but if you put both competing together on the same category, well, the Jeanneau would not be a match to the HR 379 and I don' understand why they have prefered the Jeanneau over the HR 372.

Regarding the other boats in competition it is clear to me that the Jeanneau 379 is a more modern boat with Bavaria 36 not far.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-10-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2011

Hei guys have you followed the Banque Populaire attempt on the world record circumnavigation?

They have been doing a fantastic job and have a big advance over the last record: Great boat, great sailors, great sailing

30/35/40 K wind, 35/40K speed

Look at the end of the movie when the guy got the water full on his face (and camera). What would be the apparent wind? No wonder they use that kind of motorcycle helmet I know that water hitting the face at 35/40 K can be painful. I wonder at what speed they are hit by that water?
St Anna likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-10-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Salona to Hobart

Hey Paulo,

Thought this my interest you. Our godson is crewing on a Salona 44 in this year's Sydney to Hobart.

Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2011.. The Yachts

Cheers

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-10-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Thanks Paulo,
you come up with some amazing videos, all of which keep the racer within stoked.

Please keep finding them, very much appreciated. Your posts also express your experience in getting out and doing it, rather than just talking about it.

Cheers

DC

TDW,

Thanks to you also for same - [cant supplicate a mod too much]
I'll keep an eye on the Salona.
regards

Actuall, if it were not for the spectators hanging around the Syd- Hob, I'd consider going in the cruising div. - how about a private cruisers race b/w a few of us - will take a lot of plotting/planning but how about a trip to Lord Howe or the Capricorn Group - Bris-Glad in April??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by St Anna; 12-10-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Thanks Paulo,
you come up with some amazing videos, all of which keep the racer within stoked.

Please keep finding them, very much appreciated. Your posts also express your experience in getting out and doing it, rather than just talking about it.

Cheers

DC

TDW,

Thanks to you also for same - [cant supplicate a mod too much]
I'll keep an eye on the Salona.
regards

Actuall, if it were not for the spectators hanging around the Syd- Hob, I'd consider going in the cruising div. - how about a private cruisers race b/w a few of us - will take a lot of plotting/planning but how about a trip to Lord Howe or the Capricorn Group - Bris-Glad in April??
Supplicate baby supplicate ....

I've looked longingly at the Cruising Div but in reality who wants to be stuck with the weather, while getting out of the harbour for the slow pokes must be horrid.

Otoh, we aim to be in Broken Bay post New Year and then if the weather gods smile head south, I'd like to think to Eden but one step at a time. Jervis, Batemans, Eden. Wild Oats may do Syd-Hob in two days but we'll be happy with Syd - Eden in two weeks.

Ref Lord Howe, how about we meet there ? Have to plan it fairly carefully cos out of Sydney into a Nor Easter would be a bit miserable but pick the tail end of the right southerly up the coast to Port Macquarie or Coffs then its a reach to LH rather than hard on the wind. For you though it would be plain sailing all the way unless you get snotted by a Tasman blow.

Nice thought. I need to do a decent offshore passage. LH is the obvious choice.

Does this all mean you are getting back on the water soon ?

Cheers

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 12-10-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2011

Celebrating the Jeanneau 379 award as boat of the year for Cruising World Magazine, a new video, a nice one that shows that the 379 is a gorgeous sailboat and a fast one. The most beautiful boat among the 36/37ft cruisers (not considering performance cruisers):

This boat looks better than the Bavaria 36 the Hanse 385 and better than the Dufour 375 even if all of them are good looking boats, but in what regards the interior, well I find that it is not as good as the rest of the boat and I think it is a pity, no bad though, but just look at the Dufour 375 and that big galley:

Virtual Yacht Showing

And also a look at the Hanse 385:

And the Bavaria 36 that in my opinion is the nicest interior of all Bavaria cruising series, a lot better now that they have changed the wood color.

Last edited by PCP; 12-11-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hey Andrews,

Nice to know and all the good luck to him and his crew. That boat entered also on the last year and had to retire with a very odd problem, something to do with a defective valve. Can you ask him what happened? I would be interested

Regards

Paulo
Paulo,
I'll ask him but he wasn't on her last year.
Cheers
Andrew

ps - steering problem.

Last edited by tdw; 12-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Thanks Paulo,

Cheers

DC

Thanks DC. Nice to know that you appreciate.

One more movie, this time dedicated to a great race and human adventure that nobody seems to have noticed around this forum, the Gobal Ocean race: A circumnavigation race on 40ft boats.

about the race:

Global Ocean Race 2011-12 : Home

Global Ocean Race 2011-12 : Home

Unfortunately only 6 boats are racing, more than on the last edition anyway, but this race has the potential for becoming the true race/adventure circumnavigation for non professional sailors or medium level professional sailors, the ones that could not dream to find a budget for the vendee Globe or Barcelona race, but that, for a small fraction of the price, can find a budget for this one.

This one is raced on 40class racers, a very affordable racing boat.

Regards

Paulo
Melrna and St Anna like this.