Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
And talking about Abu Dhabi it is appropriated talk about Dhows, a Generic name for different types of boats that have in common having latin sails and be part of the Arabic or Muslim heritage. Some where heavily influenced by the Portuguese Caravel that dominated those seas on the XVI century.

The Traditional Dhow

Nabataea: Maritime

http://catnaps.org/islamic/boats.html

Fortunately there as been a renaissance of interest on these boats on the Emirates and they are used for racing. Beautiful boats and on its racing versions, fast boats. Have a look:

Last edited by PCP; 01-07-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012

And how about this?

Provisional Itinerary | Capehornrace

It will stick?

It can be very interesting

"The race round Cape Horn Island constitutes a « race within a race » with its own prologue from Ushuaia to the Cape, and its own epilogue from the Horn to Port Williams. The first edition of the event starts at Saint Tropez with stoppover ports in Argentine, Brazil, Chile and Spain. In total, the race route comprises 6 legs, 6 stoppover ports, during a period of 6 months. The competiton is open to all monophull yachts between 47 and 75 feet (14.3 and 23 m): an IRC handicap race, which allows all teams to compete equally, whether they are onboard a producton, charter, or racing yacht. Throughout 15,000 nautical miles of ocean challenge, the fleet will be tracked by satellite. In accordance with IRC rules, the fastest yacht on corrected time, wins."

Last edited by PCP; 01-07-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-08-2012

New boat to be presented in Dusseldorf, an Italian one, the Iy 13.98, a Maurizio Cossutti design, a boat with beautiful classic lines, a very well constructed and fast boat.

Made with e-glass and vinilester resins with a cored hull, the boat is light (8950kg) and has a big B/D ratio, if we consider that it has a torpedo keel with 3100kg at 25m draft. Considering that the boat has a moderated beam (4.30m) that would make it very very stiff and with 124 m2 of sail this boat should go upwind like an arrow. It also was a geenaker that could be used on a broad reach and if we consider the sail area of the boat in that configuration (226 m2), this boat would need only 4K of wind to go fast.

I would definitively call this one an interesting sailboat

They say about the boat:

Italia 13.98 resumes and extends the design philosophy introduced with the first model of the yard. Italia 13.98 is therefore a real luxury yacht where technology and performances meet, looking for a blend between classic and modern lines.

Performances and easy handling are in the DNA of the boats designed by Italia Yachts as well as the search for maximum comfort on board and the rationality of the use of space above and below deck.

Interiors of Italia 13.98 are luxurious with wide use of teak and precious materials. The layout has three comfortable cabins and two bathrooms, one with separate shower.

The whole environment is characterized by intense brightness provided by many openable skylights an hull side windows that can be blacked out.

Stowage spaces both in owner's bow cabin than in the two aft cabins are spacious and comfortable.
Old 01-08-2012

Do you know where is the best place to find interesting sailboats (besides this thread)?

Dusseldorf boat show, without any doubt. If you have never been there you could not imagine the size.

I an posting about this because the boat show is this month between 21 and 29 of this month. You will find there dealers from all the world including America and that's probably the place where you can get a better deal on a new boat.

What you are going to gain with special boat show prices will vastly compensates the price of the voyage and that is probably also true for charting where the prices can go till 20% under what you can manage on the net.

Besides Dusseldorf is a very nice place with great food and a brewery that makes beer on the spot and has a terrific ambiance (kind of 30's if you know what I mean). It is the German city with highest living standards and German standards are not low. A lovely city in the center of Europe with excellent fast railway connections to many big European cities. That's why the world's biggest boat show is there in first place.

After the first time I was there at almost 10 years ago I returned almost every year. I am not going this year and I am already missing it

Just to give you an idea:

.... 1,600 exhibitors from over 50 countries will be presenting their innovations for the coming season in 17 Düsseldorf exhibition halls from 21 to 29 January 2012 – from fishing rods right through to luxurious large yachts....

International and unrivalled for boats and yachts Messe Düsseldorf expects some 650 foreign participations at boot 2012. This means more than one in three exhibitors will come from abroad...An unrivalled international array of boats with 1,700 types of all sizes spreads over eleven exhibition halls. ..

Boot Düsseldorf is a must for yachtsmen! Halls 16 and 17 await them with a top-notch range of sailing boats and yachts presented by 150 exhibitors.

Particularly positive is the trend in the small yet refined, special segment of catamarans and trimarans which were given their own separate, dedicated platform in Hall 15 last year. The concept went down so well that many exhibitors have decided to extend their presentations at boot 2012, i.e. they now wish to bring their boats rather than information stands to Düsseldorf. 15 suppliers in Hall 15 will be covering all aspects of the popular multi-hull sailing.

