Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1241Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Back to the Paris boat show, I was very interested in seeing the new Grand Soleil 39, just to see if the boat does look as good as in the movies.

Yes, even better it is just a gorgeous boat and I know it is the kind of boat I like, I mean for solo sailing and to the type of sail I do and intend to do.

It is on the super quality of the finish and in all details that this boat really impresses. After having seen it, I even like that retro dish storage in the galley and contrary to what I was afraid those white cabinets look good. They have a silky white finish that exudes quality.

The table in the cockpit is the best I have ever saw (very little space lost) and the port hulls are just magnificent, specially if we consider that we are talking about a performance boat. They are under the cabinets, are double and long and at a place that match the height of the eyes when we are seated and they permit really an outside view.

This boat shows that it is possible to have a luxurious boat with a great interior and at the same time a performance boat. Really outstanding. Of course a boat like this cannot be cheap (it has a carbon structure to distribute all the loads) but even with that price I believe it is going to be a success.

It seems that the Bavaria ownership had only taken advantages and that the quality has not lowered, quite the contrary.

I could only find one thing that I really did not like: The stairs are to steep! But that is not a particularity of only this boat, the Xp 38 and surprisingly the Xp 44 have it also as many other boats. Anyway it is an important detail for me and I am happy that the ones on the Salona 38 are a lot better. That is not important if you have both hands free, but if you are holding something and coming down, that can be a nasty problem.

Grand Soleil 39 : le charme intégré

Last edited by PCP; 12-11-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011

And a visit to the London boat show, a small one if compared with the one in Paris, not even the British major boat show but an interesting reportage by the Yachting World magazine. Some interesting boats, not rely new, but interesting nonetheless:

Old 12-12-2011

Back to the Paris boat show and to sexy boats, well the Grand Soleil 39 can pretend that title, but the little A27 is even sexier. Good what a beautiful boat, one capable of taken rationality out of you for sheer desire and sail pleasure, I mean if you are the kind of guy that prefer sailing to living in comfort

This is a racer and a weekender but what a boat....and with the possibility of having a solo version with all controls at hand (look in the movie at that strange box with all controls there).

The Archambault, the 31 and the 35 are favorite boats on the French Transat for amateurs, the Transquadra and they have learned with solo sailors all the tricks that were needed to solo sail a performance boat and have incorporated all in this boat.

This boat has also a version with two rudders and a lifting keel that will make it a very good all-round daysailer.

http://www.diamond-yachts.de/deliver.php?id=128

http://www.diamond-yachts.de/deliver.php?id=152

The boat I saw in Paris had not yet an interior (they had not time to finish the boat) but if it is a functional as on their other boats, it would be not only a great racer but a very fun weekender, a boat that will reward its owner with tons of sailing pleasure, I am sure

Don't miss the movie:

Take a look at the boat that is next to it. Its a Surprise, the boat that 30 years back was the first big success for Archambault. Both boats are about the same length and had the same program: racing and week-end cruising and the surprise was a very fast boat 30 years ago. The comparison shows the big evolution in design and particularly in hull design on the last 30 years.

A 27 : digne successeur du Surprise

Last edited by PCP; 12-12-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-12-2011

I had already talked and posted movies about the Farlie 55, a very exclusive modern classic, I mean a truly classical boat with a more modern hull and a bulbed keel, a beautiful thing that make me fell like a peasant should feel near a beautiful princess

What a beautiful and untouchable sailboat except for that guy from Yachting world that pretending to make a test sail got a free ride with the beauty queen. Well, I would have liked to be in its place: What a lovely boat

Last edited by PCP; 12-12-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Fairlie is elegant. She would be fast as well.
Stop it Paulo, no more.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2011

After a boat that almost nobody can have, a boat that anybody can have

The Elan 210 (that has several distributors in America) was also at the Paris boat show. The boat had been presented in January this year in Dusseldorf and since then a lot of boats have been sold and the boat has raised a lot of interest everywhere.

Voile and Voiliers made the best presentation of the boat I ever saw, a realy nice movie that shows about everything almost as if you were on the boat:

Movie

Elan 210 : comme un grand !

