Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Thanks!

Of the many boats that you've brought to light here, xp is another i find very interesting. I'd have to look azt my notes but i think the Xc line captured my attention a bit more and i would probably prefer a two cabin layout. There's been so many it's hard to keep them all straight! A fast cruiser with strong singlehanded capabilities would fit me well.

Regards,
The Xc 38 is a great offshore cruising boat, the rational choice, like a BMW. The Xp is a passion choice, also an offshore boat, but like a Porsche

The Xc has a luxurious interior, the Xp is more Zen but both got what it is needed for cruising. The XC has more tankage but in what regards diesel the Xp needs a lot less wind to sail and you can always mount an watermaker.

Here, some movies with the Xc 38:

MOVIE:

Der goldene Schnitt aus Dänemark - Yacht TV

Ciao

Paulo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2012

New boat: The OVNI evolution 52.

That's a true revolution on OVNI, the most famous bluewater French boat. The new series are still aluminum centerboarders but they have abandoned their overall conservative design to present a true modern line based with the hull based on the shape of solo Open boats, a Marc Lombard design.

Also for the first time they present the possibility of a completely closed dog house an ugly one in my opinion. But if we don't consider that this is a good looking boat that for the first time show lines that are not very far away from its more sportive cousin, the Cigale 16.

Some interesting solutions: The wheel can be on the usual place or more at the center, inside the dog house, the boat has a garage for a dinghy with 3.10m and utilizes the same interior solution as the Benetau sense, meaning that the boat has no properly aft cabins (just a very small one to sleep while sailing, I mean for an eventual skipper) and that all the space is used for the garage and storage.

The announced price is around 500 000€ and that don't seem much for an aluminium boat of this size.

A 47 footer will also be made along the same lines.

Of course, in what regards the Cigale 16, that is just a bit longer and is also made by Alubat and designed by Marc Lombard, this boat just seems more like a Cigale than the previous OVNI but the differences between the two boats in what regards sailing are HUGE. Just to give you an idea this one weights 16 000 kg, the Cigale 16, 10 750kg. Both boats have about the same sail area (the Cigale has a bit more) and the Cigale has less 5 250kg. You can imagine the difference specially in what regards going downwind over hull speed and sailing with light winds

But if the Alubat 52 will be slow if compared with a Cigale if we compare it with the Benetau Sense 50 the story will be other: The Sense is smaller weights about the same ( less 700 kg) but has less 13 m2 of sail and that and a smaller LWL will made the Ovni faster in all points of sail except probably close upwind and of course with the possibility to avoid bad weather staying on anchor in very shallow waters.

Last edited by PCP; 01-29-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2012

APP Mode is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
You mean it is well designed? I agree.

Regards

Paulo
Yes it is !
Old 01-29-2012

For the ones that are interested in understanding what is the fastest boat to sail solo, I mean if you are just a good sailor and not a professional one, the Transaquadra is on again. They left Madeira to the Carib, now with all boats together.

Many boats close to the leadership that is for the moment on the solo category for a A35 and on the duo, for a Jeanneau SF 32.

The leader on solo is French but on duo it is an Italian team that is leading. That should piss a lot of French

Transquadra 2011

As we have saw on the first race, the Sun Fast 32 and the Archambault 31 (not to mention the 35) are faster with a short crew then boats with a bigger rating like several First 40,7, several Grand Soleil 40, a Confortina 42, a Sun Odyssey 49, a Sunfast 40 and a 37 Grand Soleil Race.

Nice images from a JPK 10.10 that is now in 2th place on the solo cat.

Last edited by PCP; 01-07-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Xc 38 is a great offshore cruising boat, the rational choice, like a BMW. The Xp is a passion choice, also an offshore boat, but like a Porsche

The Xc has a luxurious interior, the Xp is more Zen but both got what it is needed for cruising. The XC has more tankage but in what regards diesel the Xp needs a lot less wind to sail and you can always mount an watermaker.

Here, some movies with the Xc 38:

MOVIE:

Der goldene Schnitt aus Dänemark - Yacht TV

Ciao

Paulo

Darn it! I've always thought of myself as more of a Porsche guy. In fact, this boat will someday be the Porsche I always denied myself......
Old 01-29-2012

I guess that everybody know the Hydroptere the fastest sailboat on the planet and contrary to some rocket sailboats that can only sail fast on flat sea and protected waters, this animal is an offshore boat.

But perhaps you don't know that some of you, I mean Americans, will have a possibility to see it flying: The boat is going to be shipped to America to try to beat an offshore record, Los Angels to Honolulu, next Mars.

The boat is a creation of a group of passionate people but most of all an Alain Thébault dream.

Here is the story of a dreamer and is dream made true:

2011 - l'Hydroptère - L'histoire d'un rêve - The story of a dream (8 min) from l'Hydroptère - Official page on Vimeo.

EricKLYC likes this.
Old 01-30-2012

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess that everybody know the Hydroptere the fastest sailboat on the planet and contrary to some rocket sailboats that can only sail fast on flat sea and protected waters, this animal is an offshore boat.

But perhaps you don't know that some of you, I mean Americans, will have a possibility to see it flying: The boat is going to be shipped to America to try to beat an offshore record, Los Angels to Honolulu, next Mars.
The Hydroptère is indeed a wonderful record breaking flying machine. But as Paulo stated very accurately, unlike the fragile experimental constructions used on flat water speed tracks, it’s a very accomplished concept that has already proven its extraordinary potential extensively.

The fact that it will now sail across the Pacific is another milestone in Alain Thébault’s project, which started more than 30 years ago with the dream of a certain Éric Tabarly…
Of course foils are now common on racing machines even offshore, but it seems the Hydroptère project will continue to be at the edge of research.

After breaking the so-called “sailing sound barrier” of 50 knots, Alain Thébault and his team have set themselves another incredible challenge: crossing the Atlantic in less than 72 hours. Therefore a new flying machine is to be built in 2013: the LIBRYD. The architects are VPLP, who just conquered the Jules Verne trophy with Banque Populaire V.

Alain Thebault

Best regards,

Eric
Old 01-30-2012

Hi Eric, thanks for posting.

Yes they are studying a big bird and I hope these difficult times won't cut their funding. The LIBRYD will be bigger, will have a rigid sail and on the back, instead of having a a foil on the central hull will have two, one on each ama.

We can see here the two boats, well the three because they have already a small one that is a sort of laboratory for the Libryd, the Hydropter.ch, that sails on the Geneve lake and is beating records. The boat has already sail at almost 40K and can maintain sustained speeds near 30K. Remember that this is a very small boat. Look at the picture:

The Libryd:

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 01-07-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2012

And since we were talking about the Hydropter lets also talk about the other boat that has also passed the 100km/h barrier, well it is not really a boat but a sail machine that can only sail on flat water, the Vestas Sailrocket 2. And on this time they were sailing with a journalist, one with big balls

Last edited by PCP; 01-07-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2012

On the Transquadra suprinsigly the two first boats are Solo boats, I mean the two classes mixed. The Duos are not keeping up with the best solos

A Dam good job by these two sailors, one in a A 35 another one on the JPK 10.10 the one that we saw on a movie some posts back.

Finally the movie from the race start: Lots of nice and interesting boats

depart mer por overlapprod

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.