Probably you will not find all the sailing boats there, but this will give you an idea:

boot 2012 - Sailing Boats & Yachts

Some movies from last year's edition:

Guten Tag, Düsseldorf ! - Annonce bateaux - Annonces bateaux - Occasion Bateaux - Occasion Voiliers - Occasion voiles

If you go buy the tickets on line. The tickets includes a free transport title for the city public transport service (for the day).

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2012

Well, If you are like me dreaming with cruising, this photo montage (from Yacht Magazine) give you good suggestions, with very nice pictures and even if you don't understand German they show some maps. Really nice suggestions on the Liguria coast, North of Rome till Genova, in Italy. Enjoy

http://www.yacht.de/reise/audio_slid...el/a62565.html

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
THEY HAVE MADE IT!!!!

New world record on the circumnavigation time:

45 days 13 hours 42 minutes 53 minutes.

Loïck Peyron and his team own the Jules Verne trophy and they were a lot faster than Jules Verne.

They have made 29 002 Nm at the incredible average speed of 26,51 K
The finish: look at that well deserved joy.

http://www.voilesetvoiliers.com/cour...arge-demotion/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...on-record.html

Last edited by PCP; 01-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2012

I know this is a bit out of the scope of the thread but I have been enjoying this and I want to share. Actually I think that it is a great help to study a cruising voyage on those regions and even if it is in German some will understand and even if not, they show the maps and the places so it is self explanatory (from the "Yacht" magazine:

Cyclades:

http://www.yacht.de/reise/audio_slid...en/a61139.html

Virgin Islands:

http://www.yacht.de/reise/audio_slid...ln/a67463.html

Thailand:

http://www.yacht.de/reise/audio_slid...el/a51997.html

Last edited by PCP; 01-09-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2012

After the Swedestar 370 a new Swedestar 415 is coming. They are going to have the 370 on Dusseldorf and presenting the 415 project.

The Swedestar is not much of a looker, well it is very nice, well made but it don't looks a new model. It is as classic as it can be. The boat has not an open transom, only one wheel and the profile looks classic not to say some year's old. So what makes it so special that the market had given clear signs that wanted a boat like the 370 but bigger?

Well, it has Swedish quality (and price) it is more narrow than most the competition, as an huge B/D (42% on a bulbed keel) and lot's of sail. It is a very fast performance cruiser and its looks are deceiving, I mean it looks luxurious classic and slow. Well luxurious it is, slow it is not

YachtingMonthly tested the the boat in 2010:

They have give it 9 points out of 10 in performance, helm feeling, chart table and galley quality and an overall 8 point classification (out of 10) that is quite good for their standards.

They have said:

The Swedestar 370 makes an impressive début. The quality of craftsmanship is up to Swedish standards and the mahogany is beautifully finished, but she needs a few refinements to justify her place in the luxury bracket. The conventional deck layout works well and the helm feels fabulous.

I feel she's too thoroughbred for cruising. The sailplan is huge and the boat is light so, despite a decent ballast ratio, you'll be reefing in anything over a Force 3. For most of us, the cruiser-racer balance here is skewed too far towards performance.

Swedestar 370 | Single Hull Boat Reviews | Yachting Monthly | Single-Hull Boat Reviews | Yachting Monthly

This gives you an idea of what the 415 is going to be, narrow as its small sister (3.75m of beam to 12.61m over all) it will have a lot of ballast and considering that it will not be heavy with 8000kg. 92.5 m2 of sail on a narrow hull will make it a fast boat with a great interior with classic looks. If you have more than 350 000€ to give for a 41ft boat, like classic looks and fast boats, this could be an interesting one.

Last edited by PCP; 01-09-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2012

A new walkabout, even lighter. If the boat is strong enough this will be a very interesting boat, the 37 Med:

Main Dimension:
Lenght Overall
11,68 m
Hull Lenght
11,00 m
Lenght at Waterline 10,80 m
Maximum Beam 4,00 m
Draught 2,15 m
Keel weight 1600kg
Light Displacement 3700 kg
Sail Plan
Sail surface 80 mq
Engine
Yanmar 22 Hp
Architect David Reard
Technical data
Keel weight / Displacement 43.3 %

A very light boat with a huge B/D ratio and a lot of sail for such a light boat (3700kg for 80m2).

They say about the boat:

A new lightweight 37-feet designed for fast and safe navigation in the Mediterranean and for offshore race.

