Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
I guess that we all know the Delphia 40, the sailingboat that has made the reputation of Delphia. The boat is around for a long time and is now in its 3th remake, I mean, the same hull and new interiors and slightly different and more modern cabin tops.

They offer an incredible number of different layouts and several keel configurations. On the 2 cabin configuration the boat is well adapted for living aboard, with lot's of storage and a huge galley.

The boat is solid and well built, offers a good B/D ratio, the interior is of average quality (I would say similar to Beneteau) and offers a good price/quality ratio, however that hull is a bit dated and I bet that it will not take long for an entirely new boat.

Virtual Tour Created By Easypano

So, it is not a new boat, it has a dated hull, why the hell I am posting about it?

Because there are a guy that is circumnavigating SOLO AND NON STOP in one and it is not a top sailor or a racer, just a middle aged sailor that after having crossed the Atlantic (both ways) in his Delphia liked the sensation and wanted more. Well, this is certainly more

Now he is down there, south of Australia were the winds are strong and the waves are big making his way through the big Pacific Ocean. If you want to follow its voyage you can do it here:

Lokalizacja | Around The World Delphia Project

he has a site with some parts in English:

Around The World Delphia Project

Last edited by PCP; 12-19-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKDexterHaven View Post
I'm fascinated by this boat and this attempt. It's something truly amazing. I watch the videos of this boat doing 30+ knots effortlessly over and over and over again. This one is my favorite. See if you can tell why
Hats off to Loïck and his crew.
Yes that's a great adventure and very difficult because the previous record established by the trimaran Groupama with Frank Cammas as skipper was an incredible performance.

They are having problems with icebergs and growlers:

!9/12 Hi all

Hope you guys are all well...Sorry for last few garbled days of updates, am going to write this sitting down, rather than in my bunk, where have been falling asleep at the keyboard!

Since the encounter with the amazing ice display of The remnants of berg B15J we have been skirting the Northern edge of the known ice zone. Firstly in almost no wind, and now tacking upwind in 15 knots of wind.

Our watch was on deck through the entire night - at least the 4 hours of it that we have here, and we were paying close attention to the radar. We were looking at various echos on the radar, rain clouds, fog banks, waves, and distinguishing them from possible icebergs, when an echo on the screen suddenly appeared that was unmistakably solid South of Cape Leewin!
Ciao, am off to my bunk, cannot stay awake any longer!
Brian

.....Late this afternoon we passed about 4 miles to leeward of one iceberg, and saw ten growlers, between 5 and 1m high. The iceberg we saw from 12 miles out on the radar, (before we saw it visually), but the growlers did not show up at all well on radar.

Fortunately the water temp is 8 or 9C, so the growlers should not get too far from the mother berg before melting.

It's night now, so a careful lookout for us. Time to go on deck:.

Brian

Press Releases Maxi Trimaran Banque Populaire V

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-19-2011

If you have a recent boat with a Selden mast pay attention:

Selden had made a recall on the forestay fittings of some of their masts (2004-2008). The piece has the reference - 517-914. Here is the piece photo and all information:

Seldén Mast AB

The failures can happen on long distance cruising using only the genoa and Cracks are along the weld on the underside part of the fitting and will not be visible.

Many boats affected, between them: Arcona 460, Bavaria 46, Dehler 47, Elan Impression, Finngulf 44, Hallberg Rassy 40, Maxi 1300, Najad 460, 400,405,440, Omega 46, Salona 45, Sweden Yachts 42 and 45, Southerly 42, Van de Stadt 44, and Etap 46.
Old 12-19-2011

Tartan 4000, boat of the year for Cruising world Magazine, boat of the year for sailing world magazine...I guess that I have to make a post about it.

Let me tell you that among the production American boats Tartan are the ones that I like most. I like the old 4100 and its mix of classicism and modernity.

I cannot say that I like the 4000 very much. They have utilized a some years old hull, the one from c&c 121, a good hull that is not yet dated, a modern hull, a beamy hull that marks a sharp contrast with the traditional hull of the previous model....and then, instead of having a modern design for a modern hull they treated the overall outside design in a very classical way.

In my opinion it is not a match, I mean the modern wide hull and the retro classical line. I find the previous model much more elegant and comfortable in its lines: Traditional hull, classical line.

The cockpit looks good and functional but the transom seems anachronistic with a very small opening and without a bath platform. That could be justified in a classic boat with a classic hull, but on that large and modern stern that little gate seems out of proportion.

The interior is very nice in a traditional way but the layout only permits a two cabin version while on other boats of this size we can find a similar sized galley and three cabins. But the worse is the lack of outside views from the saloon. I really think that is going to be a very negative point in what concerns sales. If you target the small niche of classical boats, a classical hull without hull ports can make sense, but when the target is the main market it makes no sense at all.

