Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMoll View Post
Is it fair to say that the term "deck saloon" has been misused by brands such as Jeanneau and Hunter? The latest Jeanneau is just a big eyebrow, and same hull? To me, d.s. and pilothouses have the design characteristic of being able to stand (galleys) or even sit (dinettes, nav stations) looking above deck and forward. Some examples of TRUE DSs in RMs, Sirius & Moody. I don't know what to properly call this new generation of well-skylit boats that call themselves deck saloons. Oyster has done an authentic, fluid and fabulous line design with this deck saloon "hybrid" I'm calling. Paulo starts to address the subject in the Southerly post above. Gunfleet seems to suffer the same issue. The question remains, where do deck saloons cease to be in these interesting sailboats? Is it a misuse of the term? Are we going to allow the charter industry redefine these? What should they be called? With more and more hull portlights, which I like best, I think some boats do a great job of bringing the horizon in (which I think is the goal in many cases). Limit the steps from cockpit to saloon to define?

Finally, just a quick BIG thanks and congratulations to Paulo for having this thread. I do not post much, but it is a blog in its own to me, and I look forward to it EVERY day. I'm an architect by training and just love to see and learn where marine technology and consumer trends are taking boat design. One day, maybe, print it and turn it into a book! I know the names of some collaborators to that book here as well.
Thanks to all and please keep it up!
Hans
Dorado, Puerto Rico
Thanks Hans,

I think you are right. There are few true deck saloons on the market and none not expensive or among the mass production boats. Hanse had one some years back as well as Dehler but they were not a commercial success and they stop making them.

They also call them raised deck saloons but I guess that what is raised is the ceiling

In most of them it has nothing to do with having a great view but with more interior space and light, less an interior of a boat, as they used to be and more like a modern apartment full of light. However a modern tendency on those boats is having also big port hulls that gave a good view and if you are near hills or if the coast line is not completely flat, those big superior "windows" will provide a view anyway and a good one if you are standing.

I like boats that have boat interiors but these interiors make a lot of sense for people that pass more time on anchor or at the marina than sailing (and they are the majority) and use many times the boat as an apartment. Understandably, in a boat that is used much more as a second house than as a sailing boat, they would prefer a more airy and house type interior.

The new Oyster 625 (nominated for European boat of the year on the Luxury cruiser class) is a good example of a boat with one of those interiors, I mean it is a very good one. The boat is not particularly good looking on the outside, but that interior is just sweet, for the ones that want an house/boat and have the money for it. As you can see those huge port hulls are almost the size of small windows and will provide a good view while the raising ceiling and the almost zenithal lighting will provide a "big" airy interior,

But regarding the RM, to be precise, they are not deck saloons but pilot house boats.

I mean they provide an outside view but not to the ones on the saloon. The outside view is for the one in the chart table. The the idea is not only to provide a luminous and airy saloon but also the possibility to sail the boat (with the help of a joystick) from the chart table.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-26-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Paulo, what's your opinion on the southerly 42RST? Seems like a relatively fast & comfortable cruiser. I've noticed they're starting to use node wiring as well. Seems like a great idea.
Old 01-27-2012

ericra is on a distinguished road
That Oyster is just beautiful.
Old 01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericra View Post
That Oyster is just beautiful.
Do you have seen the "room" and the "kitchen"? I mead that is not a boat galley and a cabin but it is more like a small well designed apartment's kitchen and room:

Regards

Paulo
Old 01-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Paulo, what's your opinion on the southerly 42RST? Seems like a relatively fast & comfortable cruiser. I've noticed they're starting to use node wiring as well. Seems like a great idea.
The Southerly 42 RST is the boat my wife would like to have. She does not sail actively but with many thousands of hours cruising, after testing with me lots of different sailboats and coming to many boat shows, she is not properly ignorant about boat design and she knows very well why she likes that boat. Of course it was not very difficult to explain to her that we cannot have that one. The boat is expensive, too expensive for us, too slow for me, but I really like a very fast boat, the same way I like a fast car.

The boat is very seaworthy, reasonably fast, very well built, with a great interior and great views to the exterior. The outside volume and shape is not too penalized by the height of the cabin and has that big bonus of having an insignificant draft.

That's why I was not very enthusiastic about the new Southerly 420 (post 2112) that I fear would replace this one. The new 420 is precisely that kind of raised ceiling saloon (also called with no much logic decksaloon) and not a true decksaloon like the Southerly 42 RST.

