Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
From Voiles & Voiliers: we know the French especially like the light and beamy “open” designs, but these get terrible IRC ratings so they are quite useless for handicap racing.
Marsaudon Composites in Lorient decided they wanted to do something about it and recently launched their first MC 34 Patton, named after the associated watchmaker, optimized for IRC.

Have a look at the basic figures:
10.50m (9.15 waterline) x 3.46m x 1.99m
3650 kg (1.900 kg ballast, > 50%!)
67m2 upwind

Estimated TCC is between 1.055 and 1.058

It has an inverted deck line to save weight in the extremities and create a little more headroom below decks without raising the roof too much. But no bulb in the leaded keel and only one pair of spreaders on the carbon mast to reduce the rating.
The hull is composite with glass reinforced infused vinylester and thermoformed foam, painted without a formal gelcoat layer.

At first glance the interior looks quite comfortable for a boat with definite racing ambitions, although the small, centered chart table looks very racy but quite useless.

Add a carbon mast and boom and this light boat will lift you about € 215.000, I presume without sails . But then you also get an personalized Patton clock and watch .

Light but well ballasted and with a sharply chined, beamy hull, this looks like a very powerful design. Wait and see what it will do around the buoys, especially when the prices are handed out .

Van Drop Box

Van Drop Box

Marsaudon Composites - Lorient - MC34 PATTON

Best regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012

myocean is on a distinguished road
Hi Paulo!
I read your post about buying new or old and the VAT issue.
Thinking about buying a new one or a use one - what do you think about buying the number 1 of a new model from a boat yard with a very good reputation (eg X-Yachts, Pogo or so)? One might get attractive discounts in such a case in the range of VAT. This is because not everybody likes to buy a boat nobody could ever test before (not even see it) and usually the number 1 is needed for some marketing tasks within the first months.
If you dont care so much about that it could be a good deal.
Ulf
Old 02-17-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road
Ulf,
I think if you live close to the yard, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But if you live in the US and the yard is in Croatia, it may be a while before you get a handle on all the baby illnesses, that are going to show up no matter how good the reputation of the yard is. Also, builders usually use hull#1 as a demo at the yard, and then sell it at a good discount after a few years.
Bernd
Old 02-17-2012

myocean is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to your new boat, Paulo!

For the purchase of a No1 I now remember that Fora offered such a discount even for the first 3 RM1260.

Ulf
Old 02-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Yes this time is for sure The surveyor had commented with my daughter that the boat had only a problem and that was that he could not find anything wrong and he like to find at least one problem in a boat.

The boat is in pretty good shape, has radar, 2 plotters (one outside), Navtex, webasto heating, rod rigging, mylar sails in very good condition, a 135% genoa never used, geenaker, bowsprit, removable stay, storm reef, 3th reef on the main, two heads and two freezers.

The only thing I have to review is attaching points for harnesses, permanent jacklines and handgrabs. That will be done by the Comet guys probably next winter.

Almost perfect in what I am concerned.
Congratulations Paulo!
Old 02-20-2012

daviid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Thanks Eric,

Yes this time is for sure The surveyor had commented with my daughter that the boat had only a problem and that was that he could not find anything wrong and he like to find at least one problem in a boat.

The boat is in pretty good shape, has radar, 2 plotters (one outside), Navtex, webasto heating, rod rigging, mylar sails in very good condition, a 135% genoa never used, geenaker, bowsprit, removable stay, storm reef, 3th reef on the main, two heads and two freezers.

The only thing I have to review is attaching points for harnesses, permanent jacklines and handgrabs. That will be done by the Comet guys probably next winter.

Almost perfect in what I am concerned.

I have signed the contract pay now a part and only finish to pay the boat when it is delivered to me in June. In the meantime the boat is going to stay on the hard. This strange deal has to do with the owner not to have to pay 21% VAT on the rest of the leasing but only half and that means the boat was less expensive for me.

Regards

Paulo
Hi Paulo

Felicitations!! Chappeau! Bravo!

You will have to up our/my knowledge on the Comet as a brand.

I have no doubt that it has worked out perfectly for you.

Looks like you have got yourself a real beauty.

All the best

David
Old 02-20-2012

G1000 is on a distinguished road

Would be great if someone could post key points from the test Film fra Pogo 12.50 test : Seilas.no
EricKLYC likes this.
Old 02-20-2012

Cheers Paulo!
Let the surgeons know there is a Belgian collegue looking overt their shoulder .

This video has been recorded during the "European Yacht of the Year" trials in Barcelona. It probably illustrates the main reason why the Pogo has been elected in the "performance cruiser" category.

Of course this was a broad reach, the speciality of the Pogo. But the difference in apparent wind almost makes it an upwind course, compared to the "victim" (Grand Soleil 50'). Which is, by the way, not very well sailed: look at the sheeting angle and trim of the solent .

Best regards,

Eric
Old 02-21-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post

Would be great if someone could post key points from the test Film fra Pogo 12.50 test : Seilas.no
You just have to look at the broad smile on the face of the testers not to mention the yelling. Even if badly sailed the Grand Soleil 50 is a fast boat, a bit heavy. The problem is that for that wind the Grand Soleil would need a bigger Geenaker...and a lot of crew to tame it while the Pogo can go happily with the genoa and solo sailed if needed.

Of course upwind even badly sailed, the Pogo would not be a match for a Grand Soleil 50, but we are talking about a 50ft boat versus a 41ft boat, that's a huge difference in LWL.

Regards

Paulo
Old 02-21-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Some more videos from the Transquadra:

Vicariot on a JPK 10.10, first on solo (real time and handicap) and on the front pack among the fastest duos. Great race:

3 swinhoe por overlapprod

Hamon and the Sun fast 3200 that arrived 2th on real time on solo:

festa por overlapprod

And the most funny one, the one that arrived 6th on solo but second on compensated (A31) with a close encounter with a whale

The funny is that the boat is called BalleineBlanche that translates as whitewhale

baleine contre baleine por overlapprod

And for last, my old boat, a Bavaria 36 that even loaded with a lot of stuff (they even carried the back bench that I used only for a week, not to mention all the stuff for producing energy) was not the last (6 boats behind):

arrivee mercredi matin por overlapprod

Also a very special comment for a Benetau 37 that made a good race ( a lot better than the Bavaria).