The hull is made in a sandwich composite (multi-axial glass fabric / PVC / multi-axial glass fabric epoxy laminates) and with round bottom and a single edge.

It is possible to install 2 ballast to improve upwind performance and have a retractable keel to reduce the draft.

This is a kind of Italian Pogo, even lighter (the 37 has the same weight of the Pogo 10.50, that is a 35ft boat) with better interiors. It is not too light? I don't know, the Pogo is not made with epoxy resin, this one is and that should make this one 500/800kg lighter, but even so It seems a miracle to me.

The same boat (37) on its "Voyage" version has 4896 kg. That seems a more realistic number. 1200kg between the two versions seems too much.

This is a test sail by SoloVela (Italian Sail magazine) of the WALKABOUT 43, the bigger sister. He have already talked about this one. It has a nice interior for this kind of boat.

Old 01-10-2012

Some Days ago when I was in Fumicino taking photos of that Comet 31 (that I posted recently) I meet Andrea from Comar Yachts that seeing me interested in the boat asked me if I wanted to take a look at the shipyard (Comet is made by Comar).

Well some ladies like to look at window shops, I like to look at boats and boat shipyards so I jumped into the opportunity. Comar shipyard is big and very latin, I mean nothing of the Nordic military efficiency, here they work with what seems to be a comfortable disorganization

What I found more unusual was the huge variety of boats being made: Some small one class racers, some 35fters, some big boats between 50 and 60ft and a really big 85ft, this one for the Italian navy (lucky cadets). The boats are built with great care but almost fully customized, made by hand and they make practically everything there without almost no resourcing to outside services. That explains the very good quality of their boats but also their price, that is a bit higher than mass production boats but even so not as expensive at Nordic boats.

I found out that they also use an internal steel reinforcement grid where the keel and shrouds are connected but instead of being glued to the hull it is completely stratified inside the hull. They use vacuum bagged cored hulls (with airex on the core), vinilester or epoxy resins and some boats are made completely in carbon, including the big ones.

They seem to have the ability to build anything regardless of the size or material, providing it is a composite. I guess they will end up giving up building small boats and that they will focus on really big boats like many companies that work with top quality and customize their boats. There is little profit in custom small boats and a lot more on big boats.

While they still make small boats (I have already posted about a 38ft) let's have a look at one of the most recent, the Comet 35s, a kind of First 35 with Italian flair:

They say about the boat:

From the hull to the carpentry, from the flush hatches to the steel, most of the components you will find on your COMET have been custom-made in-house. The hull and deck are made in Airex sandwich, using unidirectional and biaxial web and epoxy vinyl resin. Airex is glued to the skins in a vacuum and the reinforcements are stratified directly on the hull, without using female moulds, thereby obtaining maximum structural rigidity.

The Comet 35’s standard layout comes with 2 cabins both with comfortable double-berths, large closets and a large head. The saloon, with a large convertible couch and a second sofa in front of it, is very bright thanks to the extensive windows and four skylights. The dinette offers ample storage space, with an L shaped galley to the right of the ladder, well equipped with a large working area, in front of the chart table. The finishings are in solid and laminated American cherry wood, ensuring a modern and welcoming ambiance.

The objective of the small Comar Yacht cabin cruiser is to maintain the full range concept: modern lines, excellent seaworthiness and the top notch livability. A challenge that becomes more interesting in small sizes. The cruiser vocation of the Comet 35, becomes pure racing fun and in both instances the hull stability allows seamless boat management even with a reduced crew. By reinterpreting the sleek and well balanced lines typical of the Sports Comar range, even in the 35 we can recognize the harmony of the deck where the deck house, well integrated with the hull lines, offers excellent interior livability.

Specification:

Lenght overall 11,05 m
Hull lenght 10,65 m
Waterline lenght 9,21 m
Beam 3,64 m
Draft 2.10m
Std. Ballast 1.600 Kg
Displacement 5.500kg
Mainsail 40,00 mq
Genoa 40,00 mq
Spinnaker 93,00 mq

5500kg isn't bad for a 35ft and 80m2 is a lot of sail for the weight. The boat has a lot of form stability and those 1600kg are a on an elongated lead torpedo and both things put together make this a stiff boat. A stiff boat with lot's of sail for the weight makes a fast boat.

On the test sail from "Vela e Motore" they measured with 18K wind:

45º-6.5K....60º-7.6K....90º-8.2K....135-7.6K....150-7.1K

The interiors are of very good quality and the design is refreshing.

The boat costs a bit more than 120 000€ at the shipyard and I would say that is not too much for what is offered.

Last edited by PCP; 01-10-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.