I only find the 42 RST a bit too heavy on the transom, I mean visually. With a beam brought more aft, a more clean design on the stern and eventually a redesign in interior style, the 42 could still have a long live ahead as a very modern and well designed boat. Actually I think that except in what concerns the interior (that is a different option and not comparable), the 420 is uglier than the 42 RST.

Southerly 42RST

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-27-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2012

Funny that you posted a pic of S/V Distant Shores. I happened upon their blog snd read it from start to finish. They went from the 42 to the 49. I REALLY like the idea of a swing keel and the freedom it offers to get closer to shore. Not to mention how it's designed to beach. Very expensive but nice to dream about a circumnavigation in one. As for speed it seems to do quite well against similar boats......

I guess what I'm saying is......your wife has great taste!

Ciao
Old 01-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Funny that you posted a pic of S/V Distant Shores. I happened upon their blog snd read it from start to finish. They went from the 42 to the 49. I REALLY like the idea of a swing keel and the freedom it offers to get closer to shore. Not to mention how it's designed to beach. Very expensive but nice to dream about a circumnavigation in one. As for speed it seems to do quite well against similar boats......

I guess what I'm saying is......your wife has great taste!

Ciao
When I am talking about "too slow for me" it is not on the video conditions, but with very light wind or with a lot of wind downwind. To go well I guess the Southerly will need at least 8K wind. I want a boat that can sail without almost no wind, I mean 4K wind and that can go well with 6K.

Downwind I want a boat that can plane with winds over 20K and that can go easily on 2 digit speeds. I know it is a lot for a cruising boat, but that is just what I want: I want not only a good sailboat but also a sportive sailboat. Besides cruising I would like to have a fast boat, a boat that can give a lot of fun sailing. I like sailing as much as I like cruising.

Yes, I don't doubt about my wife's good taste, after all she married me. In what regards boats I am lucky: If it is nothing very much naked as a Pogo, would not have a keel with more than 2.40 (even if everything with more than 2.00 m makes her protest) if the boat as an acceptable galley, a decent storage and it is a seaworthy boat, she would tolerate the rest just to make me happy.

She just loved the Grand Soleil 39 and would be happy with it. I love the boat too even if I would prefer the XP 38 that has a surprisingly nice interior (small but nice) with a good storage and a decent galley.

The Xp 38 has also passed my wife examination with flying colors. Not very big but with a very nice ambiance (you cannot see that on the movies or photos) and enough storage. So that would be the one if I had not any financial limitations. On that one I would not even had to put more weight on the keel, as on the almost affordable (for me) Salona 38, to make it a better offshore boat. As it is the boat is already a great offshore boat.

So, since we are talking about the XP 38 that I said here (before being inside the boat) that it seemed to have a very stark and small interior, a new video with the interior, by Solovela (and some others). The interior is not big (because the boat has 3 cabins) but is much more cozy than what it appears on the movies and photos. You can feel the quality of it.

MOVIE:

http://tv.yacht.de/video/Schn%25C3%2...f44f4fc8b8ce14

I don't have plans to circumnavigate but I agree that the Southerly 42 RST makes a lot of sense as a boat to circumnavigate. I didn't post "Distant shores" by accident, it was a somewhat hidden message to the ones that know who is the owner of that boat (or was). It is not by accident that one of the most experienced sailing couples bought a Southerly to their circumnavigations after having for many years a slow heavy old style blue water boat.

Cheers

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-28-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2012

Thanks!

Of the many boats that you've brought to light here, xp is another i find very interesting. I'd have to look azt my notes but i think the Xc line captured my attention a bit more and i would probably prefer a two cabin layout. There's been so many it's hard to keep them all straight! A fast cruiser with strong singlehanded capabilities would fit me well.

Regards,
Old 01-28-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
New Sirius 40: The boat plans will be shown in Dusseldorf.

A Sirius 40 will have all the space needed to live aboard. As most of you know these boats have an incredible detailed interior with the best quality I know or saw in sailboats. I am sure it will be an incredible boat.

Pity that the cabin on this Marc-Oliver von Ahlen design seems just a bit too high on what otherwise I find a nice looking boat.

Anyway on the Febuary 2012 PBO-Practical Boat Owner magazine you can see a test of the SIRIUS 310, very interesting and in my opinion gives a wide view about this brand.

They mentioned that some previous scandinavian perfomance boats are changing their minds. I mean they are considering to buy Sirius yachts.
Old 01-28-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
This Southerly 42RS in my opinion, from outside view doesn't look like a deck salon.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.