Interesting Sailboats - Page 190 - SailNet Community
 1269Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1891 of 6763 Old 01-23-2012

The first 2012 edition of the German magazine Yacht presented the new Salona 35. Not yet a test, just a preview because the first boat will now only be presented in Düsseldorf. But their first analysis looks very nice (own translation, sorry for any inaccuracy):

The new Salona 35 replaces the 34 and J&J Designs have thoroughly reshaped their own design from 2008. Visual and conceptual changes have been made following the Salona 38 presented last summer, such as long roof windows and square ports in the hull.
Compared to the previous model the cockpit is more clearly structured and the main traveler is built in a sink. The transom is left open, with a bridged seat that secures the cockpit at sea and can serve as a gangway when moored. The twin wheels are a particular feature on this size of boat. The rig is traditional, with chain plates built inwards near the roof and strains brought to the hull structure internally. This makes it possible to use overlapping foresails up to 140%.
As in all Salona’s, strains are brought to a steel frame that is laminated into the hull. Therefore the Croatians now use carbon fibers.
Below decks also the 35 has a traditional lay-out, with two separated cabins, one heads compartment and a symmetrically shaped saloon. It is very similar to the former 34 but the designers have made a great effort concerning looks and attractive feel. The Salona 35 should be available at an attractive standard price of € 118.400.

Referring to Paulo’s experience with the design and build quality of Salona, I think this 35 may become a big success. For those who dislike the beamy “open” type of hull shapes and/or prefer overlapping foresails instead of a big fathead main, I think Salona may have hit the bull’s eye once again.

Kind regards,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 6763 Old 01-23-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Thanks Eric. while we wait that someone post online the first pictures of the Salona 35 that as you say has been presented in Dusseldorf, Yacht Magazine has posted some photos of the new Hanse 415:

The Hull looks smart and the cockpit looks great. It is a pity that table that seems too big for the cockpit (when folded). The boat has an interesting approach in what regards rigging with the four winches on the cockpit near the man at the wheel, instead of two near and two over the cabin. Seems an interesting solution. That massive bomb on the keel would also be nicer if smaller I mean if lead was used instead of iron. Maybe it can be done was an option.

The interior, well, it is a deception: It is a Hanse Ikea type interior, I would say, as expected. I don't understand why they don't hire a good professional team to design a modern good looking interior. The French with a similar quality are miles away in what refers looks and design.

This one Is even more odd than the others: Why in the hell they put the outside view (port window) on the galley? It would not make more sense to put them on the saloon?

Regards

Paulo
post #1893 of 6763 Old 01-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The interior, well, it is a deception: It is a Hanse Ikea type interior, I would say, as expected. I don't understand why they don't hire a good professional team to design a modern good looking interior. The French with a similar quality are miles away in what refers looks and design.

This one Is even more odd than the others: Why in the hell they put the outside view (port window) on the galley? It would not make more sense to put them on the saloon?
I agree. The hull port is in the wrong place. The dark, vertical wood grains not only make the interior look cheap, they also shorten it visually.

Also on deck, carbon wheels suggest this boat is supposed to be used for sailing. But any sailor knows the big stand-alone display on the cockpit table will only be useful to watch TV in the harbour. It will not survive the first day of sailing in any but the lightest conditions.

I think Hanse needs a lot more coaching from their Dehler crew...

Best regards,

Eric
post #1894 of 6763 Old 01-23-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Two movies on the Dusseldorf Boat show, one with the Hanse 415 other with the Bavaria Vision 46:

post #1895 of 6763 Old 01-24-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

The main competition for the Bavaria 46 will come probably from Jeanneau and his Ds line.

Yacht magazine has tested the Sun Odyssey 44ds (you can download the test), here is the movie:

Die Deckssalonyacht mit der Augenbraue - Yacht TV

Well, the boat has a great aft cabin but is that enough to chose it over the SO 439? The 439 has the same hull is a nicer looking boat has less windage a more sportive rig and his an overall better balanced boat. Well it is, if you let your wife chose the boat

Last edited by PCP; 01-24-2012 at 06:31 PM.
post #1896 of 6763 Old 01-26-2012

Is it fair to say that the term "deck saloon" has been misused by brands such as Jeanneau and Hunter? The latest Jeanneau is just a big eyebrow, and same hull? To me, d.s. and pilothouses have the design characteristic of being able to stand (galleys) or even sit (dinettes, nav stations) looking above deck and forward. Some examples of TRUE DSs in RMs, Sirius & Moody. I don't know what to properly call this new generation of well-skylit boats that call themselves deck saloons. Oyster has done an authentic, fluid and fabulous line design with this deck saloon "hybrid" I'm calling. Paulo starts to address the subject in the Southerly post above. Gunfleet seems to suffer the same issue. The question remains, where do deck saloons cease to be in these interesting sailboats? Is it a misuse of the term? Are we going to allow the charter industry redefine these? What should they be called? With more and more hull portlights, which I like best, I think some boats do a great job of bringing the horizon in (which I think is the goal in many cases). Limit the steps from cockpit to saloon to define?