And the guys from Giornaledellavela have sailed it fast. Pity that I never saw images of this boat going with geenaker downwind. It should go really fast

tdw likes this.
Old 12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Fairlie is elegant. She would be fast as well.
Stop it Paulo, no more.....
Ok, we cannot have always good looking boats

Well, this one it is a bit of a deception, at least in what regards the outside looks. It just have lost that adventurer look. Now it seems a cruiser like any other and not even a particularly nice one. The new Allures 39.9 the new aluminum French center boarder that replaces the Allures 40:

The interior is nice, open and with lots of light, a lot better than the old one:

The boat was presented at the Paris boat show.
Old 12-13-2011

If you Guys have not yet noticed it well deserve to pay attention to the attempt on the new World Record Navigation. They have 8 hours over Cammas, the one that owns the record but they are taking incredible risks running near 60º degrees South (58º), slalom Icebergs at 30/40K speed and Jumping on 33ft waves.

I am not exaggerating, they have beaten the speed record of the boat at 48K and the guy said the next second they were airborne over a 33ft wave

They have huge winds and big seas ahead (30h) and they talk about running without sail, only the mast!!!!! Its main problem is slow down the boat if they needed too. With 40K winds and over even only with the mast they will be doing over 20K and that can be too much for really heavy seas, not what you and I call heavy seas (on those they go over 30K) but on really bad seas, the ones where most sailors are considering a Mayday.

That is an incredible story that deserves to be followed by all that loves sail. They are out there, alot South of New Zealand sprinting to the more isolated place on earth, the big Southern Ocean on the way to the horn and they would be in deep trouble if they break the boat. Help would take a long way to arrive, maybe too long.

You can follow here:

Trophée Jules Verne 2011 - Cartographie et géolocalisation

Retrouvez toute l'actualité de l'univers Voile de Banque Populaire

Old 12-13-2011

Back to the Paris boat show and to one of the surprises, the XP 38. Yes I love the boat and I have said that already here but the interior on the photos and movies I had saw looked small and not very well designed. Well, it is not as big or as warm as the one from the Salona 38 but it is nice, very well done and cozy. Much more suitable for cruising than what I thought.

Pity that the XP 38 has only one version with 3 cabins because that is what make the saloon smaller than what it could have been, I mean the position of the head.

The head is small but will not be a problem unless you are really big. If you are you would have leg problems while seating at the toilet. The head it is also on the small side on the Salona 38 thee cabin, with more space for legs but less space for shower but it is much bigger on the Salona 2 cabin version and if you use the third cabin for storage, it makes a lot of sense to have a bigger head.

Another negative point is the stairs, really inclined, like the Grand Soleil 39 and a lot worse than on the Salona 38.

A very nice boat anyway, better for cruising than what I thought and a dam good and fast sailboat with a superior stability. A true bluewater boat.

Take a look at the presentation at the Paris boat show by "Voile and Voiliers"

Movie:

XP 38 : la performance par la puissance

Movie:

XP-38: Schnörkellos schnell segeln - YACHT-TV*|*YACHT.DE

And another surprise, the Xp 44 interior, that on the photos looked a lot better than the one from Xp 38 it is not. It is just a slightly bigger Xp 38, less than what the size difference would let to suppose and suprinsingly its stair is as inclined as the one from the Xp 38.

The First 45, The Salona 44 or the Elan 45 has a lot more to offer in what regards interior space and comfort even if the interior from the X is, as always, very well finished and with good quality everywhere. Of course in what regards pure performance I believe that the Xp 44 would be a bit faster but nothing that will really matter in what regards performance cruising.

Movie:

Performance-Cruiser: Rückbesinnung auf den Sport - YACHT-TV*|*YACHT.DE

Last edited by PCP; 12-13-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Paulo,

I'll have one of those Elan 210 for my birthday please. What a fabulous thing for daysailing and a bit of club racing. Fabulous. We have a Beneteau of about the same size in our mooring field, I feel the same way about that.

Allures 399 .... looks good. I'd have one of those in a shot but you would have to design a pretty impressive dodger. She'd be very wet with the wheels so far aft. I also look at the main sheet to boom position. Mid boom is one thing but man that is a long way forward, though perhaps its just the image.

As for Banque Populaire V I am in two minds. Part of me freaks out at the idea of ever crazier atempts on these records while I acknowledge that some of us will always strive to achieve bigger and better no matter the risk. At least one must say that BPV looks astonishingly well prepared in contrast to the likes of the failed attempt a few years back by Tony Bullimore which had disaster written all over it from start to ignominous finish.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett