Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
A new Southerly, the 420, that comes to replace the 42DS. Lots of space for a 42 ft boat, a truly great interior for living aboard, but an uglier boat, I mean in what regards the outside looks:

This one is a center cockpit boat and that means lot's of space on an aft cabin but also a high freeboard boat, too high in my opinion to make it a nice looking boat.

The other one, the 42 DS was a truly decksaloon, not this one that has a lower saloon. That permits a bigger saloon, but with limited views.

I guess that most people would gladly change the better outside views and a better looking boat for a bigger and very nice interior. The new 420 has certainly a bigger interior than the old 42DS and a very nice one.

Last edited by PCP; 01-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2012

New test on the Salona 38 by the German magazine "Yacht" and they have tested it in heavy weather....They have liked the boat specially in what concerns sailing qualities and quality/price.

(this photo was not from this test where only two sailed the boat, but a nice photo taken when Dean Barker test sailed the boat).

Yacht magazine has said about the Salona 38:

The new performance cruiser from Croatia scores not only with safe handling in the wave crests in Barcelona, ​​but also with good adaptability to racing and cruising. This 38ft is an interesting and economical alternative to X-Yachts, Solaris and Co.

Movie:

Neue Salona 38 im Schwerwettertest - Yacht TV

The last number of Yacht seems to be great in what boat testing is concerned and not only. On the same issue they tested the Salona 38, the Astus 18, the Archambault 34 (A34) the Sun Odyssey 44, the Amel 55 and still manage to have space for an article about Danish boats (on the front page a Luffe 45).

http://www.yacht.de/fileadmin/user_u...tel03_2012.jpg

Last edited by PCP; 01-19-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2012

The new Kiwi 40 FC ia an absolutely gorgeous boat. That is a NZ 40 class racer designed by Farr but it is a different class 40 because it is a more all around boast.

It is designed to to do well also on fleet crewed racing, or ocean racing out of the trades winds, the Sydney Hobart for instance. I am very curious to see how the boat will perform on both fields.

They are selling boats to Europe and to US and that means that there are a lot of sailors interested. They have also plans to develop a cruiser racer. Take a look at this hot boat:

Old 01-21-2012

First photos of the Bavaria vision 46, presented at Dusseldorf boat show, posted by Yacht magazine: The boat looks elegant and the hull seems slick. The interior is much more modern than on the last Vision and has space everywhere. The boat seems bigger than a 46 ft. The storage space is huge. This one would give a good boat to live aboard.

Last edited by PCP; 01-21-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2012

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
The first 2012 edition of the German magazine Yacht presented the new Salona 35. Not yet a test, just a preview because the first boat will now only be presented in Düsseldorf. But their first analysis looks very nice (own translation, sorry for any inaccuracy):

The new Salona 35 replaces the 34 and J&J Designs have thoroughly reshaped their own design from 2008. Visual and conceptual changes have been made following the Salona 38 presented last summer, such as long roof windows and square ports in the hull.
Compared to the previous model the cockpit is more clearly structured and the main traveler is built in a sink. The transom is left open, with a bridged seat that secures the cockpit at sea and can serve as a gangway when moored. The twin wheels are a particular feature on this size of boat. The rig is traditional, with chain plates built inwards near the roof and strains brought to the hull structure internally. This makes it possible to use overlapping foresails up to 140%.
As in all Salona’s, strains are brought to a steel frame that is laminated into the hull. Therefore the Croatians now use carbon fibers.
Below decks also the 35 has a traditional lay-out, with two separated cabins, one heads compartment and a symmetrically shaped saloon. It is very similar to the former 34 but the designers have made a great effort concerning looks and attractive feel. The Salona 35 should be available at an attractive standard price of € 118.400.

Referring to Paulo’s experience with the design and build quality of Salona, I think this 35 may become a big success. For those who dislike the beamy “open” type of hull shapes and/or prefer overlapping foresails instead of a big fathead main, I think Salona may have hit the bull’s eye once again.

