Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
After 2 years the Farr 25 come to Europe, to Dusseldorf. Beautiful boat

but also a very expensive one: 58 000€ without transport, tax or sails. I guess that is why the boat has not been a success. The boat costs 2 times more than the new one design Bavaria, also designed by Farr. Yes the Farr 25 will be faster but not much. I bet the Bavaria is going to have the success this one doesn't have....but it is a beautiful boat, no doubt about that.

It has a well thought place for the engine. Not as good as the Elan 210 but neat:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2012

Also on Dusseldorf a new boat that I have already talked about and one that I like, the South African Pacer 310, a fast boat with a good interior and very good specifications:

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

Length Overall 9.5m
Length WaterLine 8.953m
Beam 3.33m
Draft 2m
Displacement 3055kg
Engine Size (STD) 13hp

SAIL AREAS

Upwind 54.95m2
Downwind 103.29m2

The hull and deck are built with using vacuum bagged hand lay-up. The laminated construction consists of hydrolysis - proof vinylester resin, multidirectional fabrics and Balsa as sandwich material. Internally the laminate is sealed using topcoat.

The boat is offered in Germany for about 89 000€ including 19% German VAT and that seems a fair price.

The boat is beautiful :

Hei David, why don't you consider a Pacer? They have a 37 that is a very nice boat and I am sure they can adapt the boat to all your requisites. They can deliver the boat there or on the Med and if you buy directly from the factory you should get a 30% discount.

Last edited by PCP; 01-07-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Black Pepper is definetly an attractive vessel, but the one to starboard deserves a mention as well: Henningson&Steckmest Scalar 36.
I know Paulo will likely find her old, traditional, slow and ugly (so, no comment needed ), but some of us might think she would make an attractive and sturdy bluewater cruiser. Traditional skeg hung rudder, encapsulated prop ( looks a lot like a PSC below the waterline), and the fit&finish looks impressive.
http://www.scalaryachts.com/html/sit...s_scalar36.pdf
Interresting enough this vessel is availlable in 3 configurations, including a real decksalon ( more like a pilothouse).
Has anyone here sailed one?
Bernd
Old 02-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Black Pepper is definetly an attractive vessel, but the one to starboard deserves a mention as well: Henningson&Steckmest Scalar 36.
I know Paulo will likely find her old, traditional, slow and ugly (so, no comment needed ), but some of us might think she would make an attractive and sturdy bluewater cruiser. Traditional skeg hung rudder, encapsulated prop ( looks a lot like a PSC below the waterline), and the fit&finish looks impressive.
http://www.scalaryachts.com/html/sit...s_scalar36.pdf
Interresting enough this vessel is availlable in 3 configurations, including a real decksalon ( more like a pilothouse).
Has anyone here sailed one?
Bernd
Great eye Bernd, it is in fact a Scalar 36 and as you say a slow boat, I would not say an ugly boat but definitively a not very interesting one, not because I don't like classical boats but because the design of that one is just old, particularly in what regards the hull.

Why the hell would someone have today a boat that has a hull and keel very similar to a Malo from the 80's? If you want that type of boat just buy a modern Malo and take advantage of 30 years of improvements in hull design.

I have already posted here about the Mystery 35, that one is not only a very beautiful boat as also a true modern classic with a modern keel and ruder :A beautiful, fast and seaworthy boat.

Both boats have about the same size and a not very different sail area and while the Mystery 35 weights 4 500kg the Scalar 36 weights 7 200 kg

That's the difference between an old design still made today and a modern design (Stephen Jones) with classical lines, a huge difference.

This one is the new 43. Same type of hull, keel and ruder.

Mystery 35

See the boat interior here. Be patient it will worth it:

Regards

Paulo
tdw likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 02-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2012

Some movies for the night: Wipe out

Last edited by PCP; 02-08-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2012

I have posted this in another thread and I think it would be of interest to post it here with some modifications. The subject is:

What happens to stability when we charge a modern boat?

Modern boats are not like old boats where the ballast was intern and the load was part of the ballast and indispensable to have stability.

On a modern keel ballasted boat the ballast is kept under the boat, on the keel, sometimes more than a meter under and because the boats displace very litte water and the hull is not deeply immersed, loading the boat, even with a good load distribution, has a negative effect on the GZ curve (arm's length curve) and therefore on the boat AVS and on the final stability.

But as we know what really measures the boat stability is not the GZ curve but the RM curve (moments curve) that is obtained multiplying the arm by the mass of the boat. So what we get is this:

If the GZ curve is worse, Why, on what regards most of the positive part of the curve, the RM curve is better? Simply because the added mass more than compensates the slight decrease of GZ in all points of the curve except in what regards the final stability and the AVS.

The Max righting moment will go up but in what regards the final stability, it will go down, as well as the AVS. On this case the AVS passes from 122 to 120.

Will the boat will be faster with a Max load than with a minimum load since he has more RM and can carry more sail? Every racer will tell you no. The added power cannot compensate the drag that the bigger weight will imply.

Will the boat be safer loaded than with no charge? That is debatable and it will depend on the boat and its B/D ratio but I will say that in most cases a boat with a half to 2/3 load will be safer. With this load the AVS and the final stability will not be yet much compromised and the boat would have a bigger positive stability and a bigger max righting moment.

But take care, when you approach the max load the final stability starts to be compromised and will be compromised if you go further than what the NA stated as a max load to the boat.

On the jeanneau boat manual (as in any other boat manual) they advise specifically on the safety precautions:

The boat shall not be loaded more with than the maximum load recommended by the builder, in particular the total weight of the food supplies, of the different equipment that are not supplied by the builder and of the persons on board.

If you will pass the Max load, that in this boat should be of about 5000 lb over the unloaded weight , the value of the AVS will decrease rapidly as the one from the final stability and you will have a boat with a compromised stability and not a safe boat to sail.

EricKLYC likes this.

Last edited by PCP; 02-09-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Great write-up. Love this kind of information.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 02-09-2012

Thanks Melrna, nice to know.

I have enjoyed this movie about Lazarote, Canary Islands posted by Voile and Voiliers:

Movie:

Lanzarote : du vent, des vagues et des volcans...

That's in French and I guess that a fair number understand French but even for the ones that don't understand the images are self explanatory.

Some hints for the ones that can't get much of what is said: Sunsail has there several First 40 for advanced sailing courses. There are also a nice charter company (at least the girl is pretty) with Dufour 40 (nice boat) that you can sail from Lazarote and leave at any other Island (for 300€ more), the Marinas are incredibly inexpensive and that's a sailing paradise:

Almost 25K wind all the time with water at 20º in winter.

That's why you see lot's of big racing boats there. The place is perfect for training. Nice places to stay on anchor too, if you don't mind the wind.

Last edited by PCP; 02-09-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2012

The new 50ft cruising boat from Elan, the 494, designed as usual by Rob Humphreys:

Rob knows how to do good seaworthy cruisers but I guess that it is not enough these days. The boat looks heavy and a bit fat. I don't think it is going to be a match to several other 50ft on the market. The interior is functional but unimaginative and quite stark. The bad quality of the renderings is not helping either.

I don't see easy times ahead for Elan. Yes they have beautiful 31ft and 35ft performance boats but most of the sales used to be with the cruising line...and I cannot sea where they are heading, with the 394 and this one.

Last edited by PCP; 02-09-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2012

myocean is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys,

my last post, quite a while ago, has been about multihulls. I am still convinced they are the right solution for my plans.

A brand new model has just been put into the water - this is a great design, isn't it?

Ulf
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting Sailboats-5x.jpg