Another strange thing is the carbon mast. I am all in favor for them in performance boats but notwithstanding Sailing world choice as this boat as performance sailboat of the year, this boat is not a performance sailboat and that mast looks out of place in a 40ft boat that displaces around 9T (and makes it unnecessarily more expensive).

The keel, more than the hull looks dated and it is in flagrant contradiction with the Carbon mast. It is too wide and has much weight on the support and not as much as it should have in the bulb if instead of an all lead keel it had a steel narrower and thinner support and a lead bulb.

Some good choices, some odd choices makes this boat an unbalanced one and is difficult to understand how it got so many prizes. I hope I am wrong and this boat can be a sales success. Ultimately it is the public that decides what is a good boat and a bad boat and I would hate to see Tartan disappear and this boat is very much the last opportunity to get it right for Tartan.

Last edited by PCP; 12-19-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2011

Hey Andrews, if you liked the Elan 210 you are going to like this one, it is the same concept but on a North European view, the Campus 7.4, a sweet boat that can even have a real head. The boat is made by Fabola that is the company that make the Fabola Diva 35, 36 and 38, beautiful boats that were already posted here.

It is a dam fast little boat, a boat that is a lot of fun to sail and has a simple but beautiful interior:

And a test comparison with the Elan 210:

The boat weights 1 250Kg, has a ballasted swing keel with 300kg and is easily trailerable.

Technical data Fabola Campus 7.4

LOA (length body) 7.45 m
Total length 7.26 m
Width 2.59 m
Draft 0.30 to 1.75 m
Weight 1.25 t
Ballast-/anteil 300 kg/25%
Sail Area 27.8 to 30.5 sqm

Price starts at € 27 350and can go till 45,000 €, in this case including trailer (prices include German VAT). Not cheap, but this a Swedish boat

Nice test on the German Magazine Yacht and a comparative test with the Elan 210 on the Norwegian magazine Seilas.
tdw likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 12-20-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2011

Last edition of the Yacht sailing magazine comes with a fantastic story:

The worse documented nightmare in a boat. Well, it does not beat Ulysses misadventures but it is pretty bad. The story is about a 3 mast sailboat trying to pass the worn. They have taken 99 days and lost 3 men. Huge storms keep pushing them back. This was their course:

Can you imagine? that is absolutely crazy...what a nightmare

The boat was this beauty:

The ship was the three mast "Susanna" with captain Christian Jürgens Simon and the year was 1905.
Old 12-20-2011

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
Does any of you experienced the NAJAD 355 or any other recent ones like the 380 /410 /440AC and CC /505/ 570?
I would like to see coments !
Old 12-20-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hey Andrews, if you liked the Elan 210 you are going to like this one, it is the same concept but on a North European view, the

snip
Nice. The idea of a simple nippy day sailor really does have appeal. There are plenty of days when it would be great to just jump on board and go for a blast, not to mention the occasional club race and/or twilight.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Mode View Post
Does any of you experienced the NAJAD 355 or any other recent ones like the 380 /410 /440AC and CC /505/ 570?
I would like to see coments !
You are interested in all those boats?

Najad are expensive Luxury cruisers, very good boats with very nice quality interiors. They are on the same league with Halberg Rassy and Malo, all Swedish boats but I guess you already now that. Old ones are a bit on the slow side but new models are good sailing boats, a bit slower than the typical mass production cruiser in light wind but relatively fast and seaworthy with medium winds.

Here you have a movie from the Yachting Monthly test sail to the Najad 410:

And a test summary:

Najad 410 | Single-hull Boat Reviews | Yachting Monthly | Single-Hull Boat Reviews | Yachting Monthly

A test by Sail magazine on the 570 with a movie:

Najad 570 Test Sail | Sail Magazine

A movie of a 440ac in a race

Some test sails on the 355:

http://www.sailmagazine.com/sailboat-reviews/najad-355

http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboa...pocket-cruiser

http://48north.com/may_2008/najad/najad_1.htm

some more nice movies:

And here a list of tests you can find about each model:

Najad Owners Forum - Boat Reviews

And you speak German and don't mind to pay 2€ for each you can find some good ones here, including some comparatives :

Download*|*YACHT.DE

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-20-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2011

An interesting book, or better an interesting new edition of this Jimmy Cornell classic:

I bought it on the Paris boat show, or better my wife bought it to me and I could not see it properly because she declare that it was my Christmas gift and wrap it up away from me

But it is basically composed with big A3 pages like this one:

A collection for a given ocean or zone, one page to each month.

The data was collected during the last 20 years by NASA and includes winds and currents.

The boat was also some comments about each region, problems, best way and time to cross and so on.

It would be very useful to the ones that are out there or that plan to cross oceans or sail extensively and it would be very useful to improve the quality of dreaming of all armchair sailors
tdw likes this.