Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Some time ago was raced in Sweden another Tjorn Runt a 40 year's old race that joins all kinds of boats and all kinds of sailors. A sail celebration, a Nordic one. Have a look, it is a nice movie:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Paulo,

I'll have one of those Elan 210 for my birthday please. What a fabulous thing for daysailing and a bit of club racing. Fabulous. We have a Beneteau of about the same size in our mooring field, I feel the same way about that.

Allures 399 .... looks good. I'd have one of those in a shot but you would have to design a pretty impressive dodger. She'd be very wet with the wheels so far aft. I also look at the main sheet to boom position. Mid boom is one thing but man that is a long way forward, though perhaps its just the image.

As for Banque Populaire V I am in two minds. Part of me freaks out at the idea of ever crazier atempts on these records while I acknowledge that some of us will always strive to achieve bigger and better no matter the risk. At least one must say that BPV looks astonishingly well prepared in contrast to the likes of the failed attempt a few years back by Tony Bullimore which had disaster written all over it from start to ignominous finish.
Well, I will give you one of those on your birthday if you give me a A27 in mine

Regarding the Allures 39.9 I will prefer to say nothing without seeing the boat. I liked the old Allures 40 and this one don't seem nicer to me, except on the interior. I can be wrong, bit this is not a revolutionary boat as was the Allures 44 in its time. The innovation regarding the OVNI was that while the OVNI as an all aluminum boat, the Allures has an aluminum hull but all the rest is cored fiberglass and that make it not only lighter but also with a lower CG, giving them a better stability curve, specially in what concerns reserve stability and AVS.

some Allures from the "old" line, including the 40

And the new Allures 45, a very beautiful boat

Allures have being growing at a fantastic rhythm, 100% each year and some of its success is due to guys that cruise on remote places with them:

Regarding Banque Populaire, they only seem crazy. As in any serious racing there are always some risk evolved but his skipper is one of the more experienced sailors on the world. He knows very well what he is doing and all the crew as a huge respect for him:

Loïck Peyron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

Paulo
tdw likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2011

Great movie about the IWC Schaffhausen Speed Record Challenge:

Old 12-15-2011

Still the boats on the Paris boat show: I left almost to the end the one I find more sexy. Areal pleasure to the eyes. Believe me none of the photos or movies I will post will give you an idea how beautiful this boat is: The Black Pepper Code 0

It is a very subtle melange of classic lines with ultra modern lines. On what matters to sailing is all modern, all in carbon, big draft, swinging bulbed keel, narrow, a big B/D ratio and a very low weight: 1950kg for a 10m boat

LOA : 9,95 m
LWL : 9,30 m
Beam : 2,70 m
Mast heigh : 13,70 m
Weight : 1 950 kg
Ballast : 800 kg
Draft : 0,70 m / 2,20 m
Mainsail : 32 mē
Jib : 18 mē
Code 0 on a bowsprit : 40 mē
Asymmetric spy on a bowsprit : 75 mē

At the Paris boat show:

First sailing appearance at the "VOILES DE SAINT TROPEZ"

Comments from the crew: We were surprised and surprised many boats. We did not know that this little boat could do 17K.

Is this not a cracking little boat? If I didn't like so much to cruise and I just sailed around my corner I would want one of these. They can even put you a real head on the boat if you want too.

No, don't ask me about the price. You should know that really beautiful things are priceless But if you really want to know I guess that this ine would cost a bit less than the Salona 38....but not much.

Last edited by PCP; 12-15-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-15-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Code 0 is just... from dreamland back to earth take a look at it's birth gallery: Day Boat - Code 0
Old 12-15-2011

The J 105 is such a great boat that the one to replace it would have to be a really great boat. Hardd job

Look at this one:

With 23K a 28 k wind: Boat speed 12 a 16 kn. max. 17.3 kn

Well it seems they have done it, I mean a better boat. In Paris I had a look at the J 111: Impressive. It looks a bit better everywhere: A more modern hull design, a very nice looking boat with a great cockpit set up and a better interior.

The interior of the J 111 is miles away from the one from the Xp38 and points decidedly for racing but you could cruise one in a spartan way. Not much different from a Pogo 10.50 even if the Pogo is pointing decidedly to cruising.

Comparing with a Pogo 10.50 interior the Pogo has more storage, a better galley with a bigger fridge,the head in a better place and has a bigger interior.

No doubt that the Pogo 10.50 has a better interior, much more adapted to cruising but the J111 has a much better interior comparing with the j 105. Pity that they had maintained the head in that place, I mean inside the front cabin, like on the J 105. I don't understand why. The Pogo solution, that is common to many fast racers looks a lot better: Instead of having two cabins on the stern, it has only a bigger one and on the other side a head, communicating with the storage space.

But in what regarding sailing the opinions of all that had sailed it and their enthusiasm about the boat does not leave any doubt: That's a great sailingboat and siting on the cockpit, even on a boat show, you really dream to get it on the water and sail away

Last edited by PCP; 12-15-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2011

Some of you were complaining on other thread that there are no inexpensive new little cruisers on the market and that all the major brands were doing only big boats. That's true in what regards to almost all with the exception of Elan.

The big money is on big boats and all are pointing to it. But on Europe we have lots of new interesting and very inexpensive boats coming in the market, not from big boat companies but from small firms that are growing fast, mostly from Poland were the French and German big mass producers have been building a substantial part of their boats. They have learned the know how and and are starting producing their own boats. Well, it's good not to forget that Delphia is a Polish firm and they have been producing good boats for decades.