Kind regards,

Eric
Old 01-23-2012

Thanks Eric. while we wait that someone post online the first pictures of the Salona 35 that as you say has been presented in Dusseldorf, Yacht Magazine has posted some photos of the new Hanse 415:

The Hull looks smart and the cockpit looks great. It is a pity that table that seems too big for the cockpit (when folded). The boat has an interesting approach in what regards rigging with the four winches on the cockpit near the man at the wheel, instead of two near and two over the cabin. Seems an interesting solution. That massive bomb on the keel would also be nicer if smaller I mean if lead was used instead of iron. Maybe it can be done was an option.

The interior, well, it is a deception: It is a Hanse Ikea type interior, I would say, as expected. I don't understand why they don't hire a good professional team to design a modern good looking interior. The French with a similar quality are miles away in what refers looks and design.

This one Is even more odd than the others: Why in the hell they put the outside view (port window) on the galley? It would not make more sense to put them on the saloon?

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-23-2012

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The interior, well, it is a deception: It is a Hanse Ikea type interior, I would say, as expected. I don't understand why they don't hire a good professional team to design a modern good looking interior. The French with a similar quality are miles away in what refers looks and design.

This one Is even more odd than the others: Why in the hell they put the outside view (port window) on the galley? It would not make more sense to put them on the saloon?
I agree. The hull port is in the wrong place. The dark, vertical wood grains not only make the interior look cheap, they also shorten it visually.

Also on deck, carbon wheels suggest this boat is supposed to be used for sailing. But any sailor knows the big stand-alone display on the cockpit table will only be useful to watch TV in the harbour. It will not survive the first day of sailing in any but the lightest conditions.

I think Hanse needs a lot more coaching from their Dehler crew...

Best regards,

Eric
Old 01-23-2012

Two movies on the Dusseldorf Boat show, one with the Hanse 415 other with the Bavaria Vision 46:

Old 01-24-2012

The main competition for the Bavaria 46 will come probably from Jeanneau and his Ds line.

Yacht magazine has tested the Sun Odyssey 44ds (you can download the test), here is the movie:

Die Deckssalonyacht mit der Augenbraue - Yacht TV

Well, the boat has a great aft cabin but is that enough to chose it over the SO 439? The 439 has the same hull is a nicer looking boat has less windage a more sportive rig and his an overall better balanced boat. Well it is, if you let your wife chose the boat

Last edited by PCP; 01-24-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2012

HMoll is on a distinguished road
Is it fair to say that the term "deck saloon" has been misused by brands such as Jeanneau and Hunter? The latest Jeanneau is just a big eyebrow, and same hull? To me, d.s. and pilothouses have the design characteristic of being able to stand (galleys) or even sit (dinettes, nav stations) looking above deck and forward. Some examples of TRUE DSs in RMs, Sirius & Moody. I don't know what to properly call this new generation of well-skylit boats that call themselves deck saloons. Oyster has done an authentic, fluid and fabulous line design with this deck saloon "hybrid" I'm calling. Paulo starts to address the subject in the Southerly post above. Gunfleet seems to suffer the same issue. The question remains, where do deck saloons cease to be in these interesting sailboats? Is it a misuse of the term? Are we going to allow the charter industry redefine these? What should they be called? With more and more hull portlights, which I like best, I think some boats do a great job of bringing the horizon in (which I think is the goal in many cases). Limit the steps from cockpit to saloon to define?

Finally, just a quick BIG thanks and congratulations to Paulo for having this thread. I do not post much, but it is a blog in its own to me, and I look forward to it EVERY day. I'm an architect by training and just love to see and learn where marine technology and consumer trends are taking boat design. One day, maybe, print it and turn it into a book! I know the names of some collaborators to that book here as well.
Thanks to all and please keep it up!
Hans
Dorado, Puerto Rico