Finally, just a quick BIG thanks and congratulations to Paulo for having this thread. I do not post much, but it is a blog in its own to me, and I look forward to it EVERY day. I'm an architect by training and just love to see and learn where marine technology and consumer trends are taking boat design. One day, maybe, print it and turn it into a book! I know the names of some collaborators to that book here as well.
Thanks to all and please keep it up!
Hans
Dorado, Puerto Rico
post #1897 of 6763 Old 01-26-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
Is it fair to say that the term "deck saloon" has been misused by brands such as Jeanneau and Hunter? The latest Jeanneau is just a big eyebrow, and same hull? To me, d.s. and pilothouses have the design characteristic of being able to stand (galleys) or even sit (dinettes, nav stations) looking above deck and forward. Some examples of TRUE DSs in RMs, Sirius & Moody. I don't know what to properly call this new generation of well-skylit boats that call themselves deck saloons. Oyster has done an authentic, fluid and fabulous line design with this deck saloon "hybrid" I'm calling. Paulo starts to address the subject in the Southerly post above. Gunfleet seems to suffer the same issue. The question remains, where do deck saloons cease to be in these interesting sailboats? Is it a misuse of the term? Are we going to allow the charter industry redefine these? What should they be called? With more and more hull portlights, which I like best, I think some boats do a great job of bringing the horizon in (which I think is the goal in many cases). Limit the steps from cockpit to saloon to define?

Finally, just a quick BIG thanks and congratulations to Paulo for having this thread. I do not post much, but it is a blog in its own to me, and I look forward to it EVERY day. I'm an architect by training and just love to see and learn where marine technology and consumer trends are taking boat design. One day, maybe, print it and turn it into a book! I know the names of some collaborators to that book here as well.
Thanks to all and please keep it up!
Hans
Dorado, Puerto Rico
Thanks Hans,

I think you are right. There are few true deck saloons on the market and none not expensive or among the mass production boats. Hanse had one some years back as well as Dehler but they were not a commercial success and they stop making them.

They also call them raised deck saloons but I guess that what is raised is the ceiling

In most of them it has nothing to do with having a great view but with more interior space and light, less an interior of a boat, as they used to be and more like a modern apartment full of light. However a modern tendency on those boats is having also big port hulls that gave a good view and if you are near hills or if the coast line is not completely flat, those big superior "windows" will provide a view anyway and a good one if you are standing.

I like boats that have boat interiors but these interiors make a lot of sense for people that pass more time on anchor or at the marina than sailing (and they are the majority) and use many times the boat as an apartment. Understandably, in a boat that is used much more as a second house than as a sailing boat, they would prefer a more airy and house type interior.

The new Oyster 625 (nominated for European boat of the year on the Luxury cruiser class) is a good example of a boat with one of those interiors, I mean it is a very good one. The boat is not particularly good looking on the outside, but that interior is just sweet, for the ones that want an house/boat and have the money for it. As you can see those huge port hulls are almost the size of small windows and will provide a good view while the raising ceiling and the almost zenithal lighting will provide a "big" airy interior,

But regarding the RM, to be precise, they are not deck saloons but pilot house boats.

I mean they provide an outside view but not to the ones on the saloon. The outside view is for the one in the chart table. The the idea is not only to provide a luminous and airy saloon but also the possibility to sail the boat (with the help of a joystick) from the chart table.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
post #1898 of 6763 Old 01-26-2012

Paulo, what's your opinion on the southerly 42RST? Seems like a relatively fast & comfortable cruiser. I've noticed they're starting to use node wiring as well. Seems like a great idea.
post #1899 of 6763 Old 01-27-2012

That Oyster is just beautiful.
post #1900 of 6763 Old 01-27-2012 Thread Starter
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericra View Post
That Oyster is just beautiful.
Do you have seen the "room" and the "kitchen"? I mead that is not a boat galley and a cabin but it is more like a small well designed apartment's kitchen and room:

Regards

Paulo
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.