All this talk to present you another inexpensive Polish boat, the Mariner 20:

I like it. It seems very well designed it comes with a very basic equipment that will probably will give it a very low price and that I am sure can be upgraded, but the essentials are there: A nice hull with a nice rig and a good looking interior. The boat seems particularly interesting in its fixed bulb that has a bulbed ballast of 290kg (with more 100kg of inside ballast)at 1.42 draft. That will make it probably a relatively stiff boat considering that weights only 1050 kg and has a considerable beam (2.45m).

If you are really interested you can read the teat on the German Magazine "Yacht" and in some time you can download the test (2€).

The designer is the Polish Wojciech Spisak that was a huge experience in building small cruisers:

Konstrukcje Wojciecha Spisaka

I guess that now that the Euro is going down regarding to the dollar it would probably be good business to import this boat considering that they have a good looking and modern 24ft with a full head:

and are developing a big sister that it would probably be even more interesting, a very nice looking 31ft.

All these boats look good and don't resemble to those other fat little boats that come also from Polland. Have a look at the designs for the 31ft:

They say about the 31ft boat:

MARINER 31
two varieties of comfort

Our flagship model, depending on equipment and furnishing, is either a big, comfortable inland sailboat or a typical sea yacht. The inland version is equipped with a centerboard and an internal bottom balast, a tiller and an engine fixed on transom. Of course on request we can change the tiller to a steering wheel and fix a Diesel sterndrive. The next step can be changing the centerboard and the balast to a keel which transforms the boat into a sea yacht.

tdw likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-16-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2011

On these winter days I like to see good sailing movies. It is not like sailing, not even close but makes me dream about it and this movie is pretty good:

The sailing season of a racing Swedish team: Blur

First images (and great photos) on a J 109, the last ones on a J111 that is going to be probably their next boat. Enjoy (see it in 720HD):

Old 12-17-2011

Since we are talking about Polish small cruising boat, there is another coming and this one imported to US, the Delphia 31. from the very first images and designs it seems to be a very nice boat, designed by Andrzej Skrzat.

The version with deep keel will be certified by RCD as A category (offshore boat) and that means that for such a small boat, that it has to be well designed.

The boat will be offered with a deep keel and a draft of 1.85 and a swing keel with a variable draft, from 0.45 to 1.65. The Swinging keel does not seem to have a great impact on the interior.

Another interesting characteristic, common to some Delphia is the possibility of an optional mast lowering kit.

The Delphia is normally offered at a very good price for its quality.

They say about the boat:

The new Delphia 31 is designed to be a well-mannered craft, ideal for families seeking adventure on the water. From stem to stern, it is built to be functional, solid and very reliable in harsh weather conditions.

Even during long voyages, the D31 guarantees its occupants a sense of high comfort and safety. The self–draining cockpit with two lockers, the specifically designed anti-slip surface on the cockpit floor, the self–tailing winch and roller furling jib are just a few of the wealth of features to ensure the ultimate sailing experience that a craft in its class may offer.

Inside, the D31 is a perfect combination of space and ergonomics. The generously sized cockpit boasts teak laid seats and a bathing platform offering easy access to the water. The all-new interior with sumptuous sofas offers sleeping accommodation for up to six adults while panoramic windows flood the cabin with light.

Apart from the exquisite mahogany finish, standard features include a cooker, fridge, shower room and a 150-litre fresh water tank. Below decks there is a 100-litre diesel tank to fuel the 18-horsepower Volvo Penta engine.

The D31 is available with a cast iron keel, recommended for blue water sailing or a swing-keel available on request. Optional extras also include a furling mainsail and a mast lowering kit.

Technical data

Length: 9.78 m
Beam: 3.40 m
Total draft: 1.85 m
Weight: 6130 kg
Ballast: 1650 kg
Mainsail: 23.90m2
Gennaker: 90m2
Engine: 30 HP
Fuel tank: 120 l
Water tank: 210 l
Category: A/ 6 pers.
Designer: Andrzej Skrzat

Let me make a comment about this: "ideal for families seeking adventure on the water. From stem to stern, it is built to be functional, solid and very reliable in harsh weather conditions"

This boat has an unusually high weight and ballast for a 31 ft. If well designed, and Andrzej Skrzat is a good and very experienced designer, that weight means a very strong boat and that ballast on the end of a deep bulbed keel (with that weight) will mean an unusual high righting moment curve for a 31ft. This is probably going to be a very seaworthy boat for its size.

Last edited by PCP; 12-17-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-17-2011

I found out a information that I was looking for some time now: a great explanation about the different types or A sails (geenakers on furlers), the angles and winds they are appropriated too. I have asked in some small lofts but the explanations were always confusing and contradictory.

These are the sails that are used by solo sailors. I had a A0 I knew the angles and the wind speed that it could take (not much) and I wanted a good overall sail capable of sailing with more wind and going more downwind. Well, know I know, it is a A2.

I hope this can be useful to some.

The loft is OneSail, a Slovenian good loft that is growing fast and makes some great performance sails at a very good price. I knew about them because Salona uses their sails. I have tried their top of the range sail for cruisers and I liked it very much, the Vektor Dyneema series.

OneSails Sailmakers - The Next Generation of Sails - Home Page

OneSails Sailmakers - The Next Generation of Sails